Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Android to PC Synch Help Required
  • BigJohn

For years and years I’ve had a smartphone and synched all my contacts and calendar with Outlook on the PC.

Today I swapped my old Orange SPV (Windows OS) for an Orange San Francisco Android phone and tried to hook it up to the PC.

Nothing. Nada. Zero.

I downloaded some drivers of unknown origin so I can at least see the SD card but as far as synchronising with Outlook (which would be vastly preferable, but not vital, to moving over to a new email and calendar app) and getting music onto it, I’m stuffed.

Somebody here must be able to help me find a good but free bit of software to do what I thought should be automatic.

verses

Android is largely centred around having a Google account so I think the preferred method is to use the tool linked below to sync Outlook with your Google Calendar (assuming you have a Google account you automatically have a google calendar too), and then let your phone sync with Google Calendar.

http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=89955

EDIT: Just realised that only does Calendar, not 100% sure about contacts.

BigJohn

Well I don’t have a Google Calendar or a Google account but I don’t mind getting one. But is there a similar Google app for storing contact details? phone numbers, addresses, email addresses etc?

EDIT – Ahh – that’ll be Gmail then. Ho Hum another load of faffing about then.

verses

Gmail has a very good contacts system as part of it.

I’ve just found this too, I’ve no experience of it, but it might be what you need.
    https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync

EDIT: apparently that’s for paid Google Apps customers only

BigJohn

Thanks for finding that, it might save me a bit of hassle. Wish I could keep Outlook and sync straight to it tho.

How’s about synching music with iTunes? Anybody?

clubber
    Free Member

Why on earth would you keep using iTunes if you don’t have to 😯 😉

Mine’s an HTC and HTC Sync just syncs Outlook to my caledar with no fuss. I can’t imagine that the Orange one

cranberry
    Free Member

Not sure on your phone, but when you connect to a PC with my HTC you can set the phone’s behaviour to give access to the SD card/charge battery only/data sync/probably something else – do you have the right one selected ( the info should pop up when you connect your phone ) ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Android to PC Synch Help Required’ is closed to new replies.