Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any one on here done Kilimanjaro?
  • Spamf
    Free Member

Kili day sac? What did you use and what was in it?

Cheers Anton

Dolcered

Yup, 2 years ago. We did the Rongai route. Usual hillwalking stuff in backpack, camelbak, sweeties, waterproofs, hat, gloves, lip balm, sunglasses, buff, balaclava. Good luck, when are you going?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Yip – from behind.

You dont DO mountains, you sneak up on them and hope the hell they allow you to get back down in one piece.

iDave
    Free Member

Brave of a Zulu to stray into Masai territory…

Spamf
    Free Member

We leave mid July, and we will be doing the Rongai route also. I’m really looking forward to it.

How much training did you do prior to going? Or were you already dead fit?

iDave
    Free Member

I’m doing it in June if I can walk at that stage of the trip.

epicyclo

Is the frozen leopard still there?

Dolcered

I was there in July, I wasn’t as fit as I wanted to be. I did some of my training after giving blood, and i seriously think that helped!

Never saw a leopard, did see the remains of a plane wreck on day 4.

Did lots and lots of road biking from about the jan – june where i did a 3 day road cycling trip with work (250miles), and extended walking (26mile moonwalk).

I’m not convinced fitness is the biggest factor to achieving it. Move as slowly as you can. Once you get to the campsites, do all the acclimisation walks (walk high sleep low). Eat through any nausea even though you won’t want to. Best of luck, i thoroughly enjoyed it, although the last night to the summit was exhausting. 50% success rate in my group.

Day 1 - warnings at the start of the Rongai route

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any one on here done Kilimanjaro?’ is closed to new replies.