Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Anyone been 'let off' while speeding recently?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Cameras obviously don't use much discretion but anyone been pulled over recently and let off?

A 'friend' was let off with a quiet word doing 97mph recently but it was on an uncrowded motorway at 5:30am and the policeman said that he showed good lane discipline and used his indicators.

I used to get let off quite regularly when I used to be a 'road warrior' doing 30-40,000 miles a year. Just wondered if the police were still nice to the white middle class motorist.

jam-bo

they have to catch you before they can 'let you off….'

higgo
    Free Member

Nothing recent but I've been stopped three times and let off three times.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

MightyHiggs – Are you white, male and drive a reasonable car? I am/do and have only once been dealt with officially for speeding. That was at well over 100mph and he said that although it wasn't dangerous it was too fast for a verbal warning.

I wonder because a few people I know reckon the police nick them whenever they can and always prosecute. I was wondering if this was the luck of the draw, the way they behave towards the police, the car they drove or a combination.

plant
    Free Member

I'm going back many years (pre-cameras) and used to get stopped by the local Bobby and let off every-time (though once did include a 'verbal warning' by the station super). Probably helped as the local Bobby lived next door to my grandfather and the family name carried some local weight ……. in those days.

Doesn't help your answer – just thought I'd say it!

🙂

iDave
    Free Member

I was 'let off' in that I didn't get banned for doing 111mph on the M6 last year…

skidartist
    Free Member

It might be more to do with the circumstances of the offense, the context which people were speeding in.

Theres no discresion excercised by cameras, but cameras are typically positioned where speed related accidents are prevalent, if you were stopped in similar circumstances to ones where you might find a camera you probably wouldn't get much leniency from the cops.

And stopping you and talking to you is an action in its own right, even if it doesn't result in a charge or fine. Not stopping you would be 'letting you off'

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

skid – My 'record' was 114mph at 4am on the Oxford Ring road just passing the Cowley factory. About 20 years ago now so I was only a young bloke in my bosses shiny new car.

nickc

It depends on how they clock you. If they use a recording device and they have standing orders from the Chief Constable of the County, about speeds and so on (in Durham, for instance it was over 85) then their hands are tied, they'll book you. If it's "O-dark hundred hours", and you're on your own on the motorway and don't seem pissed or a cock and they've had their dinner, you might get lucky…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Guess I am lucky then.

krag
    Free Member

"Got away" with 3 points and a 60 quid fine for >115mph on a dual carraigeway by South Wales plod. What started as "Your gonna loose your license mate, get in the car" ended in "You seem like a decent chap, you just f**ked up".

binners

I got 'let off with 125mph in a 50 zone. Back in the dim and distant days of about 1991. Pulled by a police biker while out on my GSX-R. He said he'd been trying to catch me for about 6 miles.

It was one in the morning and there was nowt on the road. He let me go, told my girlfriend 'slow him down a bit will you love?", the he turned round at the roandabout, flashed his lights, gave us a wave and buggered off

Can't see anything like that happening with the present bunch of fascists

failedengineer

I was getting a lecture for doing 'over 90' in a 60 near Clapham in the Dales a couple of years ago, wondering if I was going to get a ticket, when a bike went past at, I reckon, no more than 70 – 75. The cop told me to be careful in future, got back in his car and tore off after the bike. They openly target bikes in North Yorkshire (tw*ts – I'm a biker as well!)

coffeeking
    Free Member

As someone who drives enthusiastically when and where it's safe you'll be surprised to hear I've never even been stopped (for speeding) in 12 years, despite having a rather obvious and loud car. Could be that I'm careful where I do it, or that I'm just lucky.

LeeW

A mate of mine got pulled on the M54 a couple of years ago, after being let off with a verbal he was then offered a race to the next junction – apparently.

I've been let off for jumping a red light on the Wolverhampton ring road, I was quite a way down the Satfford road when he caught up, I got in the back off the car and after they found I was mucking my kecks, had a decent responsible job, etc, etc I was allowed to go on my way.

binners

coffeeking – you fool!!! You've just cursed yourself!!!

walla24
    Free Member

housemate who was driving me yesterday got pulled (he was and always does drive like an irresponsible idiot)
    hit him with a £60 fine but let him off the points, definately deserved it…dont drive like a fool in towns!!

47 in a 40 was the official reason

Kit
    Free Member

*shakes head* 🙄

binners

On a karma note, after my huge transgression I was then subsequently done for 37 in a 30, 38 in a 30, 39 in a 30 then 50 in a 40. 6 month ban 🙁

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Went past a rozzer dug in so well I didnt see him until I was close enough to read the lettering on the laser gun recently at 95mph on a deserted M1 at 8AM on a Saturday morning

There was no way he hadnt clocked me

Which was nice

coffeeking
    Free Member

binners – I know, foot in mouth 😀 But I now drive a 90hp diesel, too slow to speed!

thomthumb
    Free Member

got pulled the other week. she didn't have recording equipment so i'm not sure she could do me anyway. gave me a proper telling off. I was really kaning it cos late for work! Key is not to admit the real speed in that situation. If you keep quiet not much they can do!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

thomthumb – Agree about not admitting it. When I did get done for 145 the policeman asked how fats I thought I was going.

About 70?
    He snorted and asked again.
    I was keeping with the flow of traffic?
    He replied 'Fair play for trying but that was just too fast to let you off this time, sorry. It wasn't dangerous, just too damn fast. Good luck in court.

The About 70 and Flow of the Traffic are my standard answers and have worked in every other case.

coffeeking
    Free Member

The About 70 and Flow of the Traffic are my standard answers and have worked in every other case.

Over on pistonheads with the plod over there it seems this is the ideal way to cheese them off and practically admit you were not taking any notice of your speed (or the other traffic).

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sound appologetic, look contrite, don't try and pretend that 'About 70' or 'Flow of the Traffic' are real excuses. It gives them a way to verbally bollock you without having to charge you.

If they say how fast sir? and you say 'Cruise control was set to 100mph so I would guess about 97' you are far less likely to be let off I assure you.

crazy-legs

Pretending you don't know what speed you were doing is asking for trouble, they've then got every excuse to do you for driving without due care and attention!

A few years ago a policeman mate of mine was on his way back from a drugs bust one night about 3am, just coming on to the (empty) motorway and a Porsche went screaming past so naturally he put his foot down and pulled it over a few miles later. Asked the driver if he knew what speed he was doing and got "well I was showing 125 but if you want to tell me different I'll believe you". When asked why, the driver said "well…(long pause)…look at my car!!"

My mate told him that it was indeed a very nice car and if he drove it sensibly until they were out of sight then he could keep it… 😉

I got pulled over a few years ago on my bike for jumping 2 sets of red lights in quick succession on Elephant & Castle roundabout, the policeman let me go once I'd apologised profusely and swore that I'd never jump another light again.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

don't try and pretend that 'About 70' or 'Flow of the Traffic' are real excuses.

That let's them kno you are aware you were speeding but being really apologetic and humble is good too.

nonk
    Free Member

i once got stopped for doing 96 on the m6 in a van with no windows in the side. when the plod told me it was sixty limit in that vehical the look on my face must have made him feel sorry for me.
    he asked if i just wanted 3points i said yes he said fine. 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

When I worked in England, at night on an empty motorway when we saw someone caning it, we would just pull up alongside and give them a little smile. As long as they weren't driving like a prat, and had the sense to slow down a bit until we'd buggered off, then that was it.

Nonsense
    Free Member

I've never given anyone ticket for speeding (and I have no intention of doing so), although I'd happily summons or ticket someone driving dangerously or irresponsibly. Personally I let people off if I they accept they have done something wrong/silly/stupid/cheeky and aren't a complete ****t when I speak to them. I've also never done the whole do you know how fast you were going thing, just think it winds people up. But then again I usually only ever pulled people over if I thought there might be something or someone in the car that needs checking out.
    Regards speeeding you can't be given a £60 fine without the points though as it's an endorsable offence?

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

I've recently been let off twice. Once was having a bit of fun against an RS4 on the A31 Hog's Back and once on the A40 near Beako, so different constabularies.

Just passed the RS4, so was in front of him and on my own at Beaconsfield. Neither copper managed to clock my speed (thank God), so just a ticking-off that I took politely.

My friend was with me on the A31 and the copper asked 'has this Maestro been modified then?' 'Just a bit', said I. He had to bite his lip to stop himself laughing! 😀

Car is gone now, so sinning days are over. 8)

andrewh
    Free Member

Overtook a police car at 85mph on M74, about 2am. A few lories around but not much else. Got pulled over, didn't even ask me what I speed I thought I was doing. One kicked the tyres while the other looked at my licence, only carry the pink bit. Pointed out my rear number-plate light wasn't working and let me go again.

legend76
    Free Member

hold your hands up and appologize for driving like a ****,it's worked for me both times.i think if your cheeky they'll f@ck you over and rightly so too.
    first was doing 58 in a 30.
    second was going round a traffic island on the wrong side of the road.
    both times it was in the small hours of the morning.

NZCol

Reasonably recently – Audi RS4, 2.30am , clear dry road, full moon.
    Passed one car in about 45minutes going the other way, luckily for me (not) t'was the police. I was doing 152kmh when i passed him. I saw him turn and just gradullay slowed down, he caught me up and gave me a quick flash of the lights.
    Pulled over thinking "Oh well …", i said yeah i was doing about 130ish when i passed him, any mitigating circumstances he asked. Yes – its 2.30 am , clear road, good conditions, good visibility, its a downhill off camber bend onto a 2km straight so no real reason to brake and I am driving an RS4. He laughed and asked if he could have a sit in it which he did, he then let me off and said next time stick under 130-140 ! V lucky really but i was totally polite and he's only doing a hard job really.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I was done loads of times in my youth (I'm much older, slower and wiser now), the only occasion I ever got let off with a warning was when I was driving my Dads very big new expensive car, make your own conclusions!.

martinxyz
    Free Member

"Its a downhill off camber bend.." safe as houses then. lol.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I dunno… it just seems to work for me being polite, apologetic, middle-class, aware of the rules of the road and honest. Afterall, they know that you know precisely what you were doing…

"Yes motorbike officer, I was racing my mate on the R1 at 100mph down the bends at Boxhill"… (And you know this – cos it's taken you 2 miles to catch us up)… "Yes I know it's a 70"… "Where's my mate, you say?"… "Oh, he appears to have very sensibly ridden off, so we don't get done for racing on a public road"…

7 Day Wonder promptly effected. Close call. Lesson learnt.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

3 points for doing 70 on a dual carriageway in a van in July.

Driving in the flow of traffic, using good lane discipline. Followed for 14 miles by an undercover car who guessed I probably wouldn't drop to 60mph when the A1 dropped to 2 lanes.

The miserable, jobsworth tossers.

Aristotle
    Free Member

What amazes me is that so many people have exceeded the speed limit and survived.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Urban legend one about the bloke who was stopped and when the copper asked him why he accelerated when he saw him in te rear view mirror, driver said 'My wife ran away with a police officer and I thought you were trying to bring her back' 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Anyone been 'let off' while speeding recently?’ is closed to new replies.