• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by IanB.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any Twitchers on here?
  • deep_river
    Free Member

Just wondering as I like a spot of birding

I know I know!

deep_river
    Free Member

Bugger, how do I alter spelling mistakes on the title?

RealMan
    Free Member

Three_Fish
    Free Member

He hasn’t been around since that freak, yoghurt making accident. Have you tried Facebook?

deep_river
    Free Member

haha, was that the accident involving his pump action yoghurt rifle?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

No

deep_river
    Free Member

Ok Ok taxi for one please

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Make sure you get a proper registered taxi cab though, not a dodgy unlicensed one.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I know my shags over my cormorants!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Using my binoculars the other day, I got to see some Great Tits.

sharki
    Free Member

I’m trying to avoid becoming one, however during my continued desperate attempt to see and photograph as many types and species of life we have in this country, recent trips out with the camera have seen me obsess over how many different bird species i can find.

It’s getting so bad, i’ve posted more on a wildlife forum over the past week, than i have on here or facebook. 😳

portlyone

My high school thesis was on leaf cutter ants of the Amazon. Luckily my school had an “outpost” in the Peruvian Amazon I could visit. I spent a good few hours studying them and taking samples.

flyingfox
    Free Member

I hated them when I was a kid – they got in everywhere so I spent many joyous hours trying to kill them with a magnifying glass. Wasn’t very successful.

I’ve always liked birds though, my Dad would not have had it any other way, although he was worried for a time…!

jonnyrobertson

I/m a keen birder but definitely no twitcher, and thete is a difference! 🙂 I love me birds and i will travel to see them (Snettisham, Bempton cliffs two fine examples), but i go to see BIRDS because they amaze me and i like to do the whole hippy ‘connecting with nature’ nonsense, i won’t drop everything and travel to see A bird just so i can ‘tick’ it off me list. Not a lot wrong with that per se, if you have the means to do it and it’s your thang then fair do’s but to be honest my experiences of ‘real’ twitchers is nothing short of depressing and there is a proportion of twitchers who think nothing of trespass, encroaching on peoples property, and the flushing of exhausted birds thus in all probability hastening their demise just so they can ‘tick’ whatever bird it is they have come to twitch. Yeah, of course they’re not all like that bit the twitchers i’ve encountered have been a pretty rum bunch on the whole, with a level of disdain reserved for me similar to that i get off ‘proper’ roadies when they see me out on me road bike wearing me usual mountain biking garb. Maybe it’s something as basic as appearance. Maybe it’s cos i’m 20-30 years younger than the average twitcher, maybe i don’t look ‘proper’. I know my birds so it’s not like i’m some clueless chump who can’t tell boobies from tit’s. Birders on the other hand, are generally far more approachable and good, friendly sources of local birding knowledge.

Anyway, was digressing there. There’s nowt wrong with enjoying birds, anyone can be a bird watcher and since i’ve discovered it life has become richer for it. Rides are more interesting, my work day is more interesting, where i live is a locally important site for birds. It’s also interesting how it opens your eyes to other stuff as well, other wildlife, plants, trees, always had an appreciation of it, now i’m hooked on it all. For me, the ethos is the same as i use for biking, just get out and enjoy it. Doesn’t matter where you are, where you go, what you’ve got or how good you are, as long as you’re having fun. 😀 That’s what a lot of true ‘twitchers’ (and indeed bikers?) seem to have forgotten.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s nowt wrong with enjoying birds, anyone can be a bird watcher and since i’ve discovered it life has become richer for it.

Worth a read! LBJs FTW!

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Used to be a bit of a Birder in my youth… and I look forward to taking it up again when I’m too old to enjoy me biking 😉

chorlton
    Free Member

Love these

cinnamon_girl

Can someone explain why Twitchers are so miserable? I said ‘good morning’ the other sunny day and was completely blanked. It wasn’t the first time either.

They all look so grumpy!

mav12
    Free Member

Can someone explain why Twitchers are so miserable? I said ‘goo :Pd morning’ the other sunny day and was completely blanked. It wasn’t the first time either.

They all look so grumpy!

was he on a road bike 😛

snowpaul
    Free Member

i am a birder – esp my raptors – twitchers are odd….

paul

IanB
    Free Member

I’d put myself down as a birder too.

Not in the habit of driving off anywhere at the drop of hat to see stuff and just rely on keeping eyes open when out and about. Often come across species I’m not expecting. Found a bunch of Crossbills feeding on spruce trees recently which was nice to watch. Couple of years ago I was absolutely captivated by a sighting of a Great Grey Shrike.

My degree honours project was the study of nightjars’ use of felled forest sites as an alternative to heathland habitat.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any Twitchers on here?’ is closed to new replies.