Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Another Alfine setup question
  • swallow
    Free Member

I’m getting an alfine wheel in the next day or two that is going onto a Sanderson Soloist frame. This has an ebb to take up the slack and vertical(ish) dropouts.

I’m going to want to route the gear cable down/up the seatstay rather than chainstay and looking at various threads/articles online it would appear that it is possible to re-angle the gear selector to allow this.

What I really don’t understand though is what colour tabbed washers do I need to use left and right to set this up? Presumably not what is normally recommended in this scenario with the gearchange routed along the chainstay? And does anyone know where you can get these washers individually?

Thanks once again in advance for the knowledge sharing, I’d be lost without it! Tom

Hicksy
    Free Member

Green on the drive side, blue non-drive side. Hope that helps.

swallow
    Free Member

so, is that just the opposite way round to running the selector pointing along the chainstay?

Hicksy
    Free Member

Not sure I’m afraid, but my sliding dropout (so vertical really) Inbred has the cable running down the seatstay and uses green and blue things as above. Works a treat. 😀

col642
    Free Member

I have a voodoo wanga with vertical sliding dropouts.
    I fitted an alfine and the blue / green washers direct the cable along the chainstay.
    Swapping sides doesn’t direct the cable up the seatstay as I tried to do it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Terhe is a whole variety of different washers – I think you want the black and grey ones for this they are for angled dropouts to route the cable along the chainstay so with vertical droupls should route it along the seatstay

On this leaflet in the box towards the bottom right
    http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/Alfine/SGS500/35Z0C-001_SG-S500-EN_v1_m56577569830613357.pdf

Rikoshea
    Free Member

My mate just spun the axle 180 deg and had it pointing backwards with a fair sized loop on the gear cable?

Del

i used the blue and green switched as Hicksy above IIRC. this puts the cable stop in a position where it ‘might’ interfere with the chain, but it’s just a bit of pressed steel, and was easy enough to persuade ( bend ) out a bit with no ill effects.

swallow
    Free Member

thanks everyone – local bike shop said they can get me individual washers for……£8.59 EACH!! So I have caved in and ordered the full fitting kit online for 12 quid, giving me a replacement gear selector unit in case I ever break one.

No matter how hard I try to spend some money with the local bike shops, I never manage to do it

spokebloke
    Free Member

I’ve got spare grey and black washers if you want them – needed green &blue on mine too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Another Alfine setup question’ is closed to new replies.