Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone done the Mojo HD 140-160 thing?
  • vinnyeh

Seem to be a few more around now so someone on here might have done it- converted their 140 to a 160 (or the other way).

Looking for thoughts on how the bike’s feel and handling changed, and what shock you used- a correctly tuned RP23, a randomly tuned airshock, or a coil?

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ve a HD140 and I’m always wondering what it would be like at 160. I’ve read about people changing from 140 to 160 and wouldn’t go back (on MTBR’s Ibis forum). I’ve heard one of the best setups is with a Rockshox Monarch RT3 and a Lyrik fork with the 170mm DH damper. The problem with this, for me at least, is that it would be too much bike on the smoother stuff and/or trail centres. I could keep on changing the shock and fork over but it would be easier having separate bikes…My 140 is a hard hitting trail bike, the other setup could get me into trouble quickly. Lopes races DH on his, I’d be needing a full-face and pads!

gunners
    Free Member

I am running mine at 140 for trail stuff and 160 for trail centre and wales.

At 140 its a bit stiffer on the climbs and feels fast. At 160 its a bit plusher but hits the bumps better going fast downhill.

I have two Fox RP23’s – one for each stroke length and a set of Limbo chips for each one. Its a bit extravagant and I reckon the 160 is the one I would keep if I could only have one- but I dont 😉

richc
    Free Member

At almost 2.2K for the frame the Ibis HD seems mental to me, or did you get your from the states

d45yth
    Free Member

Richc – the new price is more like 2.5k with the Kashima shock. They still cost a lot less than what folk spend on cars though and I know what I get more enjoyment from. Saying that, these kind of frames with top components and you’ll be talking 6-7k! I wouldn’t buy a bike from the States either, I prefer the piece of mind of a UK warranty.

rhysw
    Free Member

Keep it at 140mm and put some Fox float 36’s on there to slacken the head angle, 140mm -160mm on the rear does not make a huge difference. If you want it plusher goes for a Cane creek or Fox RC4 coil shox. This set up would be real nice

julians
    Free Member

some retailers will discount them if you ask nicely, I got mine for £1800 back in august, but it was a 2010 frame – not that there was much difference between it and a 2011 version.

Havent tried to 140 thing, I’m happy with mine at 160mm for all conditions, I do wind the fork down sometimes, but not very often.

rickmeister

Got fox 36 Talas on mine, seems to cover pretty much all conditions. Dont think I would like to go with a longer fork.

obese
    Free Member

im have got a 160 setup on loan to see what how i get on it in comparison to the 140 which i love. both rp23 shocks set up for the hd just one is kashima so not real difference so its a good back to back comparison. hopefully this weekend ill get out to give it a blast

heihei

I run both extensively.

In 140mm rear I run 160mm BOS Deville forks and feels nice and low, still pretty slack, and sprints nicely. I run it with an RP23 at the moment but likely to get a BOS VIPR to match the forks.

In 160mm mode, I’ve run it with air (BOS Deville and RP23) and coil (180mm Totem and CCDB). In air mode, it feels like a long-legged XC bike, which is ok but doesn’t seem to be a big advantage over the 140mm mode in terms of plushness but you lose the nice’n’low feeling. In coil mode, it feels like a mini downhill bike, which is lush!

vinnyeh

Thanks all for the comments.

I think I’ll pick up the parts for this, I’ve got some Lyriks, and I’ll buy a Van RC or perhaps one of the RSP Duellers.

Going to to be a lot cheaper than buying a new bike.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone done the Mojo HD 140-160 thing?’ is closed to new replies.