Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any computer/software experts on here?
  • chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Mate has just got a new Android tablet, needs to download some antivirus software for it, have got AVG on laptop but struggling to get the tablet version downloaded.

Anyone got any more suggestions or links to a decent free AV?

Cheers.

Cougar

I wouldn’t bother, personally. Stay away from Brittney Spears Nude Screensavers and you’ll be fine.

An iPhone owner will be along shortly to be melodramatic.

mav12
    Free Member

I have avg running no problems galaxy tab

scaredypants

I’ve got (has a quick look) Lookout on mine

Not really because I’m paranoid, mostly it because has a “find my phone” thing and just happens to claim antivirus etc too

mogrim

I wouldn’t bother, personally. Stay away from Brittney Spears Nude Screensavers and you’ll be fine.

This. Why do you think you need antivirus software?

prezet
    Free Member

This. Why do you think you need antivirus software?

Because Android is a much bigger, and easier target for malware. There are also far more instances of it appearing.

scaredypants

besides, the britney ssaver is AWESOME – and if you click on the pop-up box you get entered into a free draw for a blowjob too

every day !

samuri
    Free Member

Best to steer clear of scaremongerers when you go around talking about Android devices.

1. The vast, and I mean virtually all, of Android targetted malware, comes in the form of malicious Apps that the user voluntarily installs themselves.

2. Android anti-virus tools *all* concentrate on addressing this issue and only really scan apps as they are installed. However, the general consensus is that all of them are bobbins and not one of them will detect all of the most common forms of attack vector. In fact, a number of these tools are actually malware themselves.

So what can Android users do? It’s more about not installing a collection of unknown, untrusted apps than it is about browsing activity.

Stick to apps made by reputable companies that have many tens of thousands of downloaders. Use application review sites to make your choices and don’t download apps from strange markets.

damion
    Free Member

samuri +100000000000

Cougar

The biggest advocate of AV software for mobiles / tablets are those selling AV software. There are many Android malware samples “in the lab,” but the number of actual threats actually out there in the wild is actually as close to “none” as makes any actual difference.

I know a lot of people with phones and tablets. That’s pretty much everyone I know or have ever met. A good percentage of them are, with all due respect, halfwits; and yet, I know not of anyone ever getting a mobile virus ever.

If you want to slow down your device without adding any noticeable functionality whatsoever, you’d be better served by underclocking the CPU and saving some battery life.

scaredypants

I’ve got a “custom rom” on my phone too so christ knows WTF is on there anyway, though I’m inclined to trust people who’re that wrapped up in their subject that they’ll write an os for their phone

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any computer/software experts on here?’ is closed to new replies.