Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Another *HELP* on RS REVELATION dual airs. . . . PLEASE !?!
  • moniex
    Free Member

Cheers for the help on fri nite. Had some trouble with a set of revs dual air 2009 bought of the forum. Got air pressures and travel sorted with a bit of help from here, but still not sure if there is something wrong so could do with a bit of help.

The forks arrived with about 130ish psi (can't quite remeber) in the + chamber and only 50psi in the – chamber. I emptied both chambers and refilled with 70 psi each (I am only 9st girly). Had some oil coming out of the – chamber, but I turned bike upside down to change pressure and now only a tiny bit of oil comes out when I put the shock pump on.

First Q: is it ok for a little oil to escape from the -chamber, even upside down?

Second Q: I thought it was a little suspect that the – pressure was so much lower when I received the forks. During my ride yesterday the – lost around 10 to 20 psi during the ride (noticed this when I upped pressure of both chambers to 80 in the afternoon). Checked this morning and the – was 70 psi and the + still 80. Do I have an air leak in the – chamber? If so what can I do about this? And does it need to be dealt with straight away? We are of to the Alps on Sat so need some help quick. . .

Bought the forks of here, but the chap went on hols last fri so haven't been able to contact him either… 🙁

Any thought and/or advice much appreciated.

Cheers guys (and girls!)

Simone

Jammy111
    Free Member

q1) yes perfectly normal for this to happen, forget about it.
    q2) are you sure its not you connecting the pump that is causing the reduction in pressure readings??? sounds like this may be the case, as the negative chamber is tiny compared to the +ve so you notice the largest reduction in pressure.

stevet
    Free Member

Isnt it usual for the fork to appear to be losing pressure everytime a shock pump is connected … Pressure from inside the fork has to fill the shock pump barrel before you get a reading so im guessing its normal … Not sure if it should be a whole 10psi though !

Jammy111
    Free Member

stevet- the -ve chamber is tiny so perfectly feasible for this drop in pressure (it only takes about 8 pumps to fill the thing up to 80psi)

stevet
    Free Member

Ah as i thought then ! I pumped mine up till it bounced alright then rode the thing 😆

moniex
    Free Member

. . . mmm so this may wel be normal? Not sure its me connecting the pump as I use the same pump for the + ive and that's ok. Just thought it was strange that the forks arrived with 130 in + and only 50 in -, and now seem to be losing pressure.

So even losing upto 20 psi in one ride is normal? Should I check and adjust the – chamber before every ride then?

Sorry bout all the q's, I only have one other air fork and that is a fox float 140 and I never have to touch that!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

If you put the pump back on straight after setting the pressure you'll get an idea of how much air it looses on re-attaching.. This will be greater for the -ve air.
    Re-set the pressures and ride it. If you re-attach the pump later and it only looses the same amount then it's not leaking. If it is then check the valve cores first.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Mine lose 10-20 psi when disconnecting the shock pump.

Best to set the +ve air with the -ve empty as well.

xc-steve
    Free Member

You are filling the chambers in the correct order? IIRC Postive first (top) negative second (bottom)

Del

and the -ve should be empty when you fill the +ve. as above, if you're expecting your shock pump to read what you've put in after disconnecting and reconnecting you'll be disappointed. TADTS ( they all do that sir ).
    the oil thing is normal too, again, as above. worth pulling your wheel out so you don't spray oil over your disc.

moniex
    Free Member

I have been filling the + 1st, does this also go for topping it up? So do I need to empty the – chamber before even just adding a little to the + ? Cos I did not do that. I did top up the + ive first though.

Will try the filling and re-attching thing to get a reading on pressure loss when re-attaching and hopefully find out for sure weather it's leaking air. . .

If it does turn out to be loosing pressure from the -ive chamber, what do I do about that? Willing to learn and I have got a brother in law who is a car/motorbike mechanic with a garage full of tools to help :o) . . . If i'm nice to him that is. . . Or do I need to get them to a pro.

Cheers again,
    Simone

Jammy111
    Free Member

you will need a dual air service kit from the guys at TFtuned- around 25quid. Some grease and a few spanners. Oh and some 15wt suspension oil. quite easy to do by yourself.

If you email me at jammy111@gmail.com ill reply with the 2010 service manual attached.

OllyUK
    Free Member

This is how I empty and fill my revs.
    With bike upside down empty negative
    Bike upright – empty positive
    Fill positive
    Bike upside down – fill negative

I do this whenever I want to change any pressures and never top up so that I know I've been as accurate as possible.

If you do want to top up the positive there is no need to empty the negative, but topping up the positive before the negative is always good.

moniex
    Free Member

Cheers jammy111, will the 2010 manual also be ok for my 2009 forks?

Have just done what bikewhisperer suggested and set the pressure and re-attached the pump straight away. Seems to loose about 10psi on doing that. . . was losing bit more during the ride I think. Would it be ok to just ride them as we are going to the alps on Saturday, and worry bout the service afterwards? Don't want to wreck them and need expensive repairs afterwards. . .

Sorry, but been having lots of bad luck recently buying used forks (can't really afford new), so now quite (!) weary and want to be sure this set is ok. . .

Thanks again for all the suggestions so far. . .
    Simone

Jammy111
    Free Member

depends; if they are loosing air you need to replace the seals asap, or else you are going to be left without a working fork in the alps. if it is just you attaching the pump which is causing the pressure loss then there is no problem.

moniex
    Free Member

Not sure, could be the shock pump and me re-attaching it. The pressure it looses when putting the pump straight back on seems to vary every time. . .

I think I'll just wait and see, hopefully it was just operator error!

Will bring my pikes to the alps as a spare I think. . .

thanks for all your help guys!

Simone

soobalias
    Free Member

put the pump down.

go and ride the bike, hard, for a few hours.
    if there is no change in performance, stop worrying and stop faffing.

takisawa2

Would have thought Pikes would be the weapon of choice over Revs for the Alps anyway…
    Have a good time whatever you take.

moniex
    Free Member

Cheers, I think my husband has now confiscated the shock pump anyway LOL!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Another *HELP* on RS REVELATION dual airs. . . . PLEASE !?!’ is closed to new replies.