Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Another cyclocross thread…
  • davetrave
    Free Member

Following on from the “Cyclocros…” thread and questions about disc or canti. What v-brakes for cross bikes…?

Currently running Tektro CR520 cantis but the front suffers from massive judder under braking. My worry now is on 3 Peaks type hard stuff where there is lots of braking, as opposed to the usual Sunday league stuff, that at some point the carbon steerer on my fork is going to go ping and catapult me face first in to the paving slabs on the descent from Whernside. A change to vees will solve the judder problem but looking at the likes of the TRP CX9 issues over clogging seem to arise with the pad being close to the rim along with issues over cable pull with older Shimano STIs. Apparently TRP are bringing out a version with a shorter arm that will solve that, but not until after the season has started and 3 Peaks has been and gone.

So, CX9 and bodge, MTB vees and Travel Agents or short arm BMX vees…?

aP
    Free Member

My bmc with Easton forks had massive fork judder (with both shimano and tektro cantis) and it was fine for the 3 Peaks last year. I changed frames to an Argon 18 after the 3 Peaks and (now that I’ve managed to put all the bits in the headset that were missing when I bought the frameset) it’s super stiff with not even a hint of movement or judder.
    I wouldn’t worry too much – just toe the pads in a lot and accept that you’ll be changing pads regularly.

gazc
    Free Member

sorry can’t help on the v front (had them on a day one drop and preferred canti’s for clearance and lack of sponginess) but maybe try increasing the length of the straddle wire/raising the straddle point on the canti’s. seems to have sorted my judder out and they work spot on so maybe worth a try – i’m running frogglegs btw

leggyblonde
    Free Member

does your fork crown have a hole?

gazc
    Free Member
    scottyroyal
    Free Member

Last year for the peaks I ran MTB V-brakes with a travel agent – spot on. More power than cantis and no judder.
    This year I’ve got a new CX frame with a tapered headtube that doesn’t judder with cantis but I’ll still switch to V’s for the peaks for the extra power.

stever
    Free Member

The Vs are more powerful, but the clearance might give you an issue in regular cross. http://www.flickr.com/photos/steverile/5110973784/in/photostream

Suspect the 3P would be ok though (I borrowed a bike with cable discs the only time I did it). I’ve just bought a Tektro canti’d bike, no sign of the dreaded judder yet but now you’ve scared me with that talk of carbon forks! If you see me face down on Whernside, be sure to get a good jump in.

redted
    Free Member

Fork mounted cable hangers help for sure,assuming your fork will take one?

davetrave
    Free Member

more ideas here

Hmm, very promising – main triangle/headtube disengagment. “What false teeth for…”

no sign of the dreaded judder yet but now you’ve scared me with that talk of carbon forks! If you see me face down on Whernside, be sure to get a good jump in.

If your forks have gone, then mine might not be far off, more likely you’ll be there to break my face plant. Could you arrange that…? 😆

Eggbox
    Free Member

I had tektro CR720s (basically same as the 520s) and they were poor/adequate. I have replaced them with the tektro mini vs that on-one are knocking out for £20 for a full set, these are actually quite good even in the wet and no judder.

I can see how they might accumulate mud more easily but they actually work as brakes so get my vote.

DenDennis
    Free Member

OR switch to Vees on front and keep canti on rear?

Mixed solution I know but tis what I have, I seemed to always get more clog on the rear than front when I had Vees there….

clubber
    Free Member

V brake and travel agents – I’ve been using them for over a year now – no problems, good braking, don’t know why I didn’t do it sooner TBH.

tthew

I seemed to always get more clog on the rear than front when I had Vees there….

‘cos most of the clog at the front goes on the back of the forks before it reaches the brake arms.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Another cyclocross thread…’ is closed to new replies.