Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • android email problem
  • voodoo_chile

Having trouble sending email on android 2.2 tablet any advice?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

any advice?

Be a bit less vague if you want any help. 🙂

Cougar

Use the SMTP server for your phone service provider, not the email provider.

Also, what schrickvr6 said.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Depends on your problem. Are you finding you can only send email when connected to wifi or only when not connected to wifi?

voodoo_chile

Schricky,sarcy ****……just wont send, tried on different accounts, tried to adjust settings and it is only used on wifi as it has no sim access

Cougar

Nothing to do with being sarcastic and everything to do with not being telepathic. You OP was like going to the doctors and going “I’m ill.” Throw us a bone here.

When it “just won’t send” do you get an error? If you do, what is it? Do mails sit in the Outbox? Do they bounce? You didn’t think the WiFi connection usage might be useful information? What mail application are you using? What’s the model of tablet? Who’s your ISP? Who’s the email provider? Can you send email from other devices on your network? What settings have you adjusted? What are they now?

Jesus wept, it’s like pulling teeth.

scaredypants

steady cougar, that vein in your forehead’s off again !

OP, they’re right though
    Can you get any data connection ? (I assume there is a phone signal 😉 )
    what about gmail, is that useable ?

oldnpastit

Jesus wept, it’s like pulling teeth.

I really hope that it’s quick and painless then….

voodoo_chile

Cougar, take it easy, i am not that up on pc matters …i dont expect a full run through just a basic “have you tried this”

scaredypants

v-c, I think what he’d suggest is that the less you know, the more detailed help you need – otherwise you could just google for a list of possibles (and you’ll be there all night)

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Cougar has suggested information that would be useful or even essential to enable anyone to help you, yet you still provide nothing, not even your ISP or email provider. If you can’t be bothered to do that why should anyone even try to help?

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

voodoo_chile

Email works on other devices in the house,they dont bounce or sit in the outbox just wont send them and has no message to say why ….hotmail is the mail on virgin isp i am using with archos 70 tablet

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Have you tried using the hotmail app?

voodoo_chile

Thanks all

voodoo_chile

Thats the app i am using

neilnevill
    Free Member

I had trouble sending from my desire and my Tiscali email….cured it by setting Google as my smtp server (can be done for any email addy) my theory was keep to as much Google stuff as possible and it worked

voodoo_chile

Ta

voodoo_chile

What is smtp

bruneep
    neilnevill
    Free Member

the server that takes care of your mail.

to get google to do it you will need to open a google mail account (you need not actually USE that for mail though) then go into hte settings on google and set it to act as the server for your hotmail account (search on google’s mail pages, it exlains how and what you need to do) then go into the mail app on your tablet and give it the details of the google smtp server

enfht
    Free Member

In his defence he hasn’t called anyone a geek yet which seems to be the norm on stw when people ask for IT help

Cougar

take it easy,

It was your response I took umbrage at, not your lack of knowledge on “PC matters” (whatever that has to do with anything). It’s a lot easier to give “have you tried this” suggestions if you tell us what you’ve already tried, otherwise we’ll be here for a fortnight playing twenty questions.

If it’s Hotmail, the Hotmail app from the Market should ‘just work’ without needing settings configuring; indeed, you say you’ve changed settings, which makes me wonder how, cos I didn’t think there were any. Though in honesty I’ve not explored it in depth, so I don’t know for sure whether it has any other prerequisites.

You could also try just adding the Hotmail account in Settings / Accounts, or using webmail if all else fails.

Cougar

In his defence he hasn’t called anyone a geek yet which seems to be the norm on stw when people ask for IT help

In STW’s defence, the only person consistently labouring under the misapprehension that “geek” is an insult is your good self.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bad day at the orifice Cougar? You seem a little stressed! Beer?

voodoo_chile

Raises handbag …

scholarsgate
    Free Member

I had problems setting up hotmail.
    I used this link to get me started.

You should be able to do it with the standard email app with the following smtp settings.

smtp server: smtp.live.com
    security type: TLS
    port: 587
    Require sign-in: yes.
    Username: <your name>@hotmail.com
    password: *********

That’s mostly what I’ve got.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘android email problem’ is closed to new replies.