Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone been to Prague???
  • bumley
    Free Member

I’m off to Prague for a long weekend.

Anyone been before, looks like there is lots to see and do, would like to hear your recommendations.

stumpy01

I went to Prague in about ’99 before it got really touristy and it was great.
    I went again a few yrs ago and while I still enjoyed it, it was very busy. And the British stag do and hen parties kinda spoil it a little bit.

There’s loads to see and do there – probably best to get a guidebook from Smiths or wherever and work out a plan from that.
    You won’t see it all in a weekend.
    We found someone doing tours (starting from beneath the astronomical clock) and that was very interesting.

I won’t bother recommending any restaurants as to be honest, I can’t remember where they were and we never had one bad meal there. In fact, they were all bloody gorgeous.
    Don’t expect cheap beer anymore – particularly if you stay in the tourist areas.

Futureboy77

I went with a few mates a couple of years ago.

The castle is well worth a visit if that’s your thing. Other than that…drink and women occupied my time! 😆

When we were there, there wasn’t a huge amount of stag doo’s evident. Either it was a particularly quiet weekend or we were just lucky to avoid them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muggomagic

A very beautiful city. Some nice bars and restaurants near the bridge.

Some of the best value for money prostitutes in Europe too.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

If you go to any of the ‘special’ clubs then a) do not ever ever ever lose that ticket they give you when you go in b) offer to buy the barmaids a drink, they have very expensive tastes that you will be expected to pay for by the very very nasty bouncers/riot police types when you try and leave.

Nice place, went a good few years back, was mad cheap in those days. Enough for a nice weekend anyway, castle and the bridges are pretty.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Somehow, I don’t think Bumley’s going to be wanting to visit any of those kind of clubs!

Then again, she might. I don’t know. I know I woon’t. Woon’t want to get ripped off, watching lots of ladies showing their bottoms.

I’m sure there’s much cheaper ways of getting to see ladies’ bottoms…

bumley
    Free Member

I can’t believe after 6 months my bottom is so memorable!

Philby

Fabulous place – went for about 6 days and didn’t see any stag parties.

Tons of interesting places to see – Charles Bridge, Old Town Square with the famous Astronomical clock, the Jewish Quarter with its cemetary and museum relating to the Holocaust, Wencelas Square, the amazing Castle district with the St Vitus cathedral, and a few other churches with some amazing interiors, and if the weather is fine a boat trip down the river.

Also loads of great places to eat and drink – get a guide book such as Lonely Planet – we followed some of their recommendations and found some fabulous restaurants slightly off the beaten track and therefore much cheaper and more interesting than those in the main tourist areas.

And you must try a few shots of absinthe!!!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No! I din’t mean your bottom, Bumley!

I’m sure it’s very nice, though.

I think I’ll stop there, actually. Think the hole’s deep enough, now…

theotherjonv

for a genuine Prague pub, go to U Cerneho Vola up near the castle. Really unpossessing on first glance but proper inside. And you can sup away in the knowledge you’re doing work for charity – a few years back the pub nearly got sold to a group that wanted to renovate and update, so a group of locals formed the Friends of Beer party and stumped up for it. Word spread, and they needed something to do with the profits, so they give them to a childrens home now. So won’t you have another pint for the poor kiddywinks?

Good article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A4044980

theotherjonv
    singletrackmind

Pick pocket capital of Europe. So watch out, especially in tram queues. You can get a tram card which is very good value, if you decipher the routes. Get away from the main square for meals / beers as they will half in price.
    Ahoy = Hi or Hello

Dobri = Good
    Dobri Den = Good day
    Prosim = please
    Bromin = sorry
    Pivo = Beer
    Voda= water
    Jano = 1
    Dva =2
    Tre = 3

Worth spending a few days there, stunning architecture and history. Locals had it bad with first the Germans , then the Russians basically invading.

Some of the nicest beers in the world, particualy the velvet ones.

HTH STM

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

hmm, i went for 4 days last year, and it was more than enough to be honest. ok, we were on a shoe string and couldn’t afford to pay for many museums etc, and i guess that wasn’t my thing, but 3 days for me would have been enough.

i also found the czech people (perhaps prague in particular) to be exceptionally rude. worst were the people in the touris info place. my GF at the time was with me, and she works in a tourist info in the uk and was utterly shocked by their rudeness.
    didn’t find any nice restaurants either, they were rude too. one added a service charge AND a tip onto the bill before it got to us.
    oh, somewhere called czechy krumlov (almost definitely spelt wrong) was nice for a day

i’ll not be going back soon!!

but, er, yeah, i’m sure it is nice if you have money and can find polite people.

singletrackmind

Or your mates wife is Czech and does all the talking ?

slimtubing
    Free Member

Went in 97 and loved it! Pils was 56p a half litre, search out Bohemia Bagels for a simple cheap brekkie, Dva Cochek (2 Cats) is a nice wee trad eaterie very close to the City Square. watch out for pickpockets,I was grabbed by the Jacob’s by a 15 yr old gypsy girl and she managed to get her other hand into about 3 pockets before I could free my self from her (TTIWWP i know) little bugger was quick!!
    We still write….
    Enjoy it

Hairychested
    Free Member

Loads of times, starting with the Soundgarden & Faith No More & Guns’n’Roses concert many a year ago (Use Your Illusion Tour). Girls are friendly there, guys aggressive, beer tasty and streets crowded.
    Go in the Summer, if you don’t like it there you can go up to the mountains and ride proper singletrack for hours.
    BTW If you speak with any sort of strong accent, forget it. American is most common there.

BlobOnAStick

Went with my wife last year for our 10 year anniversary and walked everywhere. Stunning architecture and friendly people.

Really found the Museum of Communism (above Macdonalds and next door to a casio!) brought home the brutality of the soviet regime and reminded me of TV coverage of revolutionary riots I saw when I was in my early teens.

Castle was nice, as was Charles bridge, but a bit ‘formal’ tourist – lots of street vendors, so it is best to try and do these early in the morning before they get too cluttered.

We wondered up to the metronome that swings on the cliffs overlooking the city and found an area that was obviously very grand in it’s time but badly neglected now. Turns out there was a statue of Stalin there for years that was blown up as part of the liberation of the city. The metronome represents the passage of time (something along the lines of time healing all wounds).

I wouldn’t eat in any of the restaurants on St. Wencelas square. They are expensive and very poor. Having said that, we found restaurants elsewhere to be excellent, and the cafes and bars dotted around are superb for a relaxing beer/coffee.

We had about 5 days there, but to be honest this was maybe a day longer than really needed.

Ben

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We drove there in 1999, before budget airlines went there and so we could cane the company car on an autobahn. (nudged 140 BTW Saab 9-3 turbo) 😀

All I can remember is drinking Pilsner Urquel in the hotel bar paying 35p for 1/2 a pint.

It was 2quid a half in the main square.

Can’t remember much else except a nice bridge and an odd clock.

Tea-Voyager
    Free Member

I recommend seeing the above and the soviet museum and the jewish cemetery.

cuckoo
    Free Member

I was there last year. A beautiful city but now alot of the tourist activites are geared towards milking wealthy American visitors.

If you go for a few days and fancy a day outside the city the short trip to Karlstein Castle is worth the effort in my opinion. It is situated in some picturesque countryside too in the Cesky kras.

I found the people in Prague to be similar to city people elsewhere in the world. However in the countryside I found the Czech people to be very friendly, in general. We even thumbed a lift from one guy in Ceske Svykarsko without whom we would have missed the last train back to Prague and been in a right mess. He went about 10 miles out of his way, didn’t speak any English but wouldn’t accept any form of payment for his good deed.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been to Prague???’ is closed to new replies.