Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Any walkers in?
  • Merak

I am after a jacket to keep the rain at bay whilst I bag me some Munro's over the summer. I'm not a rich man but I would like e-vent as my fabric of choice can anyone recommend a jacket that might fit the bill?

Cheers

benji_allen
    Free Member

Not sure if they still do them, but I had a Rab Corrie jacket. Used it for mountaineering in the Alps as well as Lakes etc. Held up real well. Lightweight too. Was about £120 I think. Still got it 5 years later. Still ok, albeit a bit tatty now. Articulated arms meant they grew in length as you held your arms up which was handy for climbing.

Merak

Aye, was looking at Rab stuff. I still have a Rab down vest I got about 8 years ago its still toasty and as new today. Dont really want to go much over £100 if possible.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

any gore-tex coats are good. Try find some places with sales on so you can get them cheaper but as long as it's from a propper outdoors shop then you should be fine. I got a lowe-alpine gor-tex coat this christmas and used it in blizzard conditions in the dales and lakes with no problems. Warm, waterproof and totally windproof.

Merak

Aye not dismissing Gore Tex just fancied E-vent as its nice and breathable, got a bike jacket made of it but no hood otherwise I would have used it!

cxi
    Free Member

If you don't mind the colour, Cotswold have the Rab Bergen for £99 on their online Rock Bottom outlet. Only up to L though.

There's also a Rab Momentum with decent money off.

Burls72
    Free Member

Try not to get hung up on the fabric the fit and features of a jacket are more important. If your munro bagging your going to need a good hood!

cinnamon_girl

Goretex jackets made by Tog24 are better value than most of the other manufacturers. Mine has lasted donkey's years and been used all around the U.K. in some pretty awful weather. In fact, I wish it would wear out cos I fancy a change. 😉

They have an outlet store in Bicester shopping village.

Merak

Cheers for the link to the Rab jacket, Im not that fussed about the colour, not so fussed I'd pay an extra £90 for the black one.
    Im flexible regarding brand, & material. I just fancied a bit of advice/feedback from folk that have been using the jackets Im looking at.

highclimber
    Free Member

its much better to spend a little more to get either a gore or eVent jacket. go and try a few on as different makes have different fits. the biggest difference you'll find between a cheap jacket and a more expensive one is the cut. most cheap jackets are cut to use as little fabric as possible and tend to 'lift' a lot more when you raise your arms. make sure the pockets are high enough so that you can use your rucksack waist strap (if you are using one that is) and it not interfere with them.

HTH

Burls72
    Free Member

Event is more breathable than gortex (gortex proshell is nearly as breathable but out of your price range) so you might feel slighlty colder in an event jacket but gortex has a more proven durabilty track record. The waterproof membranes are fragile so you'll find waterproof materials are either 2 layer with a liner (mesh on jackets) or three layer. Most outdoor brands will use goretex or event on their higher end jackets but will have an in house membrane for the cheaper jackets. Your average user won't notice much difference between the fabrics especially in uk conditions. This is because waterproof membranes need it to be colder on the outside than on the inside of the jacket to work best. That way when you sweat it turns to vapour and it goes through the membrane and rain doesn't come in from the outside. If it is warmer outside than inside the jacket it will reverse and push water in to the jacket. They are best suited to alpine condition, thats why you don't see people wearing high end jackets in the tropics (during rainy season!) a pack-a-mack is just as good.

Make sure you have wicking base layers definitely not cotton and unless it's windy and/or cold (anything waterproof is windproof) don't wear the jacket unless it's raining as you'll build up sweat on the inside and get colder quicker as your wet. As I said before the fit and features such as a good hood are more important. Can't speak for in house brands such as tog/millet etc and helly hanson but in general rab are good on sizing for tall and slim (alpine range) or tall and large people (xxl is huge wouldn't want to meet the man who fills that), hagloffs are good for taller people(plus any nordic brand), montane are good for people carrying a few extra pounds, millet (the french one) are good for smaller people (and any other french brand).

the biggest difference you'll find between a cheap jacket and a more expensive one is the cut.

+1

bassspine
    Free Member

gear-zone.co.uk has some goretex paclite craghoppers jackets in at half price at the moment, worth a google…

montylikesbeer

Any waterproof will hold moisture internally no matter what they say.

As for getting amongst the Munro's your normal kit will be ok if you get out in the hills often.

I have just spent three days out in the fisherfield forest and got back tonight, a drop of snow, driving rain and blisteringly hot days all on the trot and all I wore as a shell was an old berghaus jacket I wear for riding because its light.

Sorry to sound cynical but you do not need to buy special kit for Scotland apart from deep winter when it gets a bit extra grim.

This below will do you well and its cheap

north face jacket

or this

e-vent coat

My best advise is select your weather/date and go light, it just makes sense in summer.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Paramo gear is also well regarded in the walking magazines.

anjs
    Free Member

yes but its not cheap and might be to warm for the summer

cbrsyd
    Free Member

Like Burls72 I think breathable jackets are overrated for summer use. Really good in colder weather but there needs to be a temperature gradient for them to work.

If it's as warm and wet outside the jacket as you are inside the jacket then no "breathing" will take place and you'll just remain warm and wet and wonder why you just forked out £150 on a breathable jacket.

Colin Kirkus used to wear a tweed jacket whatever the weather, said it worked fine in winter once the out side got frozen 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Interesting comments about the (non)requirement for good gear in summer…

As has been said, the main differences between cheap and expensive are cut, construction and possibly longevity. Cheaper stuff may be great for carrying just in case but if the weather really closes in (which it can and does in Scotland in summer), I'd want to be using something I know to be waterproof, windproof and will last the trip. Getting wet and cold on a single day out is often a minor inconvenience but it's a royal PIA if you're out multi day backpacking as you can struggle to get dry again.

I've just started using Event after a lifetime of Gore. So far, so very very good though we'll have to see how it holds up with longer term use.

The brands called out above all have their merits: Berghaus, Haglofs, Rab, Mountain Equipment, Montane etc. I personally own and use Gore or Event breathable waterproofs from all these and they all work as expected. I'd choose by weight, cost, features and fit from any of the above.

I'm in the middle of a semi continuous Munro round, scheduled to finish Sept. What are you up to?

cbrsyd
    Free Member

I'm in the middle of a semi continuous Munro round, scheduled to finish Sept. What are you up to?

Started my semi continuous Munro round in 1988, only got 40 left to do 😆

epicyclo

cbrsyd – Member
    …Colin Kirkus used to wear a tweed jacket whatever the weather, said it worked fine in winter once the out side got frozen

It used to amuse me in the Outer Hebrides seeing the "adventure" tourists all geared up with expensive brand names for a few hours on the hills, while the guys who lived there would spend all day out wearing a tweed jacket, woollen jumper, and wellie boots.

CheesybeanZ

how about the MT500 , good size hood and very waterproof .

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/jackets/product/mt500-jacket-09-34068

thegreatape
    Free Member

You could also consider a windproof rather than waterproof jacket, softshell being the marketing speak for such things. Far more breathable than waterproofs so none of the claminess, and although not completely watertight they'll keep the worst off, and dry very quickly if they do get wet. I use a Rab Vapour Rise but there are lots of different ones.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

You could also consider a windproof rather than waterproof jacket, softshell being the marketing speak for such things. Far more breathable than waterproofs so none of the claminess, and although not completely watertight they'll keep the worst off, and dry very quickly if they do get wet. I use a Rab Vapour Rise but there are lots of different ones.

+1
    I've got a Montane Prism rather than a Vapour Rise but same sort of thing, and it's the best bit of kit I own. I find my waterproof stays in my pack most of the time these days.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Just seen your comment about not wanting to spend over 100 pounds. Even more reason to consider a windproof over waterproof. 100 will get you a very nice one.

deft
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure event was just invented to keep Betws y Coed in business

fwiw my Paramo windproof with a recent-ish wash in Nikwax is perfectly waterproof. Getting wet isn't a problem, getting cold due to bad layer selection is

duckman

Lots of good advice above.I have recently bought an event jacket after Paramo for winter and Gore for summer.MUCH better that gore imo.As stated layers are really important.Jacket wise,try craigdon mountain for bargains.

RustySpanner

Have you got a Cotswold Rock-Bottom store near you?

If so, just go in and ask what they have knocking about from last year – I've done it in the past and got about 30% – 50% off.

Merak

Thanks for all the feedback, it's appreciated. Im Scottish living in Scotland so Im familiar with what the weather can be like, I nearly had frostbite on a century ride last month. It took a couple of weeks before I could fully feel the tips of my little fingers, four seasons in one day and all that.
    I understand the differing opinions re; kit but imo a waterproof lightweight shell is a must, be it 'breathable' or otherwise. The romantic notion of dapper tweed blazer or soft shell whilst out in Gods country is all well and good but I doubt Id be very happy after a torrential downpour with a stiff northerly in my boat race.

No, its E-vent for me. I dont have a rock bottom store unfortunately. The Montane a few posts up looks pretty good, as did the Rab in Ray Mears colourway. Cheers again, Im off to browse for more!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am no great fan of "breathables" as I find their ability to breath limited and that their durability / waterproofing is also limited.

If you want a waterproof that is actually waterproof in real downpours then just use non breathable stuff – and only wear it when its actually raining.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Any walkers in?’ is closed to new replies.