Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Another Ebay DX Rip Off Merchant
  • mavisto
    Free Member

I don't know how they have the nerve.

Another DX Rip Off

I really hope they get stuck with a job lot of them that they can't sell!

DezB
    Free Member

Seen this one ?

Who would really pay £150 postage?? To make NO PROFIT?! Crazy feckers.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

That one's just totally bizarre.. :-S

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sohala
    Free Member

they are good lights mind.
    i have 2, first one cost £38 c/w batteries and charger, second one (light only) was £26 both inclusive of postage.
    postage was quick aswell.

a lot to be said for buying direct.

davidrussell
    Free Member

ask the seller how he can justify the price tag, given a quick google will reveal the light actually costs 1/2 that. he's obviously done as much reasearch as his potential buyers 🙁

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

They'd probably be quite easy to sell through a LBS to folks who aren't in the habit of scouring Ebay or the various MTB forums. There really are quite a lot of those people out there.

Del

well, seeing as they were tested from a reseller by mbuk last month at a price of 150 quid, he's doing you a favour, even if he is 'cutting 'is own froat'. mbuk even suggested that getting them from that distributor was worth it!
    'ebay buyers in lack of research shock'.
    all power to his elbow TBH.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Things are worth what people will pay for them ! Mind you from reading stuff on here anyone selling them on will have a massive hassle when they all come back broken and people want warranty replacements.

That said I paid an extra £35 on top of the DX £50 for some US made ones and they dont come with a warranty (mind you they dont look like they've been put together in 5mins in the dark)

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

You spend £50 and wait 1 month, or you spend £100 and wait a few days. You think all the big brands make the lights themselves? They commision a HK/Thai/wherever producer to make…only difference is you cant buy direct from them. Fair play to him i say.

wombat

I think that they still seem to be a good deal for £100. We just think they're a ripoff because we know where to get them much cheaper.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have ordered 2 DX lights. Going to sell one via auction. If it goes for £100ish the person bidding obviously is happy to pay that and i get a free light 😈 At the end of the day i am the one paying the money out, waiting for several weeks and would take the hit if i get import charges. So i think its perfectly fair.

But true, banging it straight out for £150 is a bit harsh. I would certainly expect UK charger and warranty for that.

mavisto
    Free Member

It's the bull about similar lights costing £250 that really annoys me.

NO! The identical light costs £50 and you are trying to rip people off for another £50.

Lucky I got mine from DX 2 weeks ago.

mavisto
    Free Member

DezB

– Yes I did see those. I suspect you might have to pay import duty on those too. I don't think that quantity of lights would sneak through the customs radar.

andywarner
    Free Member

where do people normally order them from?

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

in fairness 900 lumes does cost £150+ from crc or similar, just look at vision 4's. He has seen a market and is making some mark up cash… OH the same as a bike shop. Fair play to him, not many know where to get cheap high lumen lights from

clubber
    Free Member

Sorry, it's not a rip off at all.

If the seller said that this specific model cost £300 everywhere else and that he was doing them half price, that'd be a rip off. If he said that they were 2000 lumen, that'd be a rip off.

WELCOME TO THIS BUY IT NOW FOR THIS BRIGHT LED MOUNTAIN/ROAD LIGHT. THIS TYPE OF LIGHT WOULD COST OVER £250 .

"Type" not, this specific light. A reasonable claim.

HAVE DONE A LOT OF RESEARCH INTO VARIOUS LIGHTS AVAILABLE IN THE U.K ,AND FOR THIS PRICE IT IS VERY GOOD VALUE .

Perfectly true IMO

TO FIND A LIGHT THIS BRIGHT THEY WOULD HAVE TO SPEND MORE THAN DOUBLE

OK, not technically true since you could buy the DX yourself but then since he's selling from the UK, you're not strictly comparing like with like. I wouldn't accuse an offie here of ripping me off for beer because I can buy the same beer cheaper from abroad.

I'd love to know of the people saying it's a rip off, what sort of margins your company works to when selling things, especially those imported. I know that ours are a lot more than 100% as in this example.

higgo
    Free Member

Trader in 'buy low, sell high' shocker.

Where's the rip-off?

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

I think its a rip only because of the build quality and the fact there is no warranty , they add nothing to the supply chain.

say i buy one it brakes do i get warranty ? crash replacement ?

If you sell on cheap products you accept that from time to time you will get crap sent to you an may sell this on so you offer warranty and it costs you a small part of the margin. I dont think these people are doing this !!!

mavisto
    Free Member

andywarner – Member

where do people normally order them from?

I'm not sure if you are taking the piss or really don't know, but if not then the lights are available here, but at the moment you have to wait for them.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Or the us made ones for a little more no warranty but mine arrived in 4 days are are very well made.

http://www.hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=PartsLed.htm&ORDER_ID=271325225

DezB
    Free Member

I'd love to know of the people saying it's a rip off… blah blah blah. I only count 1 person saying that. But it is interesting the lengths you go to to tell him he's wrong.

andywarner
    Free Member

lol cheers mavisto i really aren't taking the piss! i keep my head firmly in the sand.

clubber
    Free Member

Well it just gets on my goat when people say that things are a rip off when it's just normal business and probably something that their own company does exactly the same!

as to 'the people saying it's a rip off' I should have been clearer but I was also referring to the previous thread about this.

mavisto
    Free Member

clubber – Member

Do you want to buy my light from me? Unused but fully tested, complete with 3 pin adaptor. How does £100 sound?

Am I trying to rip you off?

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

he is selling them on ebay, IF they brake you send it back under the ebay protection (assuming you use paypal) simple! same with any other product on ebay… you ar eprotected with paypal and I have claimed over 6 times all got my cash back!

mavisto
    Free Member

andywarner – Member

No problem.

Everyone keeps saying you get what you pay for with these lights and for £50 they are great value. Ok, so they get a bit warm and the battery pack isn't waterproof, but £50 really is great value.

Personally I wouldn't have risked buying one for £100 and I certainly wouldn't buy one for £150. If my only option was to buy one for £150 or get something else, Troutie would be sat there with my cash in his pocket. Depending on how much night riding I do, he might get it anyway.

clubber
    Free Member

mavisto – no, you're not. If I reckoned that £100 was good value (and I needed a light) then that's ok. I don't so, thanks but I'll reject your kind offer 😉

stumpy01

Don't see what the problem is – if someone wants to buy them & then sell them on at a profit, so what?

mavisto
    Free Member

clubber – I'm happy you rejected my kind offer, because I really would have felt that I was ripping you off if you had.

IMO selling on ebay has become a very dubious activity. Gullible people think, because it is on ebay they are getting a bargain, when they are not. And whatever business you or I may be in, I do not believe in taking advantage of gullible people.

clubber
    Free Member

If you'd told me that your price was the cheapest out there for this light THEN you'd be ripping me off. You didn't so you weren't. Buyer beware and all that.

Gullible people think, because it is on ebay they are getting a bargain

Yep, absolutely but if people don't want to do any research then that's the price they pay. Same as going in to a car dealership and not haggling.

In this case, the guy buys the light for £50 presumably, sells then for a 100% markup but has to pay postage (say a fiver), ebay fees and tie cash up in them before they sell. The buyer gets a UK seller and gets them faster than if they ordered them from DX (presumably). Not a rip off.

mavisto
    Free Member

clubber – I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one!

The way I read it, the seller is trying to mislead potential buyers, by quoting a £250 price tag for 'similar lights' and not mentioning that he is presumably buying them 'retail' for £50. Not ripping people off would have involved saying that you can buy it for £50 from Hong Kong, but you will have to wait 6 weeks for it to arrive.

And as for selling them to his friends, my friends would get told where I buy them from, not charged £50 for the privilege.

Oh, the adapter plug costs £1.24 by the way.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Another Ebay DX Rip Off Merchant’ is closed to new replies.