Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any Plumber/boiler fitters on here?
  • hora
    Free Member

As a punter I was abit alarmed about this. Mid-new boiler fitting whilst removing the cylinder water has leaked through into the kitchen ceiling around the light fitting etc.

The old heating control panel has a mass of wires sticking out of the wall and the old immersion switch for the cylinder has been opened with all three wires hanging out.

I am mindful that this is mid-job in a unoccupied house however is the plumber sufficiently trained to cope/safely seal off these items without bodging it? (i.e. remove and deal with the immersion cabling and other associated wiring etc effectively?).

He also added that leaking happens sometimes and its not a biggie.

In addition after pulling out the old gas fire in the living room I discovered the (lead) gas pipe that fed the fire actually ran that the concrete hearth. Can he pull that out from under the fireplace back to the source and seal off easily enough? Its not a big job if the pipe is accessible? He mentioned by law his not really supposed to cap lead piping.

They are coming back tomorrow to finish. I’m new to all this and don’t want to have my trousers pulled down or have to call in an Electrician unnecessarily.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Who knows if your plumber is able to do this? It is very simple to do however. One connection for each of the electrical devices to isolate them – both at a fused spur point. Or isolate at consumer unit – immersion is probably on its own circuit, boiler probably on a spur on the ground floor ring main

Lead pipe – ignore it and cut / cap near the meter where it should be copper – if it is still connected

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

All gas safe plumbers should have defined scope part p certification or whatever they’re calling it this week.

geoffj

defined scope part p certification or whatever they’re calling it this week.

Could you translate?

hora
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’m just abit shocked possibly worrying too much. Maybe I shouldn’t have appeared mid-job and if it was an occupied house they might have been less blasé?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

The most basic electrical qualification is a domestic installer course.
    It’s basically a 5 day course with exams at the end. There are 2 levels, A and B.
    A is full scope and includes everything domestic, consumer unit changes, full rewires and even 3 phase.
    Level B is defined scope, suitable for plumbers and kitchen fitters etc. Allows for extra sockets, new radial circuits, wiring in a cooker, shower or boiler.

After that there are the various C&G qualifications, leading to full contractor status.

I’m domestic only, did the 5 day full scope course, then did the C&G 2382 and 2392.

TimS
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few professional jobs where the only thing that made the work ‘professional’ is that someone paid to have it done. I’m sure plumbers/sparkies are better trained thesedays

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Better trained and certified maybe. In my experience most plumbers and electricians are bloody animals who leave a trail of destruction behind.

hora
    Free Member

TheFunkeymonkey- is it normal though? As described above. To me (non-professional) it looked like rampant chaos was going on.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

The power to the circuits should be off at the source really. It’s good practice to work that way, not only for the customers safety but the tradesman also. Bare cables should always have some sort of protection over them, even if it’s just a bit of tape. It’s easy to re-energise the circuit by accident and brush against a bare cable.
    As for The leaks, it happens. It’s not normal and he should be being careful with dust sheets down too. But it does happen.
    Sounds like he’s being a it lax because it’s an empty house.

hora
    Free Member

I know which way the thick immersion power cable runs (its currently exposed from its beading down through the kitchen) so when I meet him today to hand over the money and its still there I’ll ask him to chase it back to the source first. No way I want any live wire(s) left anywhere for the future- beit me, a tradesman or future owner. Especially with the size of it.

hora
    Free Member

TheFunkyMonkey- YGM. How much do you charge for coming out/checking and possibly rectifying (for peace of mind).

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

1lb of bacon, 12 eggs and a bag of spuds

Sonor
    Free Member

Better trained and certified maybe. In my experience most plumbers and electricians are bloody animals who leave a trail of destruction behind.

I think you need to included those “competent persons” that the domestic installer schemes are spewing out as well.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

That’ll be me then 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any Plumber/boiler fitters on here?’ is closed to new replies.