Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Any FTO owners on here?
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Just curious, I’d like to fire a few questions as you 🙂

torsoinalake
    Free Member

As in Mitsubishi FTO? If so, fire away.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yup! Which gearbox did you have?

loddrik
    Free Member

I thought they all came with a Burberry gearbox as standard…

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

I had a GPX manual for a couple of years. why?

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

was this just an attempt to lure fto drivers out of the woodwork? I fell for it. the shame. I did sell it and buy a transit van though. much more practical (read boring) and I don’t spend as much time lying underneath it as I did the fto. although I only did that cos it was interesting and fun.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I wish it was, unfortunately I’m not the funny 🙂

I’m wondering about the engine and box (possibly the semi-auto) for use in a RWD kit car and was wondering about the engine braking on the tiptronic – i.e. does it have any or does it just freewheel along like old autos when you let off the accel?

If it’s not as pleasant to drive as a manual I’d probably drop the manual box in with it, but if it’s ok I’d consider putting the shift electronics on the steering wheel and driving it in tiptronic only.

200hp, 8000rpm V6 with essentially a paddle shift sounds like fun, but if it’s laggy and doesnt shift when asked and provides no engine braking on a downshift I’d rather go manual.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Isn’t the FTO fwd, would that not be an issue?

Up until very recently semi auto boxes have been a bit rubbish. Even now its only really the very expensive ones that are as good or better than manual.

It won’t be cheap, but the best option for what you want would be the S2000 lump and gear

coffeeking
    Free Member

Isn’t the FTO fwd, would that not be an issue?

Not when I put the engine in the back 🙂

Yes, semi auto boxes have been a bit poo from all accounts, but “word” has it that the mitsu box is actually faster to shift than manual and shifts on command rathe than making its own choice, so fairly nice to drive. What I really dont want is to hit a button and then wait for a second for the shift. I don’t want it to be better than a manual, just “as good” would be nice, if not I’ll just find a manual.

TBH I can find a full manual mivec FTO for <1000 and I cant even find an S2000 lump alone for less than 1200. If I were looking for an expensive option I’d go down the 3SGTE route as I know that engine like the back of my hand and can get 300hp out of it overnight with a few tweaks, even if it is a bit lardy.

chojin
    Free Member

I used to have a manual GR, and test drove an auto GR prior to buying it.

The auto is incredibly sluggish compared to the manual… not to mention horrific on fuel!

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

from what I heard it’s a pretty good tiptronic box considering its from the mid nineties. The manual is VERY good though. mine lasted 190,000 miles of hard driving (that 24valve engine loves to rev).
    What about the 3 litre from the GTO? would that not fit? that whould really fly in a kit. especially the double blower.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

GPX with slushbox. It’s not bad as far as ’90s autos go, it does engine brake, it will rev and bounce off the limiter and you do have the option of a semi-automatic, although I did find letting it do it’s own thing was better for most situations. Shifts can be very quick, but were variable to say the least (decent oil might improve it?). Oh, and it’s also a 4 speed, gears felt very long. I think the newer boxes are five.

The gearbox is also reportedly made out of chocolate, there was a receipt in the file for a recon at £1000 (about 10 years ago).

It’s a unique, but not very special drivetrain package.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hmmm might have to find a manual instead then and robotise it myself, it’s a lot more work than I wanted to put into it but the engine seems pretty nice if a little rattly. 200hp from a NA 2 litre is pretty good form and the sound is lovely. Cheers for the tips guys, no slushbox for me.

GTO power plants are not cheap I dont think, especially with twin blowers, and IIRC were RWD meaning I’d have to front mount the engine and I was hoping to go middy RWD.

<edit>
    It’s not RWD, but it is a 3 litre and weighs in at 155kg without box. If I were going to take that sort of route it’d be an audi 4.2 v8 with longitudinal box :), but it’d be too tail happy.

TatWink
    Free Member

Autos do not work on a kit, let me re phrase that, any sort of auto box bar full racing sequentials do not suit a light weight rear wheel drive car.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Yes. The auto box weighs a ton.

chojin
    Free Member

AFAIK, the GTO is AWD not RWD?

I may be talking gash however :]

coffeeking
    Free Member

Autos do not work on a kit, let me re phrase that, any sort of auto box bar full racing sequentials do not suit a light weight rear wheel drive car.

On what grounds?

(dribble:)

damitamit
    Free Member

I’ve got a GPX Manual. And yes, I can get my Giant Anthem in the back seats!

I think the Auto’s came in both 4 and 5 speed versions (5 was later).

Best bet is to ask on http://www.ftooc.org or the FTO Australia site.

damitamit
    Free Member

And as you said, there seems to be some very good condition ones going for very cheap at the moment!

TatWink
    Free Member

On what grounds?

That’s a Woodsport MR2 MK1 Audi 4.2V8 from an RS6 conversion, not a lightweght kit car. MR2 Mk1 weighs 960 kg while average kit weighs 550 kg with engine.

The Mk1 is a beautiful handling car (Lotus were involved with the testsing) which is mostly due to it’s lightweight MR configuration, but as I have said the Mk1 is not a leightweight RWD kit car.

coffeeking
    Free Member

That’s a Woodsport MR2 MK1 Audi 4.2V8 from an RS6 conversion, not a lightweght kit car. MR2 Mk1 weighs 960 kg while average kit weighs 550 kg with engine.

The Mk1 is a beautiful handling car (Lotus were involved with the testsing) which is mostly due to it’s lightweight MR configuration, but as I have said the Mk1 is not a leightweight RWD kit car.

I never said it was, and I know what it is 🙂 The photo was related to my earlier post (pointing out that if I wanted to put a heavy engine in I’d do it properly). I still don’t follow why you think an auto wouldn’t work in a lightweight car.

TatWink
    Free Member

The 3SGTE conversion is the best for the Mk1.

The simple fact is an auto weighs more than a conventional gearbox hence the fact is doesn’t suit a lightweight car. Only the racing straight cut sequentials which aren’t truly automatic work, but that is a whole new ball game.

A manual gearbox with correctly spaced ratios is the best for road use in a light car.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I thought this thread was going to be about getting a haircut 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

The 3SGTE conversion is the best for the Mk1.

I’m not converting the Mk1, but never mind 🙂 The 3S was my original plan but they’re not cheap unless I scrap my GT4.

Auto boxes are not that much heavier than manual? And we’re only talking 10-20kg anyway, so not exactly a major issue when you’re talking a dressed engine weighing in at 150+.

I’ve been thinking my way through all my options and generally getting a light 200hp engine is fairly difficult without spending a fortune. V8 compromises handling just too much (250kg engine and box), 3S is borderline (176kg engine + 50+ for the box). Bike engine would be nice but just not enough power to make up the power to weight ratio to something a bit silly. Aiming for a min of 500/ton fairly cheaply.

Torminalis – no idea what you’re on about, I’m off to google.

TatWink
    Free Member

ST170 engine with type 9 gearbox is worth a look. Throttle bodies will see 190bhp.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Any FTO owners on here?’ is closed to new replies.