Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Any airbrushers?
  • cheez0
    Free Member

Yo,

In the hope of getting a reply or two, I’m considering investing in an airbrush/compressor combo and having a dabble at airbrushing airfix kits etc.

Does anyone have any tips on what to avoid, whats good, any airbrushing tips etc?

I’ve seen a couple of youtubes and theres some really great paint jobs on models out there.. something i’d like to have a go at to improve on my less-than-realistic-hand-job efforts.

Cheers!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Look on Fleabay for some cheap 2nd hand gear, if you get the hang of it get some decent gear. (you may strike lucky & get a bargain in the 1st place.
    For model aircraft I use a double action DeVilbiss Sprite Major which is ancient, with a fine needle as it’s good for doing de-markation lines on camo. for large areas a single action job would be good. However, the most important factors are getting the paint consistency right & having no moisture in the system. Also keep the innards of the brush spotless, give it a proper good clean out after every use.
    I’m rubbish at it BTW!

spursn17
    Free Member

I’ve just bought one of these compressors..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMA-186-Airbrush-Compressor-/360404017495?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item53e9c0e157%5D

I only paid fifty quid for it though. I’d get one with an air tank as it stops the paint ‘pulsing’ out of the gun.

These airbrushes are good starter ones, they are old model Iwata’s. I’d buy new stuff if you’re just starting as it’s a nightmare trying to use equipment that’s not up to scratch.
    I’m also rubbish at airbrushing as well.

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/iwata-airbrushes.html#cat=139/

I’ve used ScaleModelShop a few times and the prices are ok, and they deliver quickly (I’ve got no connection to them, just a happy customer).

beaker

Get over to britmodeller, it’s a great forum and there are very knowledgeable posters on there. Itwata are very good by all accounts.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If you spent £15-20 on this you probably wouldn’t be wasting your money either….

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gravity-fed-Devilbiss-professional-airbrush-its-case-/110783001298?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item19cb2e72d2

Think my mate has an Iwata but theyr’e good so not cheap, which is what you want if get into it.

ThePinkster

As said above, get a compressor with an air tank, it’ll give a far smoother air flow.

I used to use a Sprite Major but for the last 20 odd years I’ve used an Aztek. The major advantages of the Aztek over other brushes I’ve used are being able to swap the nozzles to get differing flows & effects and the range of different can sizes to hold your paint, ink or whatever you want to use in it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 different sized nozzles & 2 needles for my DeVilbiss, Pinkster, also Its (as you’ll know) a suction system so I can use different sized jars/pots.
    My compressor’s crap though, it’s a fridge motor!

ThePinkster

Oh, I’ve nowt against the Devilbiss, it’s a very capable brush (dreamt of getting one for years before I got mine) I just prefer the Aztek.

spursn17
    Free Member

cheez0, what are you going to make?

BenjiM

I’ve been using a cheap compressor and airbrushes from ebay with no tank and never really ahd any problems airbrushing. I like to think some of my stuff comes out ok, If anything it’s my masking that lets it down. The key to airbrushing and hand painting is in the thinning. If you’re applying paint to thick by hand brush it’ll look terrible. A few thin coats is better. Likewise for airbrushing. If you’re mix isn’t right e.g. Tamiya paints with not enough thinner then it’ll dry before it hits the model. Also wash parts in warm soapy water first (just wash the whole sprue) this gets rid of the mould release agent. Use a good primer as well such as Tamiya superfine. If you end up with a rough surface for a paint finish when it comes to putting decals on they’ll silver and look unrealistic. A small list for painting a model.

Clean Parts
    Primer
    Paint
    Gloss Coat
    Decals
    Gloss Coat
    Weathering
    Matt Coat/Gloss coat
    More weathering

Loads of information out there. Have a look at Flory Models tutorials too.

I’ve just finished a sabre and a mig , next up is Airfixs’ new Harrier GR9.

This was free hand airbrushed~

This was masked

http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g334/benjim1979/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ36More Pics here

spursn17
    Free Member

Sweet Mig BenjiM.

This was done freehand apart from the upper wings

I think I freehanded this one as well

cheez0, don’t think about it too much, just buy a gun and practise spraying. Remember the thinner the paint, the tighter the lines.
    ‘Fine Scale Modeler’ magazine forums are worth a look as well.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

They look ok Benji, do you do any competitions? Mate at work has had some placings in IPMS events with his WW2 bombers. He’s just done a Tamiya Lanc with running engines & the sound of 4 Merlins playing through some hidden speakers!

Liking that Mozzie!

cheez0
    Free Member

ooh, lovely pics and tips all, iv spotted some guns like this on fleabay..

linky

any comments?

I’m in the process of finishing off a hurricane, but its hand painted coz the cheapy airfix airbrush kit is a bit poo*

*or it could be my lack of skillZ 🙂

spursn17
    Free Member

I’ve never used one of those, just buy it and try it. If it breaks you’ll have only lost 27 quid, if it’s ok it’ll be a bargain.

I prime all of my models with Halfords acrylic primer aerosols, they spray nice and smooth, and I use white or grey depending on the final colour of the model. You get a lot of paint for £6!

BenjiM

Is that the Tamiya 262? I’ve been thinking of getting one. Does it go together well? I don’t do competiotions since I’m nowhere near of the level that most of the entrys are. I just enjoy building and putting them on the shelf 🙂

spursn17
    Free Member

Yes BenjiM, they’re both Tamiya 1/48th scale and were really nice to make. I don’t do competitions either as I’m too self critical.

I’m halfway through a 1/48 Trumpeter F9F Panther (early 50’s US navy jet) at the moment, that’s a nice kit as well.

I need to find some space to keep mine as they normally just get broken and thrown away, its the build I get pleasure from.

beaker

Some good builds there BenjiM…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Wish I had more time & space, I’ve got about 70 kits in the loft to start including some Hasegawa 1/48th Phantoms, a Tamiya F15 & A10. God knows what else!

spursn17
    Free Member

Wish I had more time & space, I’ve got about 70 kits in the loft to start

Same as me, and I only complete about 3 or 4 a year!!!!
    I’ve got a 1/72 U-Boat on my workbench half painted, it took me a month to cut out all 400+ flood holes.

It’s been there 2 years now 😳

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thats nothing! I’ve had a PC3 Orion on the go for about 11 years, It’s primed & the props are done but thats it. 😳

spursn17
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1st gulf war BAC Jaguar (The Fat Slags) I started building in 1993 stored in a shoe box, I keep meaning to finish it!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You win!!

cheez0
    Free Member

woo benji, i love the look of the warthog..

i also got some 1/32 soldiers that im painting, like me n my m8 used to play with when we were little. (6)

they weren’t painted then, but all the characters are the same.
    (airfix must have paid for the moulds by now!)

anyone else got those?

spursn17
    Free Member

BenjiM, really nice cockpits on your planes. Do you use the Eduard sets?

cheez0, I’ve done some figure painting in the past, not the Airfix ones though. I’ve done Tamiya/Italeri 1/35 and some Verlinden resin figures.
    I’ve had good results using oil paints on the faces, you don’t need expensive paint, I used one of those cheap sets you get on market stalls.
    Let us know how you’re getting on with your models (pics?).

iwatajim
    Free Member

To add my voice to the great advice so far, especially from BenjiM! I use an iwata airbrush and would highly recommend it(as you can tell from my username!).

One of the best pieces of advice I can give is to practice any techniques you want to try on an old kit or any interestingly shaped object before commotting to your lovingly built kit. I do this with each process and end up with old tanks painted like aircraft. Even had a porsche in a fetching three tone camo!

Most importantly, just enjoy yourself and have a look at the sites mentioned so far for some great and friendly advice. Also try armorama and aeroscale on the kitmaker network.

Some examples of my work using the airbrush;

spursn17
    Free Member

cheez0

how are you getting on with your models?

………………………………………………

Iwatajim

That’s a really nice 109, did you pre-shade it?
    I’ve not had much success doing that as I just seem to obliterate the shading.

cheez0
    Free Member

some really lovely kit you guys have there..

as for me, well i’m still practicing, just bought a bit of filler to finish off the joins, although i do ‘match-in’ the parts so they fit together a bit better.

once i get something worth photographing i’ll show it.

most of these models are larger scale, i guess you can get better (less messy) looking results with these?

spursn17
    Free Member

I make mostly 1/48 scale planes, although I do a few in 1/72. I don’t bother with anything bigger such as 1/32 as I don’t feel that I can do them justice, the smaller they are the more liberties you can get away with.
    I am tempted by the Wingnut Wings WW1 range though as they get good reviews, they should do though as they cost about 60-70 quid!!!

Don’t worry about what yours look like cheez0, your (my) next one will always be better.

greeble
    Free Member

going to say I’d get a cheap and cheerful chinese airbrush if you’re just starting off. just so you get a good idea how the thing works. and you will enviably damage break something these bits are super cheap to replace.

I taught myself how to airbrush from youtube videos and online forums using this brush
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-2mm-DUAL-ACTION-AIRBRUSH-NAIL-ART-CRAFT-PAINT-KIT-L81-/260785278035?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item3cb8038c53

Its great and gives you the basic understanding on how to get the technique. I’ve now got a badger Chrome 100.

BigJohn

My daughter (graphic artist & illustrator) has used a foot pump (the sort you blow up airbeds with) plus a fine nozzle, and a clip which holds the end of a felt-tip pen in its path.

The results are absolutely amazingly good.

greeble
    Free Member

My daughter (graphic artist & illustrator) has used a foot pump (the sort you blow up airbeds with) plus a fine nozzle, and a clip which holds the end of a felt-tip pen in its path.

The results are absolutely amazingly good.

Welcome to 2012

cheez0
    Free Member

Holy Thread resurection Batman!

It’s been a while coming and it’s not my first model, but since my OP I’ve discovered Warhammer!
    Warhammer is great for ‘anything goes’ kind of creativity re paint and adding your own bits. I didn’t airbrush this one but I’ll post up some of my other attempts soon.
    He was great fun to make and I think he looks cool!

Here’s Mr Deff Dread..

Any more Warhammerers here? (I dont play the game tbh, I leave that to overweight, unwashed teenagers)

redthunder
    Free Member

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but as there are a few air brushers here 🙂 it might be a bit of a bargain.

UNUSED No Compressor just brushes and stuff. Dont mean a lot to me 🙁

For Sale: Fengda Air Brush Kit BD-812 [Brand New]

Bought in error 🙁 I thought it was a intro air brush kit.

Airbrush:
    2XBD-800
    2XBD-134
    2XBD-130

Glass Jar:

2XBD-02
    2XBD-07

Metal Cup:
    2XBD-11

PIX HEre:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/58162507@N07/sets/72157629939125405/

IMG_2422 by SGMTB, on Flickr

IMG_2423 by SGMTB, on Flickr

spursn17
    Free Member

Post resurrected again!!!

Just finished (nearly, weapons still to be added) my latest project, a 1/48 scale F9F Panther.

iwatajim
    Free Member

Hey spursn17, nice model. Sorry never replied to your question 4 months ago! Liking the warhammer thing too.

Yeah, I pre-shaded the 109. The secret to keeping the shading showing through is to thin the top coat well and build up the finish gradually. Here’s a link to original build, painting pics on page 2;

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=146961#1228132

And another example of pre-shading half way through top coat;

spursn17
    Free Member

iwatajim I’m going to have to try pre-shading, that 109 is a beauty (I’ve got that kit in my stash and it can stay there until I up my game). I’ve not been brave enough to try it before but I’ll give it a go after I finish the Albatros I’ve just started.

How do you get your photos so clear? Mine are always fuzzy.

iwatajim
    Free Member

Cheers spursn17. Give the preshading a try. Remember to thin the paint about 50:50 paint to thinner for the top-coat and build up gradually.

As for the pictures, lighting is important. I use a couple of flourescant daylight lamps on either side of the model. Can’t remember the model of camera I use, my sister has it just now. I do know it’s an olympus with a large lens and 10 times optical zoom.

Hope this helps.

spursn17
    Free Member

Thread rises from the dead once more.

I gave up on the Albatross and bought a WingNutWings Pfalz DXII, working on it slowly so I don’t mess it up!

The story so far….

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Any airbrushers?’ is closed to new replies.