Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any tips on how to get Sram Powerlinks apart?
  • justablur
    Free Member

Just came close to shredding my fingers and trashing various tools trying to get a Sram Powerlink apart.

Any tips?

psychle
    Free Member
    Big-M
    Free Member

squeeze the plates together at the same time as pushing the links togeter, once you have the knack…

HTH

Driller
    Free Member

I ended up sawing one in half to get it off, before someone told me to squeeze the plates together before you push the ends in, it really is easy when you have the knack.

speaker2animals

I can usually manage it manually. However on occaision I've struggled too. I've managed to get one apart with 2 thin cable ties. Put one around the link to squeeze the plates. Then thread the other around the rollers. As you tighten this one it should pull the link apart.

Best of luck.

PS I'm going to get a pair of the link pliers. £7 from Parker International

woodsman
    Free Member

As Big M says, but if it's been on a while and being stubborn – wiggle at the same time!

CliveA

It's a similar technique to the undoing of bra fastenings.

Unfortunately…

frank4short
    Free Member

Make sure the sliding holes are clear of dirt too. This catches a lot of people out & only takes 30 seconds to rectify.

doug_basqueMTB.com

yeah, i reckon that normally if it doesn't go straight away then it's full of dirt as frank says! Stick it in your mouth and give it a suck and it'll be right. Or if you're worried about that then a good hose with your camelback!

You can take them apart using a chain splitter too, I found that out last week when I was stupid and didn't look before getting to work!

robhughes
    Free Member

old gear cable.thread round the outside,cross it over and pull on both ends of cable.simple.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

The Park Tools SRAM Link Pliers makes it much easier:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7781

scaredypants

bit of coat hanger wire does it for me

poppa
    Free Member

Be aware that if you have a 10speed chain what you have are powerlocks, not powerlinks, which are not designed to be taken apart once fitted.

tinsy
    Free Member

ha ha, I thought it was just me.. as said once you got the hang of it its easy… kinda squeeze together and do a flicking motion like trying to click you fingers..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any tips on how to get Sram Powerlinks apart?’ is closed to new replies.