Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Another Recommend me a 15" LTHT
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Ive been thinking a bit about what bike id really like to be riding and really feel that my Cube Ltd race isnt quite it. Its not that i dont like it… more that i just dont feel its quite right. Also i kind of feel the 16″ frame is a bit too big for me. Im 5ft5″ 10 stone and 35 years old but mentally still 18. I only got back into MTBing 6 months ago after a 12 year lay off but been bitten by the bug again.

The cube is like a serious german.. it gets the job done very well and efficiently and is well made but Im more after something playfull that i can ride anywhere and give my over opiniated brother in law a taste of my dust as he struggles to keep up on his FS. Im not really that into getting a FS for some reason either.

Top of my current bike list is a Cotic Bfe.. or maybe a Charge Blender.
    I get the feeling the blender may be a little too slack and a little more DJ.
    I have also looked at 456s and a rock lobsters. From what ive read Its best to go steel and frame size for me no bigger than 15″ish. Im thinking some kind of adjustble forks 100-150mm??

Im not in a rush to get one but does anyone have any other good suggestions?? It can be frame only or full bike but total build would have to be under £800.

cinnamon_girl

Well, I’m the same height as you and used to have a 15″ Rock Lobster. It does have a short top tube and you may well find it too small. Also used to have a 16″ 456 but that had the opposite problem, ie a long top tube and was really too big.

Was very happy with my small Soul with 120mm forks, perfect geometry for me. A real work horse.

I would stake out the Classifieds. 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

If you want to go 2nd hand or frame only you can get some bargains on older DMR Trailstars (maybe even able to pick a newer one up for pretty cheap now). Failing that an NS Surge frame can be had for £250 from CRC.

mboy
    Free Member

Charge Blender is a 4X/DJ bike. It is waaaaaaay too slack in the seat angle for any kind of proper offroad riding. Supposed to be great fun, but if you put the saddle up on one it’d just wheelie everywhere cos your weight would be over the rear axle!

Soul/BFe would be a good choice. Problem is would you be on a 14, or a 16″ frame. I’d be inclined to suggest 16″ with a short stem rather than the other way round, though there’s only 20mm in the TT length so you could get a 14″ and run a slightly longer stem on it than you would on a 16″.

16″ On One’s are loooooooong. About the same length as most other manufacturers 18″ frames. And the 14″ On Ones are short. Shorter by 1/2 an inch in the TT than a 14″ Cotic. Odd sizing gap they have there, but I guess they did that for some reason.

br
    Free Member

My son has a Dr Jekyll with 120mm forks, while a very stiff frame its also pretty light.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Is there much difference between the soul and bfe??
    Bfe a bit slacker??
    My head is starting to hurt as ive looked at so many bikes and frame sizes in the last 2 days that i can see a bright orangey blue frame when i close my eyes.

cinnamon_girl

Small Soul is 16″ is it not?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Ive been offered a 13.5″ cove stiffee … and im thinking that would be too small??

cinnamon_girl

Dunno what Cove’s geometry is like but I’ve also had a 14″ Inbred that was too small.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Frame sizes are
    bfe 14.5″ or 16″
    soul 16″

mudsux
    Free Member

All other things being equal – can a LTHT really keep up with a FS?
    Just asking because although I can keep up with my LT fully suspended mates riding around Afan on my HT – I have to really work the bike and feel battered by the end of the w/e.
    A LT HT – I just don’t see being any different. Sure, you can ride it harder and hit the trail harder but the additional weight, poorer climbing geometry – gives no significant benefit in my eyes.
    My “curve ball” question really is – should you really be looking for a 100-125mm suspension bike instead?

mboy
    Free Member

Is there much difference between the soul and bfe??
    Bfe a bit slacker??

Same geometry, so no the BFe isn’t slacker. BFe is however about 1lb heavier, and “beefier” so it is warrantied for use with longer travel forks (up to 160mm should you want to, but they still handle best around 120mm), it is stiffer, and is generally designed to be abused more. Soul being lighter and more svelte is more the trail riders choice than the hooligans.

13.5″ Cove Stiffee would be too small, the 15.5″ might be spot on though… They size up slightly shorter than a 16″ Soul/BFe iirc, nice frames too if a little stiff for my liking.

16″ Genesis Altitude/Latitude might be a goer too… Similar geometry/style to the Soul, but about 5mm shorter in the TT length.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Mudsux… I probably cant really afford the FS id really want and 90% of my riding doesnt probably even need one. I just want a more fun bike that will handle going fast and off jumps better than my cube. I dont dislike the bike i have but have convinced myself that id have more fun on a longer travel steel HT than my more XC orientated cube. For me MTBing is about creeping off away from SWMBO and kids and having as much fun as i can cram in.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help so far BTW i do really appreciate the help pointing me in the right direction..

sv

NS Surge from CRC is £245 delivered when you use code ‘S1’, ordered one last Thursday. Isn’t it Wednesday yet 😀

cloudnine
    Free Member

What size urge frame should I be clocking?

sv

15inch.

Edit – apparently the Core full builds have the same frame.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Is the medium a 15′?
    From the crc blurb it days something like the 15 inch is like a 16.5 mtb frame. Just don’t want to get a too big frame

Crell
    Free Member

A small Evil Sov. 15″ seat tube and no brace on that size. 299 at CRC at the moment.

mudsux
    Free Member

You should be concentrating on the top-tube length.
    There’s also secondhand Sanderson Blitz on ebay?

_tom_
    Free Member

I think the surge may be a bit big actually as it has a 23″ tt iirc. I’m 5’9″ with short legs and found a medium surge pretty comfy.

nwill1
    Free Member

Read mboy’s post about the charge blender…..he clearly has never ridden 1!! It was voted best do-it-all hardtail in dirt 100 3 years running….why was that? Because its awsome!! Their only complaint……only come in 15″ so no good for people over 6 foot.

I ride one as my do it all bike, I’m 5″10″…..ride xc up to 35 miles, trail centres, mini dh tracks, 4x, BMX tracks and dj. It’s Sooo agile it just eats up tight singletrack. It’s not an exceptional climber but its worth the tiny amount of extra effort for the fun the rest of the time.

See link to my pinkbike profile for pics and a vid……

http://will4x.pinkbike.com/

Get one!!

cloudnine
    Free Member

The charge blender was actually the 1st bike i looked at.
    Now ive gone round in a circle.. 😆
    I think ive probably narrowed it down to.. either
    Cotic Bfe 14.5″(after phoning cotic and asking about sizing)
    Evil Sovereign 15.5″
    Charge blender 15

ricardo666
    Free Member

Can i throw my handsome dog 14″ into your thinking pot.

I have been riding one of these to and from work, up down the canal, park etc.

Run reba forks so not sure how much the handling and geometry would be effected with longer travel forks.

qwerty
    Free Member

If you want a short top tube then consider a Santa Cruz, Chamelion.

Dialled Bikes, Prince Albert should be worth a look as its a good price and mean in green.

nwill1
    Free Member

“For me MTBing is about creeping off away from SWMBO and kids and having as much fun as i can cram in.”

Haha, just read this & that’s just like me….the xc bits of the ride are to get me to the fast swoopy single track and dh/freeride park. My blast loop is 16 – 18 miles round trip stopping off at kinver freeride park for some gaps, drops, jumps & dh runs.

If you go with a blender try & get adjustable forks, I run pikes 100mm for canels, big climbs and roads, 120mm for trail riding/singletrack then wind them out to 140mm for the dh runs, so much fun it always has me grinning for ear to ear.

4x tracks, uk dh, trail centres does it all.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just been offered a 16″ chumba hx1.. but again im not really sure if its a touch too big?? Sorry to drag this process out but im looking at different bikes/frames which i have no idea about. If i bought a frame only what adjustable forks should i be looking at??
    Fox Talas
    Rockshox u turns
    Pikes
    ??

cloudnine
    Free Member

Still drawn to the blender.. seen this on pinkbike http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1064813/
    (guy will take £650)

Also seen a 15″ 08 orange crush for £350 but needs new forks and maybe some other bits.

How much should i be shelling out for a 2nd Hand blender?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh that looks really good but its probably about £200 to expensive. Dont buy the orange, it’ll be shite.

Edit

£650 might be closer to the mark

RustySpanner

As Cinnamon Girl said, really.

I’m 5 foot 6;
    Rock Lobster 15 inch fits really well, as does a small Soul/Bfe.
    Lobster deffo not a LTHT, it’s a shortish, brilliantly handling xc bike.

16 inch On One’s/Ragley’s are just a little too big, damn you Richards!

I’d go for a s/h Cotic, or perhaps a small Dialled Prince Albert?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just picked up a brand new 2011 Chrome blender for £599 from rutland cycles.. It doesn’t have adjustable forks but I reckon I could sell the RS argyles and buy some decent ones.

johnhe

A 125mm full suss bike and a LTHT are two completely different things. Both equally good in my book.i think it’s great to have both if you can. If you want to keep up with your mates on a longer ride, and not feel beaten up at the end of it, then in my opinion, full suss is the way to go. Personally, I love LTHT’s, so I’d probably plump for that first, but everyone will have a different take.

I assume you’re already aware of this, but asking questions on here will give you then impression that steel hard tails are better than everything else. It’s a valid point of view, but the vast majority of the rest of the biking world would not the same slant on that question as you’ll get asking around here.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The bike is more for me having the max amount of fun in a short amount of time. I dont really get time to go on big rides.. and im a short arse (which limits frame bike / choice too).. so im hoping it will be a great fun bike.

nwill1
    Free Member

Saw that on their ebay page, didn’t think they had any left in stock, bargin, yeah new argyles will sell at a good enough price to get travel adjust forks, Rose were doing pikes for £250, might get that (or very nearly for the argyles).

Keep us updated on how you fund it….I’m sure you’ll love it. 1 other valid upgrad would be wider bars.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Anyone got a good suggestion for sub £350 adjustable forks 100-150mm ish??

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The blender is meant for 100mm forks, just use they Argyles, they’ll be fine. Save your money, go on a skills course and learn how to ride it properly.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Ha.. Arrived this afternoon… Just been for a quick blast around the village and its feels great. Liked the size and feel of it immediately and put a smile on my face as i rolled off down the street bunny hopping off the curbs. I like the 1×9 gears, slack setup and even probably keep the forks for now. Just this.. 😀

Thanks for the help everyone 8)

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Another Recommend me a 15" LTHT’ is closed to new replies.