Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Anybody from the car trade in?
  • cb

About to enter a contract hire for a new metal box and we have a 55 plate Leon to px or dispose of privately.

60k miles, full 12 month MOT, excellent mechanically but a few minor dints and scuffs.

2.0 TFSI

The dealer (for the contract hire) is low balling us I feel but wanted a realistic price for what I should be getting in px or indeed selling myself.

Grateful for ideas.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m not in the trade but if they’re offering you anything higher than £3k I’d bite their arm off.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

My guess is they’re offering nearer £2k…

If it’s really a nice car, I’d suspect £2.5k is a good offer. £3k for private sale?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not in the motor trade, but doesn’t it depend quite a lot on the price of the car you are looking at?

hooli

We buy any car?

ski99

Before I left the retail side last year, our business used the value from webuyanycar, and then added £100 if they though the sale was more than someone just speculating on every trade in.

Very few group retailers use Glass’ Guide any more.

simon_g

+1 for WBAC. Totally hassle free and a fair price for the car I had before my current lease car.

chakaping
    Free Member

They quoted me about 50% of what the car would have (easily) got on eBay.

Just for balance like.

cb

Ok – Tallpaul is ball park. £2.2k is the offer but Parkers quote £2485 for the same car with 100k (re trade in px) on the clock. Got me thinking I should get a bit more. Auto Trader private and trade sales start at £3k for 90k miles and above and up to £5k (silly price I know).

I’ll try WBAC

cb

Uhmmm WBAC states £2520 but that assumes ‘no damage’. There are a few minor scuffs on the car and I guess they will hammer me for those.

spence
    Free Member

Parkers is a guide based on an average and therefore some trade-in’s will be below that some above. The offer from the dealer is dependent on a number of variables, only one being the value of your car, and your car is always worth more to you than anyone else. £2.2k vs. £2.5k isn’t that far out and it takes away the hassle you disposing of it.

footflaps

The margin on a new car (to the dealer) is about 2% on average. They can’t afford to be generous unless the manufacturer is doing a special deal and offering them extra discount (Wife is in the trade and manages 16 dealerships for the manufacturer).

sharkbait
    Free Member

CB, enter the scuffs onto WBAC and it will give you a new valuation. The person at the office also has discretion to increase the valuation to a point when you visit them.
    I found them to be fine.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Try the car buying service. Same kinda thing as WBAC but linked to (I think) The Car People – offered me ~£1500 more than WBAC when we wanted rid of our BMW in a rush and the whole thing was a very smooth process. Dropped the car off, had it inspected which was pretty trivial and by the end of the day the money was in our account.

m0rk
    Free Member

Is it the FR? Or the ‘Sport’ with the 185bhp engine?

Decent cars in the day (and now), and worth a bit more… Stick it on eBay and it’ll be fine (just get a mate to shill bid if you need to)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Go to a couple of garages & pretend your’e interested in something & ask them what they’d give for yours as trade in?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

m0rk, is that a banana in your pocket or are you just pleased to see the subject of Seat come up?
    Are you still running cupra?
    I used to frequent there & went to a few of the herts meets & a silverstone one where I met you 😀

Oh & WBAC plus a few hundred if you shop around, +1K if you sell privately & have patience.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Anybody from the car trade in?’ is closed to new replies.