Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any builders on here?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I’m trying to figure out a rough price for widening a doorway to a double door. Not found any builders willing to even give a rough figure without visiting and having a look. I would have thought putting a new lintel in and widening a door would be pretty standard? Anyone able to help? I would have guessed about £2500?

neallyman
    Free Member

Lots of variables (type of wall – single or cavity, spec of door, size and type of lintel etc etc) but as a rough guide certainly no more than £1k.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Oh, cool. I believe it’s single skin brickwork. The door will be a simple external, nowt fancy.

Cheers

sharki
    Free Member

I’d do it for £2500, can have me a lovely new camera then. 😉

It looks like either a single skin or Brick thick construction. Quite basic to widen, though i’m guessing quoting without looking at the job may raise questions of the possible difficulties to be encountered, access, stability of the wall above the doorway, etc.

Having said that, it’s generally a very easy task, one that should only take a day or two for widening alone.

Where are you in the UK, i’m not to busy and would like a new camera, not £2500 worth.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is the price to include a door? If so, what construction?

Mowgli
    Free Member

Sharki – Winchester area. If you’re interested drop me an email. I’ll be asking a few others for quotes when the time comes though!

We will need a door. Some kind of wooden panel door, I don’t know. Bit like what is in there at the moment, dead bolts top and bottom on one of them, normal lock and dead bolts on the other.

Rockape63
    Free Member

New Lintel, diamond cutter to cut thru bricks, new soft wood frame, door from Howdens, painting, ironmongery etc. Handyman/builder should charge £600-700 tops.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What’s kept in the cage? 😯

Rockape63
    Free Member

I think I can just make out a Gimp! 😕

geoffj

Two words to take the wind out of your sales
    Building & Warrant
    😈

Mowgli
    Free Member

The cage? I’ll give you a clue. It weighs 7 tonnes, goes round and round and shits out 1500 litres per second…

duckman

It’s Ton!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any builders on here?’ is closed to new replies.