Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Any aerodynamicists out there?
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

STW were wrong due to incorrect power assumptions, we worked on the old figure of ~900hp, current engines are apparently only good for ~750hp. 😆 Gutted, mis-information leading the way – that'll be a first in STW 🙂

I'd be fascinated to see their calcs actually.

Good on McLaren for answering.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I have managed to get tickets to their event at Brooklands on 8th Nov as well 🙂 we are very pro McLaren in our house now

ahwiles
    Free Member

they're still cowards.

(and i don't buy their answer that they don't have the down-force to produce enough grip against the wall

the sine of 85 degrees is 0.996, which means they only need to find 0.4% more grip)

(disclaimer; all my calculations are done with a scrap of paper, my phone, and about 30seconds scribbling)

llamafarmer
    Free Member

willard – Member

Simple solution… Bottles of air. or a very big scoop to cram a lot of that thin air into the engine. Of course, that could add a bit to weight and drag, so you might need a bigger engine.

A bigger engine would need more air….

A turbo/supercharger is what you want 😉

But that'd still only work to a certain altitude.

CountZero

It's threads like this that are what I love about STW. Well done chaps. 8)

coffeeking
    Free Member

85 degrees is pretty damned close to 90, but remember relationships between downdforce, power and grip are not linear, they're likely to be squares off the top of my head. Obviously a lot more power is eaten up in generating downforce than seems intuitive.

A bigger engine would need more air….

A turbo/supercharger is what you want

A small engine with a turbo needs more air too. In fact a 1 litre engine boosted to 1 bar needs approximately the same air as a 2 litre engine (though it is a lot lighter).

marsdenman
    Free Member

Top thread – and Top Marks to McLaren for coming back to you – bet they had a fun few minutes over morning coffee doing the workings on that. 😀

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Yeh, I was pretty pleased that they came back & that we had come up with something they hadnt been asked before… & burning up their computer time to check it 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Any aerodynamicists out there?’ is closed to new replies.