Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Another Mac question – dual boot/vm
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Anyone using VM Fusion 3 or Parrallels for mac?

If you buy it are you tied to only using it on 1 mac?

Any cheaper alternatives out there?

retro83
    Free Member

virtual box is the cheaper (free!) option

allthegear
    Free Member

Virtual Box works really quite well – I have a "VM" of our work setup that I can use whenever I want at home. Handy.

carbon337
    Free Member

easy to setup and use?

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes, I guess so – I do IT for a living so I'm no the best judge, though.

carbon337
    Free Member

yeah me too, I'll take a look thanks

woffle
    Free Member

Parallels user at work – 'tis good. Performance wise it's been proven to the be best of the bunch though you may pay for this in terms of stability (not that I've had any issues mind).

simon_g

VMware Fusion here, mainly for ease of moving VMs about between other vmware environments. It lets you run the boot camp partition as a VM which is handy (but I think Parallels offers that too).

Both VMware and Parallels are pretty even in this market, any feature that one has, the other seems to get in a couple of months and the same goes for performance.

1 licence = 1 Mac, btw.

geoffj

I have use VM Ware on my desktop and laptop. I only bought one copy and I only use one version at a time. IIRC it doens't do the validation online.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I use Fusion here and love it. Much prefer to boot camp and you can create all different types of VMs, so I have servers and stuff for work on there so I cn tinker. The unity feature in fusion is great too, where you can run windows apps in a normal window as if they were running natively in mac

carbon337
    Free Member

virtual box seems to be doing all i need at the moment – combinded with spaces etc – only problem seems to be finding a copy of xp in my bundles of disks. Now the iso attempt begins.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Another Mac question – dual boot/vm’ is closed to new replies.