Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Android GPS mapping with OS maps.
  • MrNick
    Free Member

What’s the best Andriod app that displays OS maps (Landranger or Explorer), and also caches them so they work without a mobile signal?

Are there any for free? If not; what are the cheapest? I imagine you have to pay for the Ordnance Survey maps – I only need some areas of the Peak District at the moment rather than entire UK.

Cheers!

AlwaysHorizontal
    Free Member

There is a freebie Memory Maps app that reads OS type maps that you can store on your phone’s internal memory. You can ‘apparently’ find these maps on some torrent sites I’m told ;-0
    It doesn’t do full blown tracking but iirc it can show your current loaction via your onboard GPS though.

nisbend
    Free Member

I use Viewranger. You can download 1km square ’tiles’ of OS maps so you can choose the bits you need.

Excellent support.

http://www.viewranger.com

nickjb
    Free Member

2nd viewranger. Excellent bit of kit. You can cache free maps (like bing and opencyclemap) for off line viewing or pay for proper OS maps. They have loads of good foreign ones avilable, too.

PS; Drop me an email (in profile) if you are interested in buying it as I can register you so we both get some free OS map credits 🙂

s4rpf
    Free Member

I use Backcountry Navigator. you can cache all the OS and you can do GPS Tracking and export it as a GPX file. there is a demo version available so you can try it first and then its only 7 quid.

Pyro

Third for Viewranger, excellent piece of kit.

IA

I will say on a related note that it’s ace that multimap/bing do OS mapping, and version 1.8 of MOBAC was most excellent software.

Coincidentally, Alpinequest is a great app.

Make of this information what you will…

StirlingCrispin

Maverick Pro – does everything you’ve asked for.

Just surf the route at home, the route caches to the SD card, and you then access it out on the hills.

nisbend
    Free Member

Nickjb, what’s this freeby that I don’t know of? Is it a referrals thing?

timraven

+1 for viewranger

mos

Viewranger here too.

nickjb
    Free Member

Nickjb, what’s this freeby that I don’t know of? Is it a referrals thing?

Basically, yes. Pop your friends email into the Viewranger website and when they register you both get some free credits.

fluffykittens
    Free Member

Can Viewranger be installed on sd card?

MrGreedy

RMaps on your phone. Mobile Atlas Creator on your PC. Choose the Multimap/Bing OS maps as your source in MAC, create your map and download the tiles. Copy file to phone and voilá! You now have OS mapping of your choice for offline use.

If that’s too fiddly, RMaps and various others will also connect to OS maps directly for online use.

superfli
    Free Member

+6 Viewranger

Its installed on my Symbian sd card, so I expect it can on Android too.
    Fantastic app. Saved 8 of us stuck up Scaffel a few months ago in zero vis, just followed the crosshair 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Android GPS mapping with OS maps.’ is closed to new replies.