Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Another Morzine Thread
  • Konastoner
    Free Member

Off to the Morz in Sept, just wondering if its worth switching out my air shock for coil?

Never been there before so don’t know what to expect, run length etc.

If so anyone got a 200 x 57 going cheap?

nickjb
    Free Member

If your air shock works here it’ll work there. I’d be more worried about what lifts are open in Sept

allthegear
    Free Member

Last week of lifts is Sept 4th, I seem to remember…

Rachel

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    flyingmonkeycorps

Long runs!

But in a group of seven of us that went this year I was the only one with coil, and no one had any problems with their air cans, so unless it’s something you really want to do anyway I wouldn’t bother.

What bike, out of curiosity?

hora
    Free Member

Who are you going with?

Buzz21
    Free Member

Morzine, les get and chatel lifts are open untill the 11th of september just the porte du soleil lifts are shut.4 of us will be there on the 5th for a week. I was worried about the lift situation but there is no need to ,apparently there is plenty still to ride.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

just the porte du soleil lifts are shut

Willing to bet the Avoriaz lifts are shut so there’s no way across to Chatel other than a quite lengthy drive.

cakeeater
    Free Member

I was there early last season before all the lifts opened. Plenty of riding from the Pleney lift and over in to Les Gets. You’ll just end up sessioning the runs more rather than long days out heading over to Chatel etc.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Amazingly there are people who head out there and JUST ride the runs accessed from the Chanvannes lift in Les Gets and the Plenny in Morzine.

There’s more than enough there to keep you occupied but you really need to be into full on DH riding if you’re just going to focus on those two hills.

Re. the original question, it’s worth thinking about if you want to also use a coil damper elsewhere. Best value approach would then be something like a Fox Van R or something off of eBay.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Thanks all,

4 of us going over, i’m driving. We booked with Alpine Elements, says that the lifts shut on the 11th so looks ok. I’ll be riding this: –

chakaping
    Free Member

Is the Supermorzine gondola and Zorre chairlift above it open until Sep 11 do you know Buzz?

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I thought the Super Morzine and Zore closed on the first date. The Pleny, Chavannes and Mont Chery stay open a week longer.

TBH it’s a great time to go as there is hardly anyone there so you can session the DH courses without having to queue for lifts. And there’s still loads to be ridden.

BoardinBob

Currently sitting in Morzine watching the torrential rain. It’s my first time out here so here are my thoughts so far

You can’t be overbiked. I’m here with a 170mm coil sprung full bouncer and I’m getting battered senseless

Make sure your bike is 100% working. The terrain will kill your bike

Dual ply tyres are a must. Not for puncture protection, just to give a bit more support

Braking bumps are brutal on your forearms

Bring the biggest and best brakes you can afford. You will kill your brakes.

Avoid the green or blue runs. They’re poorly maintained and boring.

Make sure you can slam your seatpost right down. It’s so steep you need to be able to get right over the back if the bike with ease

Bike shop prices aren’t as bad as you’d think. Dual ply maxis tyres are €44 each. I was expecting double that based on Internet scaremongering

Torico bike shop is super helpful

This place is amazing!

Buzz21
    Free Member

Here is the dates for morzine lifts Link

flyingmonkeycorps

Some of the greens and blues are rubbish… But some are awesome.

BoardinBob

flyingmonkeycorps – Member
    Some of the greens and blues are rubbish… But some are awesome.
    POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Only decent blue we’ve found is over in les gets. The shore and the jump park are pretty good. The blue from les gets back to Morzine is a total slopfest. Any other decent ones?

flyingmonkeycorps

Best green we found was over in Chatel, from the Avoriaz / Lindarets side – take the lift out of Lindarets and follow the green signs for “Panoramic”. Grand in the wet too, as it’s actually properly surfaced too – imagine Spooky Wood on steroids, lots of flowy jumps, pumps and berms.

Some of the blues on the other side of Lindarets were ok, though the reds were better. Awful in the wet though.

The green from the Mont Cherie lift in Les Gets is great fun, though it could be a bit greasy in the wet – there are a lot of roots for a green. It always seems to be quiet though.

The green from the top of the Chavannes lift in Les Gets is pretty good fun, you can take it down to the fireroad then follow that to the jump park lift. I remember it being less fun in the wet though.

Your mileage may vary – we had a lovely dry week 😉

hora
    Free Member

Are Alpine Elements related in anyway to Allmountainlodge who I stayed with years ago? (shudders). From memory none of the lifts were open and the promised van uplifts disappeared as they needed the vehicle/staff for ‘refurbishment work’.

Then there was the sugar in the transits fuel tank which led to the vehicle conking out in the middle of the Geneva tunnel. We never received an apology or comment for that. Luckily the Swiss Police officers listened to me and agree to take us and our luggage in their cars to the airport and insist the check in desk reopened for us. I found out later it was a disgruntled employee taking revenge on the company.

If it is the same company and anyone from there wants to take humbradge at my comments feel free to contact me (but you better **** apologise).

I’ll add the NZ couple were spot on and the two guides who were there at the time were top blokes.

Blower
    Free Member

morgins blue is good.

BoardinBob

We were heading over to Morgins on our last day but by the time we dropped into Lindarets, the trails there were bordering on unrideable due to the mud so we cut our losses and headed back to Morzine as we were confident that the Pleney would have been ok which thankfully it was, despite a couple of days of torrential rain 🙁

Blower
    Free Member

aye rode in the mud all week just got back in the early hours of this morning.

BoardinBob

We got caught on the Chavannes chairlift on Thursday in the brutal rainstorm that came in and the chairlift kept stopping every 30 seconds 😥

Blower
    Free Member

not good BB..

got caught in it all the way from Champery ridge line back to Morzine in it,mind over matter to get back arghh,no goggles-glasses on could’nt see
    came off and cracked a few ribs 😯

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Another Morzine Thread’ is closed to new replies.