Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • another snow groan
  • rOcKeTdOg

had about another 3" overnight, just attempted to get to work, got stuck twice and 2nd time left car in a drift, luckily only 5 mins walk from home, time for coffee and think about recovery

it was nice at first, and if it wasn't so potentially expensive the "turn the wheel, no effect, go straight on at islands and junctions driving conditions" would be fun but fed up now

pic i took this morning

most of the 365 pic a day photos have been snowy so far!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocketdog/sets/72157622996166943/

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Just rode in from Otley to Leeds. Never experienced black ice like it. It'll be bus home tonight for me!

MrNutt
    Free Member

just drove around Swinedon and behold SNOWPOCALYPSE! had to leave the Ovlov about 1/2 a mile from home and walk the rest as the road I live on is closed due to a cracked gas main?!?!!, good news is that my cars parked at the top of the hill so it shouldn't be too much of a bind if I want to slide around some more 😀

rOcKeTdOg

light gas for instant thaw!

ebygomm
    Free Member

Would be happy with snow, we've had freezing rain overnight. Black ice everywhere and roads are extra treacherous. We've made one attempt and have turned round and are now at home waiting for it to melt a bit.

rOcKeTdOg

still it's not Haiti, poor sods 🙁

Drac

You think that's bad out snow has almost gone.

rOcKeTdOg

it's on it's way up to you!

Houns

Roads bad then round there RD? Gotta leave for work in a bit

rOcKeTdOg

awful Houns, accident on M5 hasn't helped, A38 is just 2 ruts ontop of ice, traffic up to Jct4 stationary all directions and still snowing in Rubery

LMT
    Free Member

Another inch of snow last night, and its still coming down, forecast is all day, not impressed with this anymore!

Houns

@rse! Cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

it was nice at first, and if it wasn't so potentially expensive the "turn the wheel, no effect, go straight on at islands and junctions driving conditions" would be fun but fed up now

If that's what's happening you're going too fast. Your fault. Simple.

uplink
    Free Member

The snow doesn't appear to be falling anywhere that matters 🙂

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

ours is slowly thawing now but we have had it since Dec 17th

uplink
    Free Member

go straight on at islands and junctions

Take your foot off the brake & the car will go which way the wheels are pointing

clubber
    Free Member

Pretty slippy on my ride in this morning – eg regularly fishtailing while riding in a straight line… Better on the bike than in a car I reckon though.

Drac

it's on it's way up to you!

Sweet!

MrNutt
    Free Member

almost took out a taxi this morning, I was going around a roundabout and he decided he'd pull onto the roundabout and head for the same exit that I was indicating to take, what followed was a nonchalant driver with a 2 ton £600.00 Volvo, right of way and not a care in the world avoiding the brakes and continuing on his chosen (and indicated) course and a panicking black cabby slamming it all on and sliding to an idiotic stop up on the pavement. Seriously you'd think he'd have been a tad more clued up given he drives for a living!

nicko74

Ah, but on the plus side, the BBC can wheel out their 'FROZEN Britain' brand again. At least it's good news for the BBC, eh, because they were running short of things to do with it. Poor souls. 🙄

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Pretty slippy on my ride in this morning – eg regularly fishtailing while riding in a straight line… Better on the bike than in a car I reckon though.

Off road route I hope clubber.

clubber
    Free Member

Mainly back roads and off-road sustrans routes but there wasn't much difference TBH as there were no cars taking the back roads.

GrahamS

a panicking black cabby slamming it all on and sliding to an idiotic stop

Not sure why it matters that he is black? Are you suggesting that the coloured folks aren't used to snow? 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

Im loving the snow. Last nights bike ride was ace. Stuck at home now as the roads to my village are shut. But at lunch time I shall be out either on my MTB or if its too deep for pedaling I shall take out one of my off road motorcycles and have more fun.

I can keep working from home and playing when works over. Result all round for me.

rOcKeTdOg

the A38 about 2 hours ago, still snowing

addy6402

riding a 29er but not blowing a trumpet about it – I'm guessing you live Rubery way?

I live on Lickey Road and ride up the A38 to town every day, cruising past queuing traffic all the way this morning! On a SS Inbred 29er as it happens 😀

phiiiiil

My journey across Cannock Chase this morning was an awful lot easier and quicker on the bike than it would have been by car – it was utter bedlam on any road with a hint of gradient.

I couldn't decide whether to feel guilty for not helping or smug that I was the only one still moving as I sailed past lots of stuck cars…

rOcKeTdOg

addy6402, yes most of the week, weekends in posh warwick, 29ers seem quite rare in our part of the North Worcestershire Alps!

did mtbMaff buy a frame off you?

btw i struggled into work and am now of course busy on the internet working

Houns

You lied RD roads were fine…Still pathetic snow here in the 'ditch

*waves toward the hospital*

rOcKeTdOg

aye, but i needed the help of some off school 'urchins' to push my car off my estate, hoping everyone's calm on the way home as i've got to go rural tonight

glenp
    Free Member

If that's what's happening you're going too fast. Your fault. Simple.

Maybe not quite that simple! There is a corner at the bottom of a long hill between me and the main road – roll around the corner too slow and the car will never get up the hill. On the other hand I got a little bit close to understeering into the snow bank this morning… tis a question of judging it just-so. What makes it extra akward is the unpredicability of thawing/re-freezing snow.

A lot of people don't drive with sufficient confidence, rather than with too much – they go so slow the car just wheelspins, they get stuck in the deep stuff and so on. You actually need a very similar mindset to mountain biking – ie. confident but controlled, committed but with concentration.

addy6402

riding a 29er but not blowing a trumpet about it – yes I think mtbmaff bought a Genesis IO frame from me…hope he's enjoying it.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘another snow groan’ is closed to new replies.