Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any plumbers / shower fitters in tonight?
  • davidrussell
    Free Member

Hey,

Trying to price up a replacement shower for sorting the new build shonkeyness our house builder installed. Looking to replace the shower tray and enclosure and retile the shower area so i'm trying to find out which brands to avoid and which are good. As usual I want the moon on a stick so quality and durability at much cheapness is the answer. Any web retailers / Scottish based showrooms would be great. can't afford to go mad size wise but could maybe stretch to 900×900 tray size.

budget of 1.5k max to sort out the mess inc ripping out the old sh!te and reinstating with proper materials. I have a builder / plumber lined up so more looking for product recommendations.

Cheers!

Free Member

Aqualisa / Grohe for your shower.

Not cheap by any imagination, however, they're flappin excellent and should something happen, you'll be able to get parts and get them resolved (remember its Christmas and things tend to break/leak over the festive period ;))

In your situation, i'd look on the interweb (ebay) for a cheapy shower enclosure but pimp it up with some nice tiles, or if your feeling really flash get an underfloor heating mat (£50?) or two, one for the floor, and the other one to gently warm the tiles in the shower enclosure… makes it much more enjoyable/should your skin come into contact with the tiles (and at 900×900 they probably will!)

jt

Bear
    Free Member

Go for Grohe, great products.

Avoid Aqualisa, I've repaired more of those than any other make.

Other than that go with Mira.

Free Member

Really bear? I'm quite astounded! always thought they were fantastic products!!

jt

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

We're on our second Aqualisa. First one lasted 12 years. Super bit of kit.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Mira showers do showers (obviously?), trays and enclosures.
    Our last mira lasted 25 years…

David what's your email address?

Bear
    Free Member

Mira do last, and spares are available for nearly everything they've ever made. Just they are a bit expensive now.

Had lots of trouble with Aqualisa cartridges, all different models too, repaired one last week, replaced the whole shower two weeks before that as it had split. Ok so some are 5 years and older, but a few don't last that long. They are still ok, but would chose the other two makes over them.

Been using Grohe for about 5 years and yet to have one problem with any of them. Big range so you should be able to find one within your budget.

davidrussell
    Free Member

thanks for the replies folks – appreciated. We currently have a leccy mira – no real plans to change the shower unit unless the price is right, but it is a rather dull white one so doesn't look very contemporary (mira sport 9.0) it works well enough and is less than 2 years old so unless it looks bogging in the new room it will stay. did see a mira with a pimpy silver finish and looked exactly the same so maybe an option to buy spares for it and rebuild the outer casing?

Any recommendations on enclosures or are they pretty uncomplicated? The current one leaks because its not very well made or put together, and the tiles are completely useless(lots of small rectangular bumps, imagine a cadburys bar with rounded edges) Also dont think the builder specced water resistance board behind the tiles, so will probably get it done right

dirt biker – email is nicolai d0t uk at gmail d0t c0m

thanks again folks

jond
    Free Member

>First one lasted 12 years. Super bit of kit.

The cartridges don't, ours went drippy after 3-4 years, ~60 quid (parts)+ labour to replace (helpfully our predecessors installed two of 'em, and they both need doing..)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any plumbers / shower fitters in tonight?’ is closed to new replies.