• This topic has 13 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ajf.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any WordPress experts in?
  • Steelsreal

Just moving my blog from wordpress.com to a self hosted wordpress.org blog and am having a few issues with my photos

Have exported my posts with ,media attached which has worked fine single photos are there but a lot of posts have galleries in which are not exported. When i look at the imported post it just has a [gallery] entry.

Now there must be a way to either download the media library from my old blog or export the gallery and import it into the new.

Cheers

spooky_b329

Just in case you didn’t know, there are wordpress.com and .org have their own support/user forums which should be able to help if you get nothing here 🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

Are the photos actually in your media library and not attached to a post or just not there at all?

Steelsreal

I have had a search about both forums and all posts say the export / import works. Which it does if you have the pics inserted into the posts. However i have galleries in my posts and the export function or the import(?) does not include the photos.

As the photos are not actually in the post, but in a gallery, there does not seem to be a way to do it…

chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack, but can I just ask why you decided to move from WP hosted to self-hosted?

Thinking of setting one up myself and want to get ti right from start.

🙂

Steelsreal

just using it as my website, used to have a blog hosted on wordpress that i fed into my webpage with a few other static pages. WordPress can do this on its own, and moved to a new host that had installers for all sorts of CMS so thought i would stick with WP

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Look at the HTML view in the editor and check the the tag is written as [gallery] and not escaped is any way.

Also click on “Add an Image” and check that there are images in the gallery

Steelsreal

That is just it, my posts have [gallery] in them but the media library is empty and there are no photos in the gallery if i click to add a picture there are none there…

Confused….

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

FTP into your new server and check if the images are in the wp-contents/uploads/ folder. If not you need to have a look at how you are exporting/importing the site.

Google?

AlexSimon

BTW chakaping – I haven’t done many WordPress sites, but after searching around for recommendations on forums, I found these guys: http://www.tsohost.co.uk/wordpress-hosting.php
    The £34 a year option seems to be perfect for what I wanted.

I wanted a UK host with a human at the other end of the phone and they’ve been fantastic so far (6 months). I host a Barratt Homes WordPress website there and am just adding another now: http://barrattlegacy.co.uk/

You need to be a slight techie as you are provided with cpanel to configure email/ftp/etc. But it’s pretty simple and cpanel is so common that there are millions of tutorials/help pages out there.

Anyway – just thought I’d throw that in. My other (non-wordpress) sites are with 1and1 who are fine until you have a problem, then it becomes a chore.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

You need to be a slight techie as you are provided with cpanel to configure email/ftp/etc. But it’s pretty simple and cpanel is so common that there are millions of tutorials/help pages out there.

Agreed. Did the original Aston Hill WordPress site a few years back and am playing with one in a test area for my personal site.

Re: the photo issue, it could be a number of things. However I would go onto a specific WP forum. 🙂

Steelsreal

AlexSimon, like your barrat site, the home page with those little boxes with posts in are very nice mmmmmm

AlexSimon

Steelsreal – Thanks!
    I decided that the best way to learn the ins and outs of WordPress was to create my own theme from scratch, so I used a theme called ‘Starkers’ which basically gives you decent clean minimal HTML but no css and went from there.
    It was quite easy really. Barratt didn’t want comments, etc which is a large chunk of styling neatly avoided.

ajf
    Free Member

can you get the database file from wordpress.com?

If I have ever moved a wordpress site I have got all the data from the database then uploaded that and all the files. Changed a few urls in the database and away you go.

I have never really had much luck with using the import / export function in wordpress for the same reason you say. It brings across content but not media as well.

Also did you have any plugins in wordpress.com that you don’t have in your wordpress.org site? The [gallery] is a thing called a shortcode and is often used by plugins

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any WordPress experts in?’ is closed to new replies.