Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anybody got the Virgin Tivo box ?
  • shredder
    Free Member

Looking to move from SKY + to Tivo as have phone and b/band with Virgin.

Looks a better system and package for less money.

Any real time users thoughts ?

superfli
    Free Member

I have had it for about 1month now. Very good. Lots of benefits, like recording suggestions, catch up button available when you choose to watch a prog through the epg. Big disk space. Fast enough, although I’m not sure if its as fast as sky. It also remembers a series, so if you series link, then it will record future series that you might forget to link.
    Fast forward and stop at end of advert is a nice touch (it rewinds slightly when you miss the start).
    Only draw back so far is it seems to be missing the “change to channel at start” option when you select a future programme to watch.

shredder
    Free Member

Thanks for that do you have the movie package / or how does the movies on demand feature work ?

superfli
    Free Member

Not got movies. Movies on demand is just that, select a movie, buy it and watch it. Good selection to, although I dont use it much

prettygreenparrot

Yes. It rocks. Can’t believe it has taken so long to get TiVo in the UK. Movie channels? There’s loads of movies on demand. All you do is search for what you want. It tells you if it’s available on demand. You can watch it there & then after you enter your TiVo PIN. Or you can set a constant search and it’ll record the movie when it’s shown on regular channels – you might have to wait a while for a new release in that case though.

The ability to set searches is very neat. It’ll record anything with the keywords. handy to catch up on a particular actor or director.

The suggestions take a little training – if you have diverse tastes in the house it can get eclectic in its suggestions. You use the ‘thumbs up” and ‘thumbs down’ to train it. Suggestions are always the first things to be deleted if it needs more disk space.

mudshark
    Free Member

I have Virgin TV and find that the picture seems to be zoomed in a bit – i.e. the edges of the original picture are not there. So tops of people’s heads are cut off or a title that spans the entire original picture has lost the beginning and end. Anyone else get this?

iain1775
    Free Member

TiVo makes sky+ look like a Betamax video player in comparison
    It’s awesome

Dancake
    Free Member

Im hoping to blag a tivo as my V+ box is playing up AGAIN. Thats three replacements in a year. Nice

ji
    Free Member

I miss my (series 1) TiVO – was such a great bit of kit and years ahead of its time.

Can’t get Virgin cable sadly so the new TiVO is not available.

foureyes
    Free Member

i didnt like it and changed back to the sky+

sky box has a clean interface wheras the tivo was cluttered and full of stuff i didnt need to see. it has really great functions but if you have very young kids theyll get lost in the menus when Sky is easier to handle.

my SD CRT telly couldnt get a good picture out of the tIVO either but has amazing images with the Sky+

i wouldn’t cancel sky until you’re sure.

Haze

Tried to blag one earlier as they’re offering them out with free activation to new and existing customers “saving £49.95”.

They still want £49.95 to install it though, I asked them to send it around and I’ll work it out myself.

They wouldn’t budge!

thepurist

@ji – FWIW you can pick up S1 Tivo’s on ebay for bargain prices and there’s a new free EPG service for them (Virgin tried to kill the S1 boxes but some geeks did a clever thing).

petrieboy

Do these do the iplayer, 4OD etc that the V+hd does? We use that quite a bit

superfli
    Free Member

petrieboy, yes they do and more like Youtube, twitter+ some other stuff

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anybody got the Virgin Tivo box ?’ is closed to new replies.