Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Android Apps
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Any riding/navigation suggestions?

twohats
    Free Member

ADW launcher
    Handcent SMS
    Scandinavian keyboard
    Opera mini
    Data widget
    Double Twist music player
    Endomondo
    Flashlight
    Lightsword

Don’t bother with a task killer, they can use as much power as the tasks they are killing!

beamers

Bearers, still not managed to get my head round alpinequest, maybe I need to spend a bit more time on it unless you know of an absolute dummies guide?

FunkyDunc (or anyone else having a drama with AlpineQuest)

PM me (address in profile) and tell me where you have got to with trying to get it to work and I’ll see if I can help.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

twohats comment about task killers using lots of power is right too, same goes for battery % monitors, i’ve gone through a few before I found one that was ok.

rusky
    Free Member

Free adult moves 😈
    Sickipedia
    parallel kingdoms – GPS based MMORPG
    Last.FM

fozzie
    Free Member

Beamers – thanks for ‘AlpineQuest’.

I now have a large, free 1:25,000 OS map stored on the memory card of my HTC Widlfire.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Speedx 3d

Cracking little game.

CountZero

TheFunkyMonkey – Member
    I used an iphone once and found it to be crap in comparison to the desire

You used one once. Hey, way ta go, in-depth user experience there, then. There’s nothing like full, hands-on user experience to get the strengths of something, and that’s nothing like it.
    By the way, how well does an Android phone work for blind users?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

So so

stumpy01

CountZero – Member
    TheFunkyMonkey – Member
    I used an iphone once and found it to be crap in comparison to the desire

You used one once. Hey, way ta go, in-depth user experience there, then. There’s nothing like full, hands-on user experience to get the strengths of something, and that’s nothing like it.
    By the way, how well does an Android phone work for blind users?

I think TheFunkyMonkey’s comment was in response to the comment above his original post……this one:

loddrik – Member
    I bought a desire but found the apps were, in general, crap by comparison and now gone back to an iPhone.

which your response would apply equally well too…

burt
    Free Member

@ fozzie
    can you tell me how you downloaded alpinequest as i cant find it in the app store and i also have wildfire.

fozzie
    Free Member

Burt, the website is:-

http://alpinequest.psyberia.net/english/index

I could not get the ‘market’ link or the barcode to work either so I emailed my phone the following link and clicked it to install (easier than typing the link on the wildfire).

http://res.alpinequest.psyberia.net/AlpineQuest_1.08_free.apk

burt
    Free Member

fozzie
    that worked a treat but all sorts of warnings have come up saying not to install it etc. did you get this with yours?

fozzie
    Free Member

burt, I don’t remember any warnings, alcohol may have been a contributing factor.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

any more recommendations?

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

CardioTrainer
    Sportypal
    Glyder2
    arcMedia

fbk
    Free Member

Further to my last post re Rmaps. I’ve been using it for a few days now and, when used with Mobile Atlas Creator, it’s fantastic and really easy to set up off line maps (google earth or OS, amongst others).

Just need to sort the battery life out now. And waterproof it 🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

is mobile atlas creator on phone or pc?

MrGreedy

You run Mobile Atlas Creator on your PC, select the area of map you want, the source data (Google, Open Streetmap, OS) and the zoom level “layers”. That then downloads the relevant tiles and creates a file – transfer that to your phone, tell Rmaps to use it as custom offline map and voila – free and legal OS mapping even if you haven’t got a signal.

monkeyp

The Moron Test

sadexpunk

can anyone recommend a file manager? so i can swap pics around and create different folders for them instaed of all in one place in no particular order? ive used it as a usb drive to do this, but on the phone theyre still all higgledy piggledy.

and also a data usage app so i can see how many texts, calls and data ive used so far each month? (vodafone if that matters)

cheers

bassspine
    Free Member

Astro
    PhoneUsage

on appbrain.com

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Marvin zx spectrum emulator.

beamers

Regarding RMaps:

You run Mobile Atlas Creator on your PC, select the area of map you want, the source data (Google, Open Streetmap, OS) and the zoom level “layers”. That then downloads the relevant tiles and creates a file – transfer that to your phone, tell Rmaps to use it as custom offline map and voila – free and legal OS mapping even if you haven’t got a signal.

Done that (in the same way that I made the maps for Alpinequest) however, RMaps isn’t finding the maps even though I have put them in the right folder on the phone’s SD card. Any ideas?

stumpy01

sadexpunk – Member
    can anyone recommend a file manager? so i can swap pics around and create different folders for them instaed of all in one place in no particular order? ive used it as a usb drive to do this, but on the phone theyre still all higgledy piggledy.

and also a data usage app so i can see how many texts, calls and data ive used so far each month? (vodafone if that matters)

I used to use Astro File Manager until they added advertising. I resisted updating it as I didn’t want adverts on it, but then one day it refused to work unless I updated it, so I uninstalled it and went for ES File Explorer which I find to be better.

I have recently started using 3G Watchdog for looking at how much data I’m using, but will probably uninstall that after a while as at the moment I only appear to be using a tiny amount of data, so am not sure there’s much requirement to track it. This month I have so far used 52MB, but I don’t really watch videos or download much stuff to the phone.

The above won’t track your used texts and calls – I’ve not seen one that can do that, but I haven’t really looked. I just check my T-mobile account every now & again.

soops
    Free Member

The move to sd app seems not to be on the android market. Am i looking in the wrong place?

fbk
    Free Member

soops – search for App2SD.

Flaperon

Don’t bother with Advanced Task Killer etc. Android is perfectly capable of managing app killing on its own, and running an app killer will only waste battery life.

The Android philosophy is to run the memory full, and dump stuff that’s not needed if extra memory is required. The development guidelines are strict and any popular app will be adhering to them.

soops
    Free Member

fbk – i have and cannot find it

spooky_b329

Tip for new users…hold down the home key and it will bring up your recently used apps. Invaluable when you are skipping between (for example) internet, google satnav and emails.

Whilst we are on the subject, how do I get swype? Does the Desire support it or do I have to trick it?

beamers

Tip for new users…hold down the home key and it will bring up your recently used apps

I’m not a new user nut I didn’t realise that little function existed. Thanks for sharing that one.

freddyg
    Free Member

Another tip. While browsing the internet – press and hold ‘back’ will bring up your history; you can jump back several pages and check out your most visited.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Done that (in the same way that I made the maps for Alpinequest) however, RMaps isn’t finding the maps even though I have put them in the right folder on the phone’s SD card. Any ideas?

Are you using the Apline Quest version of the Mobile Atlas Creator? You can tell if you start up your mobile atlas creator does it say something like: “Mobile Atlas Creator 1.7.1/ AQM”. Or you can tell by looking at the file format- AQM uses .aqm format. I don’t know about RMaps, but I have AlpineQuest and TrekBuddy which use the same method for putting maps on your phone. While both use th mobile Atlas Creator, alpinequest uses the AQM version while TrekBuddy uses the standard creator. Using the wrong version you will not be able to read maps in the 2 programs. I can only assume RMaps is the same.
    Just type Mobile Atlas creator into google and you will find it.

The reason I use TrekBuddy over AlpineQuest now is that there is a limit of three maps on AlpineQuest in the current version (old versions didn’t have this restriction), whereas Trekbuddy you can have as many as you want. Also you can upload a CMS to give you a lot more information:

spooky_b329

thanks Freddy, I didn’t know about the back button/history 🙂

bassspine
    Free Member

thanks Freddy, I didn’t know about the back button/history

likewise. Do you have any more tips like that?

Rich
    Free Member

I like Oruxmaps. Maps can be made in much the same way as for alpinequest and rmaps, just make sure the version of Mobile Atlas Creator you’re using supports oruxmaps.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I have all the uk memory maps but no memory map handset (use mates) can these maps be use with an Android Phone.

beamers

I have all the uk memory maps but no memory map handset (use mates) can these maps be use with an Android Phone.

I don’t think so, but you can make the same (i.e. OS Maps) using Mobile Atlas Creator mentioned above.

Got to the bottom of my problem with RMaps, I was using the wrong version of Mobile Atlas Creator.

However, I’m now investigating Maverick (look for it in the Market on your phone) as this can also use Mobile Atlas Creator OS maps stored on the SD card and you can also record and export your tracks to GPSies.

freddyg
    Free Member

I’ve got a legit (but quite old) copy of memory maps, where do you get the source Ordnance Survey maps for use with Mobile Atlas Creator?

beamers

I’ve got a legit (but quite old) copy of memory maps, where do you get the source Ordnance Survey maps for use with Mobile Atlas Creator?

You can choose from a number of different online sources which MAC looks to in order to create the maps. One of these is Multi-Map which contains OS mapping.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Android Apps’ is closed to new replies.