Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Android 2.2
  • legspin
    Free Member

Yesterday my phone upgraded to 2.2, what can it do now that it couldn’t before?
    Does anyone know how to get it to connect to the internet via a proxy?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

What network? Waiting for it on my Desire – on Orange.

Andituk
    Free Member

Full flash support?

And some other small things too..

legspin
    Free Member

Im on T Mobile, is that it? Although it does seem smoother.

bigyinn
    Free Member

AFAIK Orange are holding back the 2.2 release for some reason.
    I think the main updates for 2.2 are APPS can be installed on the SD card and also Video rec in HD720 where the device supports it.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Unbranded Desire on Orange here. Got 2.2 last month. Main things for me are:

-Flash 10.1
    -HD video recording
    -option to save programs on SD card
    -Noticeably faster generally

EDIT: I guess Orange are holding it back until they’ve scattered their crap all over it.

l45key
    Free Member

My Orange branded desire upgraded on Tuesday. You get 720 hd camcorder, faster performance and a few extra apps, like Google talk, flashlight and use your phone as a wifi hotspot.

stumpy01

I’m on t-mobile and my phone hasn’t upgraded itself. I think I will do it this weekend but want to make sure I have everything updated first.

Main advantages are saving apps to SD card (although the app has to be written to allow this) and I think you can use it as a wi-fi hot spot.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Okay thickk question then – how do you know when it’s upgraded (on Orange)?!

stumpy01

If it does is automatically, it should tell you that an upgrade is available and do you want to proceed with it.

If you go to settings>about phone you can check your current s/w version and also check you have system software updates ticked.

EDIT – for some reason though, my phone is configured to automatically check for updates but hasn’t told me that 2.2 is available for my phone on T-Mobile. I’m gonna do it myself at the weekend.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Press menu
    select settings
    select about phone
    select software information

Android version should be 2.2

if not, you can check for a new version from the about phone menu by selecting system software updates

Orange 2.2 desire update

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Still on 2.1. Oh well!

mr_krabs
    Free Member

It will come up on the screen.

Update available. Do you want to download and install………..yada yada yada.

You can also go to settings, about phone, software, check for updates now. My desire had another post 2.2 update through the other day. It now has a slightly different keyboard, and a button on the keyboard for speech to text. Doesn’t work, but it’s a nice feature.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

IPlayer works a treat on android 2.2

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Your phone can now act a 3G wireless router for your laptop or other devices that you might want to connect to the internet.

hainman
    Free Member

if you go onto android forums it tells you how to debrand your handset,i had unbranded one untill dropped it in ma T so got new one from o2,**** branded oot its nut and wouldnt take froyo 2.2.o2 aint ready to release it yet but mine is now working smooth and had nae o2 bubble pish and has wifi hotspot so can work my laptop off it and has other wee updates plus a cool wee htc flashlight that you can choose 3 brightness settings,plus my battery is a wee tad better get a day and a half to 2 days now,

hainman
    Free Member

legspin
    Free Member

Stumpy I have a feeling that the update is not available to all and will be rolled out incrementally, I got my Desire very early or I’m just lucky. My wife’s Desire hasn’t got the update yet.

legspin
    Free Member

I’ve just noticed that the area for typing txt messages is larger which is quite a bit better….simple things

paul_m

Text to speech work on my desire. Just hold the button for a couple of seconds (like for shifted letters etc) and it seems to work well

cynic-al
    Free Member

Odd, my orange Desire is telling me there is no upate available.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Al – judging from the nerd forums, it must be on some sort of roll out system. Some have it, some don’t.

fbk
    Free Member

Lots of stuff on the Forums about this. The Orange update has been released in the past day or so but seems to be rolling out incrementally. Keep checking and you’ll get it eventually.

I had an Orange branded phone but “debranded” it as I was sick of all the crappy Orange branded software on it and bored of waiting for updates – as above, on non-branded phones there has actually been a further update since 2.2!

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

make sure you still download adobie flash player from the market, you can watch any films on the internet great for vimeo or pinkbike films. You can also you your mobile as a hotspot for your laptop or other device to connect to the internet. its a fair bit smoother and faster in all respects.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Doesn’t de-branding screw your warranty?

chvck
    Free Member

In my experience Orange are pretty crap at releasing firmware updates, sometimes they take forever to add all their crap into it and OK it.

stumpy01

legspin – Member
    Stumpy I have a feeling that the update is not available to all and will be rolled out incrementally, I got my Desire very early or I’m just lucky. My wife’s Desire hasn’t got the update yet.

Must be just lucky, as I bought mine on the 1st weekend they were available from T-mobile. Not because I was queuing for it or anything, just happened to be looking for a new phone (and getting as far from Vodafone as possible) & was pointed in the direction of the HTC.
    Not overly bothered about upgrading, but will definitely do it when it’s available if it does offer benefits.

I like the sound of the text messaging area being bigger. Never understood why it was so pokey in the first place.

Hmmm – just did manual check and it is available – not sure why mine hasn’t shouted at me that there’s an update waiting….. Will definitely be doing it this weekend once I’ve backed up my contacts & really important pics of my bike lent up against posts.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Doesn’t de-branding screw your warranty?

Possibly, although if it is not completely dead, you can always reflash the original one back on. If it is so broken that you can’t reflash it, then no one will know anyway.

There is a slight risk of making it go bang in the debranding process, but if you charge the phone up and follow the instructions it is fine. Lots of neat little hacks you can install too – like on mine the battery indicator has a circle showing the fullness, but also a little number in the middle which shows the exact percentage of battery left, also you can uninstall rubbish built in applications that you don’t need (like stocks), and make sure you always get the latest software updates even if they’re not officially released for your phone yet.

Joe

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

My Desire updated to 2.2 a few weeks ago and since then BBC sport websites with video content crash the standard web browser. If I turn off Java in the web browser settings the page won’t crash but it says below where the video content should be that I need Java to view it.

Can any of you 2.2 users out there try and see if the same happens on your phone please.

One of the pages that crashes is:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/football

Thanks.

Keith

ads-b
    Free Member

Keith,

Thats a common problem. When you click on links it probably is a bit off centre too (the green box).

You can get the page to load up by disabling plugins (go to settings and scroll down when in the internet ap). It doesnt fix it though. No idea if its BBCs fault or the Adobe 10.1s fault.

edit: you already said about disabling flash- so I cant help any further.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Thanks ads-b.

At least that will stop it crashing. It’s a bit frustrating though as I used to watch the video content fairly often.

I’m sure I read somewhere that there was some legal issue between Java and Google, hopefully it will be resolved and an update will follow.

Ta.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

put plug ins to on-demand

and install the flash player app from the market.. my browser never crashes now!!

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Did the on demand thing, works a treat. Thanks Spankmonkey.

legspin
    Free Member

Still cant move my favourite app, mytracks to mem card. Although hopefully my tracks will be updated soon.

Makore
    Free Member

My son has an unbranded Desire on Orange (running 2.1). Is there an easy way to update to an unbranded 2.2 without waiting for the branded Orange version? (I assume it would be better to avoid the branding if possible).

fbk
    Free Member

Makore – Did it come unbranded or has he flashed an orange phone with a generic ROM. Either way, If the phone has been unbranded you should be able to update OTA using the above methods (assuming he’s running a standard ROM, not rooted). The important thing is, if he’s unbranded it himself, he’ll need to keep the SD card in the phone that he used to flash the ROM in the first place (ie, a goldcard) during the update procedure [/geek] 😉

Makore
    Free Member

fbk – You’ve already lost me there! It came unbranded with T-mobile but he swapped to his Orange sim card because it had more minutes, internet etc. I thought maybe there would be a site he connected to, and a download later it’s all up and running. If it’s complicated I don’t want to risk messing it all up…..

bassspine
    Free Member

My citrus Desire doesn’t seem to want to update when I check 🙁

As an aside – Swype, I think it’s amazing, I wish it would work on my laptop k/b. Anyone else tried it?

TheFlyingOx

Haha! I’m laughing because I have a Sony X10!

\not really laughing

retro83
    Free Member

As an aside – Swype, I think it’s amazing, I wish it would work on my laptop k/b. Anyone else tried it?

Yep, I love it. It’s one of those things where once you’ve tried it, all other phones without it seem unbearably slow

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Android 2.2’ is closed to new replies.