Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ankle ligaments, how long?
  • Bernaard
    Free Member

Did my ankle ligaments on Monday at Sherwood pines, tackling the wall ride with muddy tyres and losing.
    Went over on my right ankle and it went pop.
    Just about walking normal now after 5 days, but still have a slight limp.
    X rays show no breaks, so how long before I can get back on the bike.

Shame cause I had some rides planned on the run up to Christmas.
    That'll learn me for trying to be 17 again.

jedi

stirrup tape it/wear ankle support and it will be good to go.
    just dont ride in ankle supports all the time as you need to strengthen it again

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you can walk you can ride a bike IMO IIRC the usual advice is "exercise within the limits of the pain" ie if it don't hurt you can do it

How long – it all depends on how much damage you did – I tore mine once – it was nearly a year until I could run on it again.

*all internet medical advice needs a large pinch of salt*

ebygomm
    Free Member

Depends on which ligaments and how severely, anything from a couple of weeks to a year.

29erKeith
    Free Member

If you’re walking within a week it'll not be long really, a month tops!
    Perhaps see about a wobble board/cushion or alternatively try doing a few things balanced on your bad leg like brushing your teeth etc (once it’s up to it, build up slowly)

It'll help improve to your ankles Proprioception
    as it'll be all out of whack 'cos of your injury

Last time I did one of mine I was walking in a few days and did a marathon a little over a month after.
    Time before however I was on crutches for 5 weeks 😥
    couldnt run or ride for months

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Rest it dude, trying to battle through just leads to a longer recovery and possibly weaker ankle long term

cp

I'd be surprised if it's torn or anything that severe if you're walking on it already. See thread the other day. Mines 3 years and a bit and it still hurts.

VanHalen

you need to use it (within reason). removes risk of inflammation apparently. and reduces risk of any loss of movement.

dont sit foot up till it doesnt hurt.

go see a doctor.

CheesybeanZ

53 weeks and still not great 😥 if i ride my inbred its swollen the
    next day , seems ok on the 5 . had x rays , useda wobble board , lots of
    stretches and balance exercices from the physio dept ……….

Bernaard
    Free Member

I did it before 18 months ago and was on crutches for 2 weeks.
    This time the pain was worse, just it seems to be healing quicker.
    Might be something to do with eating Ibroprufen like smarties though.

Cheers guys

spacemonkey

I did mine about 12 years ago. Can't remember how bad it was, but I had crutches for a while. Couldn't do any exercise whatsoever for 8 weeks, and even that was minimal. Took a year or so to get the "stiffness" out and get back to normal.

By the sounds of it, you'll be fine in a couple of weeks though.

MRanger156
    Free Member

If its bad get physio.

I did mine 13 months ago playing football – went pop. Saw a free NHS physio as a one off and she said it was badly sprained. She said light cycling was ok but after 3 months I played football and went over on it again.

Mine has just about fully healed now but I can still feel it. Looking back I wish I had got physio and left it longer.

MattPhotos
    Free Member

Surely I can't have been the only one who read the thread title and thought.. ooohh.. about 3cm.
    A lack of stupid answers… on STW(!)… shame on you people, shame on you.

ahwiles
    Free Member

8 years and counting…

Geronimo
    Free Member

Having been plagued with ankle problems since falling about 2 metres onto my inverted left foot from a climbing wall <wince> in 1997, I have recently been under the knife and am now enduring a (potentially long-term) recovery period.

Do be seen by a physio (privately, if necessary) and try to sort out your balance, otherwise you'll end up with frequent recurrences (and a career as a tight-rope walker will be in jeopardy). I ended up detaching the ligaments at some point and they've now been re-attached.

Ankle Surgery Thread

Spud

Did mine in May, currently having physio. Physio says fine to use it but need to do plenty of work to retrain the ligaments.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Balance exercises – it's better to do these exercises with eyes shut.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ankle ligaments, how long?’ is closed to new replies.