• This topic has 25 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Nick.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Any reason I shouldn't buy a current model Mondeo?
  • clubber
    Free Member

I'm looking for a new car (family car + commuting) and having done a bit of looking around the current Mondeo looks pretty spot on – good reviews, I fit in (I'm tall!), it's good value, spares are cheap, it drives well, it has plenty of space.

I think I'm looking for a Zetec 2l diesel 09/59 one as that seems to be the best value.

So, any reason why I'm shouldn't get one?

al_f
    Free Member

If you go for an estate they are gargantuan, mine (previous model) would only just fit in the garage and I think the new one is the same length or a few cm more. Other than that no complaints, was good value to buy but depreciated a lot in 5yrs.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Nope not really. A very good car although quite common. But they look so much nicer than any other comparable car on the market IMO.

white101

I've got an 08 1.8 diesel estate, its got 46k on the clock, and the only thing thats gone wrong is a couple of bulbs have popped. Great on long journeys, 50mpg even with the roof bars and racks on on.

Pook

see my focus thread

clubber
    Free Member

I've got a 06 Focus at the mo and that's been pretty reliable – there are always things that can go wrong but the reviews seem to suggest that typically they're pretty reliable.

fubar
    Free Member

I've got the older model and the only reason I wouldn't trade it for the newer model is that I already find the car length a squeeze in the works car park and the new one is longer (probably not by much though ?)

Kato

I was really surprised by the build quality inside, real nice they are. Massive cars though

wombat

Try a Mazda 6. I very nearly got a Mondeo but having driven the Mazda decided to go Japanese…Nowt the matter with the Mondeo though, just a preference thing…

mrmo
    Free Member

i had one as a hire car, nice place to be, but it is big.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

We have a couple at work and they are great. I would if I could.

andrewh
    Free Member

wombat – Member
    Try a Mazda 6. I very nearly got a Mondeo but having driven the Mazda decided to go Japanese…Nowt the matter with the Mondeo though, just a preference thing…

Weren't the 626 and the first Mondeo the same car? Is the 6 the same as a newer Mondeo?
    I think also Galaxy, Volvo S40 and a Lincoln of some sort share the platform. The Jag X-Type was the 01-07 Mondeo.

wombat

andrewh – Member

wombat – Member

Weren't the 626 and the first Mondeo the same car? Is the 6 the same as a newer Mondeo?
    I think also Galaxy, Volvo S40 and a Lincoln of some sort share the platform. The Jag X-Type was the 01-07 Mondeo.

I believe the current shape Mazda 6 shares a floorpan and some elements of the running gear with the current Mondeo. The engines & powertrain are Mazda's own.

I gather that the Mazda 3 is based on the current Focus FWIW

Quite right about the S40, X-Type Jag and Galaxy sharing Mondeoness..

mickasaki
    Free Member

Hi, i work at a ford dealership, and can honestly say that we have less trouble with them, than any other models. I never get interested in cars normally, but i like them! They are a couple of years old now so any issues would have shown up by now, recomended!

tazzymtb

neil's- on-wheels you must be lucky! the electrics are awful in the new mondeos in our fleet we have no end of problems with the current company cars, from iffy sensors to the more serious engine decides to turn off under breaking therefore loosing all power steering and needing to be jump started to get power back whilst trying to negotiate roundabouts/corners.

the inbuilt touch screen control panels on the titanium and titanium x are cr*p as well with numerous faults recorded across the fleet from 57plates to current.

It's shame because they could be such good cars, but it seems to be about 40k miles and they all just fall apart!

personally I'd go mazda 6 or the new subaru legacy

stylish
    Free Member

had one as my company car since they came out in May 07, now got 75k on the clock and has been no trouble at all, new tires and brake pads is about all its ever needed, nice build, drives really well, and the boot is like a cave, well impressed.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Got a 09 Titanium x that has done 26k
    Been the best car I have owned so far. Apart from a couple of trim issues (there is a spot weld mod in the B pillar that is covered by a non recall warranty fix)

I tested a mazda 6 and I went for the Mondeo because I got more kit as Standard.
    The Zetec is a sound choice – I'm still alittle sceptical of the keyless ignition and locking – a few work college have had probles with the fob not being recognised.

One thing – fuel consuption is not as good as m previous car – Got around 48mpg from a cdti vectra – same journeys in the mondeo come in at around 42mpg

edit – also great for biking – 4 6ft plus blokes, 4 bikes on the roof and all our stuff in the boot and there is still loads of room

iainc

I have been driving the model you are thinking of, on a 59 plate since December. It's averaged 41.5mpg and been faultless.

white101

My estate is in terms of size its about 20cm short of 5mtrs. Parking in some of the multi story tiny spaces you get now can be a bit of a squeeze.

flatfish
    Free Member

Found On Rubbish Dumps

steve_b77
    Free Member

They are fantastic cars, I've got a 09 Titanium 2.0 TDCi hatch and it's fair to say it gets hammered – company vehicle 😆 – 3 bikes, people and kit inside no worries.

Not as good as Audis on fuel but much cheaper to run

clubber
    Free Member

Flatfish, thanks. I was wondering who'd be the first numpty to post some such b*******ks.

Fat
    Lard
    Arse
    Tw@
    First
    In
    S**t
    Heap

😉

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Lmao!

Looks like Fords might be outnumbering vans in (y)our street soon…… 😉

Nick

I've a current model 2008 2.0ltr Diesel Estate, bottom of the range, done 31k in it so far.

It's a good car, easily returns 49mpg, but it's huge and has the turning circle of an oil tanker, seems to like blowing the 12v fag lighter fuse, which is a pita when your ipod is flat.

Boot isn't as big as the old Pug 406 estate we also have though, that's like a van and great for bikes.

mickasaki
    Free Member

Nick, the normal reason for the fuse blowing is actually the design of the charger itself, not the lighter socket. Depending on the charger design, if theyh are not inserted perfectly straight they short circuit the socket and blow the fuse. Easy way to avoid this is plug it in with the ignition off!

Nick

good tip mick, thanks

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Any reason I shouldn't buy a current model Mondeo?’ is closed to new replies.