Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anybody worked on a cruise ship?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

I've just had an offer of cruise ship work – sounds a bit glib to me

http://www.mermaid-group.co.uk/whats-it-like-movie.htm

– has any of the assembled throng here worked this stuff? What did/do you think?

thehustler
    Free Member

Not personally but cousin worked on the QE2 and thought it was the best job in the world

genesis
    Free Member

Depends on what you'll be doing.

Creg

Friend of mine is an "Entertainment Officer" for P&O Pacific. Hes just been posted on a brand new ship and has been doing the job for the last 3 years.

He loves every minute of it and says the work is hard but really good fun (he essentially spends his entire time planning parties). He's been to some amazing locations all over the Pacific region.

Ive been giving some thought to applying for some cruise ship work when Uni finishes.

backhander
    Free Member

Friend of mine was a ventilation officer for P&O/Cunard. He loved it but they do work hard (7 days for many weeks) and certainly don't get to go ashore as much as you'd like/think.
    He loved it but got sacked for failing a breathaliser one morning!
    For an engineer he seemed to do a lot of "entertaining" 😀

mafiafish
    Free Member

Creg, I've been thinking the same thing, post-uni doing a travelling around and getting paid for it job. It's got to be better than being an air hostess/host.

genesis
    Free Member

If you have a relevant skill merchant vessels can be a better option, mate started as a baker for White Star and got sick of the demanding numpties on cruise ships (Yanks in particular) then went on to be chief purser on some huge freighters and tankers. The commercial vessels took him to see some stuff he never would have on a cruise ship.

One of his best stories was about dodging mortars while carrying several thousand gallons of avgas in Korea!

Kato

A friend of mine was a dancer on cruise ships for years and said it was top laugh. FUll of American's though and one of the ships she was on, MV Sun Vista, sank of the coast of Malaysia. Occupational hazard I guess

Creg

mafiafish – definately. I was going to do one of those CampUSA things but Ill health has stopped that so looking at other options for when I get the green light from the doctor (if I ever do).

Merchant Navy would be good. I applied to Maersk on their deck cadet program but was told the intake for this year was full but they're going to contact me at the end of the year for an interview (I somehow doubt that will happen). Guy who comes into where I work used to be in the Merchant Navy and he comes out with some amazing tales (most of which seem to involve bloody great ships in huge storms 😀 )

my wife worked on one for a year as a photog .

long days some but good fun and tax free !

Reign_Man
    Free Member

No, but I have worked on very rich peoples yachts in the south of France, US and the Carribean (by yachts I mean 100+ metres with helicopters etc). Money is much better, all tax free, went to some amazing places and had a shed load of money at the end of it, but it is long hours and alot is expected.

There is even an acadamy for training crew for superyachts which I believe the engineering course is run by the Royal Navy. Try the following link (not cheap though). A yachtmaster certificate would give you a head start aswell. Or just turn up to one of the crew agencyies in Antibes at the begining of the season and get some deckhand work

http://www.flagshiptraining.co.uk/content/default.asp?PageId=495

Did it for a couple of years and gotta admit it was a good laugh

Flaperon

People I know who do it really enjoy it – it's good that you've had an offer, because the semi-skilled jobs are actually incredibly competitive. On the Independence of the Seas all the sports staff had degrees, waiters and cleaners were all from the Philippines and didn't earn much.

Engineering pays very well, and having had a tour of the engine rooms looked to be a fantastic place to work.

cogglepin

My son is an engineer on cruise ships, does 4 months on two months off, his girlfriend travels with him as well. Good money and gets to see the world as well. Had a tour of the engine room when they came to England, bloody incredible size, they had bikes to get from one end to the other!

mrchrispy

well the obvious question must be….

what tyres for an engine room?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anybody worked on a cruise ship?’ is closed to new replies.