Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anyone been or going skiing?
  • jimmy

Wanting to book a holiday but reading the ski reports it doesn’t look too good conditions-wise. Any tips? States-side is an option but looking to hit Europe up primarily…

jam-bo

Are you a piste skier or an off-piste hero. French alps are struggling for snow at the moment and although the on-piste conditions are pretty good where they have snow making facilities I think there is no off-piste left to speak of.

I was in flaine week before last and it was more like spring conditions. Icy, rocky and muddy lower down but plenty of on-piste fun to be had higher up. If I hadn’t already booked and paid for something I’d wouldn’t be going until conditions radically improve.

jimmy

would be hoping for off piste. very frustrating – want to book but relying on a dump or two in the next 3 weeks…

jam-bo

Even if it does dump, consensus seems to be that the avalanche risk will be huge.

Snowheads forum is good for more info.

jamiep
    Free Member

I hope things pick up in Europe! – Ive two hols booked over the next month

samuri
    Free Member

I went mid January. It rocked a lot. Loads of snow where we were (Verbier), no people, bit foggy at times and it snowed once during the day, ho hum. rest of the time, sunny and bright and fun and ace.

HTH.
    Here I am

jon-la-chaux by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

And here’s my son doing very well in the air stakes.

big-jump by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

Dark-Side

Nice pics Samuri, I love Verbier.

We were in Les Arcs the week before last, and the conditions were getting a little bare and icy on piste, and there was very little off piste that wasn’t tracked out or hard. Hopefully the conditions improve soon as I’ve heard lower resorts are really struggling now.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

don’t come to morzine/avoriaz/les gets. pistes are ok… off piste is bare in places. we’re forecast snow at some point in the next week, but also a thaw after it.

you could bring your bike though…

pyrenees has had better snow, afaik.

lucien

Went to Italian Alps last week (Bardonecchia) and a) it snowed a lot there and b) they had lots of snow to begin with.

Had a great weeks skiing, reds and blacks, no off piste/back country although some available

Going to Cervinia at Easter also – snow reports fine at the mo

Never liked French skiing anyway 😯

Crell
    Free Member

Cervinia is always a decent bet due to the glacier, height and aspect, plus you can ski Zermatt as well depending on conditions.

Off to Are in Sweden again in a few weeks and they’ve had fresh snow this week. You could “go North”.

singletrackmind

Pyrennes ski resorts have the best snow at the moment . Lower altitude and smaller than the Alps , but having been to Meribel week before last I really would not bother heading there.

Sheet ice everywhere , snow cannoned pistes OK early doors , then scrubbed again by lunchtime . Off piste was a crud fest , slow and grabby .

The pistes were so hard you could not get poles to stand up , and my knees and shin splints suffered more than usual .

Go if you enjoy the sphincter tightening sound of sheet ice under your edges , or like skiing on an ice rink .

freeridenick
    Free Member

all change this week with plenty of snow forecast for the french alps 😛

I was in Chamonix/Flaine etc last week of Jan and it really wasn’t that bad if you know where to look.

a few pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/71958789@N00/sets/72157625944309550/show/

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

morzine this morning (ignore the foreground)…

all change this week with plenty of snow forecast for the french alps

heard that all too often since new year – i’ll believe it when i see it!

in fairness the piste bashers have done an excellent job, all things considered.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Still pretty good piste conditions here, off-piste is p*sh unless you’re prepared to do monster hikes. Apart from the last few days, it’s been cold so the snow has stayed in good condition.

Looking forward to a big snowfall this week though!

(I’m in Sainte Foy by the way, Tarentaise Valley generally has OK conditions at the moment. Mrs was in Les Gets last week for a day and said it was all green over there, but that’s super-super low).

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Western Alps struggling a little now esp with French school holidays – Go high. Canada is almost buried in snow I heard.

Rio

Pyrennes ski resorts have the best snow at the moment

Was ski touring in the Barege area the week before last; fortunately there was a fresh fall 2 weeks ago whithout which there would have been a lot of walking. Pistes were in good condition in Barege/La Mongie/Luz-Ardiden with little ice and the weather was fantastic but off-piste was getting heavy. I recall sitting in the cafe at the base at Gavarnie after climbing one of the peaks nearby and commenting that any British beginner or intermediate would have loved the conditions. But they really need more snow.

MisterCrud
    Free Member

Just came back from Annecy…riding the roadbike every day in +12 Degrees, no wind, no gloves. Got a great tan.
    If you want snow, wait till 2nd week in March at least, when the season quietens down. It will snow hard again, but no-one can say when.

Andy-W
    Free Member

Was in St. Anton the first week in Feb and on piste was great, clear blue skies every day just like spring skiing but without the slush..
    No fresh snow at all but people still hiking off piste looking for play times !!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Went to Avoriaz it sucked wish I had taken the bike up high it is ok bit even that is hard pack and the ice is unbelievable. If you haven’t booked and have option of US I would head there, Breck, Aspen etc had give dumps of snow. I wish I had gone back to Winter Park we were there last yr which was their worst season in 25yra still better than a good day in the Alps, snow is way better quality.
    US every time from now on.

Bunnyhop

Luckily we went over Christmas, with plenty of snow.

As said above, join snowheads.com (the skiing/snowboarding STW) with plenty of updates with the weather and current piste conditions.

Samuri – it certainly looks like you had a great time. Love Alex’s ‘big air’.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been or going skiing?’ is closed to new replies.