Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anybody ride using a HammerSchmidt?
  • jonnycritchley
    Free Member

Afternoon. Does anybody have any experience of using a HammerSchmidt chainset? I was thinking of treating myself to one and wondered if any users had any useful feedback. Cheers!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

No i haven’t but in true forum fashion that doesn’t mean i can’t jump in on the subject!
    Weight and efficiency are the only reasons I wouldn’t consider one. Also what effects would it have on your rear suspension? Many pivot points etc are carefully chosen based on certain chainring sizes.

bencooper
    Free Member

I had one for ages, trying to sell it – a complete faff to fit, will only work on some frames, very limited choice of chain rings.

I do lots of the Schlumpf drives, though – like the HS but made properly in Switzerland…

Kbrembo
    Free Member

bencooper…drop me an email about your HS your selling…

bencooper
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant I had it for ages while I was trying to sell it – eventually went on eBay…

fishagj
    Free Member

Run one on an Intense SS2, real easy to set up if you follow the instructions. Great round trail centres and if your bike can’t take a front mech. Weight is a little more than required but well worth it!

igrf
    Free Member

Yep, love it, had it on both my Coverts thinking of moving it onto a Double.

It ‘whirs’ a bit in the high speed, but since you only use that in the down bits it doesn’t matter, the benefit of the instant graunchless gear dump if you get caught suddenly is just unparalleled.

scotsman
    Free Member

I have been using em since they came out, easy to fit easy to set up and have had no major problems.
    Bike components de were doing huge discounts on them, the am version, and the XO shifter was also cheap as was the HS BB.

fishagj
    Free Member

CRC were selling the chain set for about £250 but you still need the shifter and bb, I’ve been told that you can substitute another shifter that is less expensive. I’ve got a cheap rockshox pop lock remote to try (£10)

sunnrider
    Free Member

If you don´t mind the extra weight it´s fine.
    It was easier to set up than a front derailleur and rings.
    Practically bomb-proof and easy to maintain.

It will work with a sram x9 front shifter too (maybe X7, havent tried).
    I won´t be going back to chainrings, if I ever change, it will be for a Pinion.

XXX
    Free Member

I’m not sure where the bombproof reputation comes from, I had one for a while…

Drive side bearing is from an rubbish isis BB, they are not well sealed and the small planet gears wear at an alarming rate.

Any shifter will work with them, I used an xt. Drag is not much of an issue but the small chainring makes sus bob more bobby.

It’s a good idea poorly executed. I was happy to go back to a front mech.

ratherbeintobago

It’s a good idea poorly executed.

SRAM seem to do a good line in this (see also the Automatix hub which has apparently got no weather sealing and changing the shift point requires dismantling). Has the Hammerschmidt evolved at all since its introduction?

Andy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anybody ride using a HammerSchmidt?’ is closed to new replies.