Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Android & GPX Files
  • thepodge
    Free Member

help please…

I can find loads of aps that will track where i've been but non that seem to show me where to go.

I have a wealth of gpx files that I have created on my computer and all I want to do is load them onto my phone (Samsung GT-I5700) and view them. not really bothered for the quality of the map as 99% of the time I'll be using it with a paper OS map.

any suggestions?

Cougar

Google My Tracks? It can export certainly, might be able to import also.

thepodge
    Free Member

Cheers but i've already tried that and cant seem to import anything. its only interested in stuff its created its self.

leadbasher
    Free Member

Rmaps inport them on to your phones memory card and it can pick them up from there plus Rmaps also uses os maps aswell as many others

thepodge
    Free Member

I'll give that one a go, cheers

thepodge
    Free Member

Hi, have you tried rmaps?

i've imported my gpx but cant seem to display on a map, i guess i'm missing some vital step

Drac

http://www.viewranger.com/ is excellent I have it for my iPhone, at the minute it hasn't got all the features so doesn't do tracking but easy to follow as show the route.

thepodge
    Free Member

I looked for viewranger in the android market but its not listed.

Drac
    thepodge
    Free Member

Cheers for that, downloaded the demo but there still doesn't seem to be any way to upload premade gpx and view them

Drac

Yup there is, on the iPhone you enable wireless network in viewranger and connect to http://192.168.0.2:8080/ on your computers browser the upload through that.

thepodge
    Free Member

Ace I'll try it when I get home

Drac

I loving it at the moment for uploading and downloading onto.

This one was recorded on my iPhone and View Ranger the other night.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/34857210

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Have you tried trekbuddy? You can download full OS mapping for use offline if you don't have loads of data to waste or if you can't get signal. Gpx files can be imported and followed. Adding another program to trekbuddy allows you to get voice instructions for turn by turn directions. It doesn't update like a sat nav if u take a wrong turn but you have a compass that shows direction and distance to the next waypoint. Available in the market and full version is free. It takes a little bit of getting used to but looks good for what I need.

Another similar program is alpinequest but following gpx routes requires the full version which is a couple of quid.

thepodge
    Free Member

cool, I'll try that one too when i get home. cheers guys.

Drac

Jesus that trekbuddy may be free but it's fugly.

thepodge
    Free Member

rmaps seems to be the most promising so far but whenever I use Tracks > Import, once its found the gpx file the screen just goes blank except for a star and stop button at the top which just seem to record a track.

Trekbuddy seems like I have to create / download my own maps which is a proper ball ache

Viewranger, I still cant find a way to upload tracks, i'm guessing i have to register / buy to get the "enable wireless network" setting

Drac

Yeah maybe the iPhone didn't come with a demo but had played around with it when I had my N96 so had a rough idea what it was like.

muggomagic

i think the enable wireless setting on VR is just for iphone as you cannot access the iphone memory as a disk drive to access the files.
    There isn't a way to import routes on viewranger for android as yet (regular updates are expected to bring it in-line with the features on the symbian version)

thepodge
    Free Member

there we go then, that rules that one out (for the time being)

Drac

Ah you could be onto something there then as yes there's not all features yet for Android and iPhone. I'm waiting for the navigate feature to be added.

muggomagic

yeah there is a lot of work to be done to get anywhere near the symbian version.
    really miss the adding waypoints with photos, analyze and trip view. to have buddy beacon back would be good too.

Drac

Yeah they look like some nice additinal features but still loving it at it's most basic.

PowerTools
    Free Member

What about converting the GPX to KML which can be viewed in Google Maps? You could then save the map to My Maps, which can be viewed on an Android phone via My Maps Editor. Probably a simpler way.

thepodge
    Free Member

Its a bit long winded that way and Google maps off road is far from ideal

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Android & GPX Files’ is closed to new replies.