Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Another PC gaming thread – recommend a PC strategy game
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

This weather is rubbish, looking for something to pass this afternoon.

Can anyone recommend a good PC strategy game?

My new laptop is Windows 7 64 and it doesn’t like a lot of the old stuff I used to play. (Civi 2 and stuff).

Any suggestions?

Xylene
    Free Member

Crayon Physics

The World of GOo

Cougar
    Northwind

More recent Civ game?
    Some sort of Total War? (I think they’ve been getting worse with every version since the first tbh but ymmv)
    Some space stuff- Galactic Civilisations? Sins of a Solar Empire?

If you’re up for a challenge there’s always Dwarf Fortress.

Cougar

Oooh,

Starcraft?

winston_dog
    Free Member

Thanks for that patch Cougar. I’ll try it, although the MS website said it wasn’t compatible with 7.

Quirrel – Loving World of Goo at the moment – reminds me of Lemmings.

simon_g

Good Old Games – http://www.gog.com/ – are great for older stuff (most laptop graphics are a bit poor for the really recent games), they’re cheap and they package them up to work properly on current OS versions.

Lifer
    Free Member

Rome Total War and Total War:Medieval 2 are very good and you should be able to get preowned for not much money.

Easily my favourite strategy games turn based campaign with real time battles, can get frantic!

crankboy
    Free Member

personally, Rome total war. fairly interesting strategy and fun and almost accurate tactically.

chvck
    Free Member

Just to balance it out, I find Rome total war dull and annoying! I find that the game is generally a bit buggy and the battles just don’t seem to be as good as they should be. I also get really irritated when you’ve been playing for a while and the areas you’ve captured furthest away from your capital seem intent on constant rebellion no matter what i do! Granted, this might just be me being crap at it.

Northwind

Medieval 2 just about holds together as a game but you end up forgiving the massive flaws because of the good bits- which isn’t so good really.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just go for the newest Civ!

Cougar

Just been looking at Civ for wholly unrelated reasons (discussing the Settlers of Catan board game with a mate and he asked “so, it’s a bit like Civ then?”) and stumbled across this,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeciv

Might be worth a look; seems to be a modern, free implementation of the Civ series that can be run in Civ 2 mode.

JohnnyPanic

Total Annihilation
    Homeworld (& HW2)
    Oldies but goodies.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Another PC gaming thread – recommend a PC strategy game’ is closed to new replies.