Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any VAG engine experts? – curious stalling issue – 1.4 petrol
  • maccruiskeen

Ms Maccruiskeen has Mk1 Leon, 1.4 petrol. Its developed a stalling issue but its really quite specific as to the circumstances when it happen:

It won’t happen if the engine has been started from cold.
    It won’t happen if the engine is started from warm, after a short stop (say a filling station)

When it happens is after a decent run (an hour or so of driving) and then a stop of 1-2 hours. So the engine still has a bit of latent heat in it. When this is the case pretty much the first junction encountered after starting- the engine will die on the approach as you take your foot off the accelerator to brake. It doesn’t chunter or struggle, it just drops straight out. It then starts again fine and will be fine for the rest of the run.

So…. what the bloody hell is going on?

DavidB
    Free Member

I’m not sure if this will help.

I had exactly the same symptoms in my T25, turned out it was a loose vacuum hose from the carb. I have no idea if your engine has these.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Try over at http://www.seatcupra.net

STW of Seats

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    KT1973
    Free Member

Try putting some redex in your fuel tank (most petrol stations have this). Stick a tenners worth of fuel in and a bottle of redex. Drive it for 30 mins, leave it overnight and then do the same again the next day- it will smoke a bit. If that doesn’tn help then take it to a mechanic. When did you last have it serviced?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I had similar symptoms once, and it turned out to be a faulty engine temperature sensor thinking it was cold when it was hot, and then running too rich. Different engine though, so probably irrelevant!

HermanShake
    Free Member

Someone’s got to say it:

VAG 😆

stevemorg2

had a similar issue with my wife’s 1.4S polo a few years back – never managed to track down the problem despite visits to VW and our local garage!
    No such issues with her 09 plate Polo though

maccruiskeen

greatape – I’m wondering if its something sensor-y. Its such a specific circumstance for things to act up. I think the throttle is electronic too. There have been a couple of instances of the revs ranging up and down while idling, although not at the same time as a stally event, but I wonder if its related

BruceWee

I had the same thing on my golf. Turned out it was a faulty temperature sensor.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Temperature sender caused similar probs with wifey’s 1.2 polo. Piece of cake to replace. Half drain coolant, undo sender housing and replace duff sender.

Marko

As you have deduced, you have a hot soak issue here – but where?

I doubt the management system will show any recorded faults, but a complete system scan would be the first step for me.

Next I would check all the electrical connectors that are easy to access. Break and make them, checking for corrosion and bent contact pins as you go.Pay particular attention to any earth connectors.

Check all the under hood vacuum hoses while you are there.
    Hth
    Marko

maccruiskeen

Thanks for all the suggestions – its off to an Auto electrician this morning to have its sensors poked

flatfish
    Free Member

My old polo did that for ages.
    VW could rectify it.
    Local garage couldn’t find it.
    My dads mate sorted it in ten minutes though, sadly he died a couple of years ago and I can’t remember what the problem was. I know this doesn’t help but I seem to remember a lot of polos having the same problem and as the seats run the same engine ,it must be the same problem.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any VAG engine experts? – curious stalling issue – 1.4 petrol’ is closed to new replies.