Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone bought a GoPro from the US?
  • grumm
    Free Member

Just wondering how much the import duty would be and whether there are any issues with it being NTSC rather than PAL?

They seem a lot cheaper from the US on ebay.

Ta

Padowan
    Free Member

I did, a while back.

Paid about $30 for shipping and then had to pay £32 in import tax based on the value that the seller had put on the item which was $199 rather than the retail of $299.

Took about a week or so to arrive. I also bought a cheap 32GB card from Hong Kong – apparently these can be risky, but mine seems to work fine. So all in all, including the camera, postage, taxes and a 32GB card from HK, I paid a total of something like £250.

No issue of PAL/NTSC as you can set this in the options on the camera.

grumm
    Free Member

Nice one ta – just what I needed to know.

Northwind

Mine should (according to Parcelforce) be arriving today, but hasn't yet. I had to pay £21.25 including the ripoff £8 handling fee- I've no objection to the tax but that Parcelforce charge is a joke IMO. But still much less than buying in the UK. Course, if I ever need to make a warranty return I might regret the choice, but my standard Gopro Hero has been flaweless so I'm not too bothered.

Oh, I got mine from this guy:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/unique-squared-inc

And he accepted an offer of $250 including the SD card, which I'm pretty pleased with really!

Northwind

…and it just arrived, woo! Along with a rollbar mount for frame mounting.

MadPierre

Ordered mine from Pinkbike. Saved about a hundred quid!

The nice folk there know the score and marked the package as value $30 so didn't get stung 🙂 Top fellas!

Lummox

As above pinkbike is the way forward, mine was delivered safe and secure and without any other taxes

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks again – will have a look at pinkbike 😀

edit: that ebay store looks good too

BTW do I want a 'wide' one or not?

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

I live in California, and bought one for a buddy and shipped it across a few weeks back.

The HD's are going for around $275, so $300 with tax. If I would send it across I'd simply reduce the value, state as used and also as a gift. Thid way you'll pay no tax. However if it gets lost, you'll only be balt to claim the stated value form FedEx / UPS

If you want a hand let me know,

Nath

DT78
    Free Member

Whats the difference between the US version and the canadian version on pinkbike? (other than price)

singlespeedstu

BTW do I want a 'wide' one or not?

Neither. You want the HD.

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks folks – b a c o n that's very kind but I think It's only fair to take my chances with the duty. 🙂

DT78 – was wondering the same

singlespeedstu – I thought there was a HD wide option but it looks like I was wrong

singlespeedstu

Isn't 170 degrees wide enough for you?. 😉

DT78
    Free Member

Bit of research looks like the canadian version is that price due to retail price being set by distributor. Appears to be no difference in the actual camera.

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers DT78

Ah hadn't noticed the HD one went to 170 degrees view when not it 1080p mode. That's the one then

MadPierre

I can confirm no difference between Canadian an US Pinkbike ones. It's just price due to tax things over there… HD is defo the one you want.

grumm
    Free Member

How long did it take to arrive from Pinkbike?

Finally ordered one on the 10th, still hasn’t turned up yet 🙁

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

In terms of PinkBike “knowing the score”, did you have to contact them or anything before purchasing?

grumm
    Free Member

I didn’t contact them, but then I don’t know whether I am getting charged import tax/VAT or not. I suspect with how long it’s taken it might have got held up by customs. 😡

grumm
    Free Member

Still hasn’t showed up 🙁

grantway
    Free Member

Firstly no complaints with Chain Reaction has they was brilliant for there
    service.
    To be honest I would buy in this country due to my experiances.
    But I bought one of these GoPro HD and the dam thing froze after setup.

Chain reaction was great and sent another straight away but that failed to
    work correctly was all shuddery so Chain Reaction gave my money back.
    GoPro was crap and not helpful at all and these are well known to fail
    so i would only buy from here but very tempting.

grumm
    Free Member

Woop mine finally turned up from pinkbike – and no duty to pay. 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone bought a GoPro from the US?’ is closed to new replies.