• This topic has 50 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • And Britain just keeps getting greater…………
  • TheDoog
    Free Member

More disbelief here

Drac

Yes and that's all of Britain. 🙄

higgo
    Free Member

Edinburgh.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why do folk post this stuff up?

Are you a Telegraph/Mail/Sun reader?

johnners
    Free Member

I'm forever doing that to babies dummies, and so is everybody else I know.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

And this affects the reputation of Britain how? A scumbag is a scumbag regardless of where he or she is from. I fail to understand why this makes Britain great or otherwise.

Drac

Why do folk post this stuff up?

Because they think it's very current affairs.

TheDoog
    Free Member

Why not post this stuff up? Its a chat forum isn't it? Makes a change from the latest Apple gizmos.

toppers3933
    Free Member

my wife is a childcare social worker and believe me, thats nothing.

Edric64
    Free Member

I thought you pacified kids with Calpol and if that failed Bailey's?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I actually think Britain is great doog, and crap like this makes no difference to me. I think Britain's great because of its diversity, its funny, creative people, the NHS, its music, sport, and how the majority of its people are self deprecating, piss taking, irreverant and above all decent. You know what? I wouldnt want to live anywhere else.

TheDoog
    Free Member

Ok so the thread title was prob a bit over the top and as such i recant it, i love living here too and wouldn't want to go anywhere else, i just see stuff like that though and, being a parent myself, can't understand why or how someone is in a situation where they feel their only option is to give a baby methadone. Surely no one is that ignorant??

toppers3933
    Free Member

despite what i hear about daily, i'm +1 for barnsleymitch.

toppers3933
    Free Member

you have to bear in mind not everyone has the values that you do.

Drac

Doog people do some incredible things, maybe because they are unwell or in desperate situations. As mentioned up there this is tame compared to some things that happen. I've members ifsociety at a shocking low that people just wouldn't believe. But there few and many get themselves out of it b

JulianA
    Free Member

barnsleymitch – Member
    I think Britain's great because of the NHS. You know what? I wouldnt want to live anywhere else.

Think about it. And then think about where else you might want to live.

OK so slight misquote.

boxelder

Prescribing methodone to mothers with infants probably isn't a great idea. The lengths we have to go to in school for safeguarding of kids is verging on madness, when you see what parents can get up to.
    These spending cuts will sort out Social care.
    I'm with you on not wanting to live anywhere else….

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Julian – I was just listing some of the things that make me proud to be British, and at the risk of sounding thick, I dont understand your point.

TheDoog
    Free Member

Julian – I was just listing some of the things that make me proud to be British, and at the risk of sounding thick, I dont understand your point.

Must admit it had me scratching my chin too.

toppers3933
    Free Member

prescribing methadone to mothers is better than leaving them on heroin. and how exactly will the spending cuts sort out social care. changing the way benefits are handed out would be a real good start.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

barnsleymitch – Member

I actually think Britain is great doog, and crap like this makes no difference to me. I think Britain's great because of its diversity, its funny, creative people, the NHS, its music, sport, and how the majority of its people are self deprecating, piss taking, irreverant and above all decent. You know what? I wouldnt want to live anywhere else.

+1

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I actually think Britain is great doog, and crap like this makes no difference to me. I think Britain's great because of its diversity, its funny, creative people, the NHS, its music, sport, and how the majority of its people are self deprecating, piss taking, irreverant and above all decent. You know what? I wouldnt want to live anywhere else

Well said, sir!

bassspine
    Free Member

put it this way – it's so rare that a single isolated incident has made the headlines. If it was common, no-one would notice. That makes this a piece of good news.

grumm
    Free Member

prescribing methadone to mothers is better than leaving them on heroin

Actually it would probably be better to prescribe heroin.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I'm with barnsley mitch. GB rocks. Every society has these sorts of problems. It's how you deal with them that matters, and in many places nothing would have been done, there would have been nothing to help the kid in this situation. Yes, things go wrong (baby P etc), but all in all, Things are handled well.

I think most of us (me included) have no idea how lucky we are to live in the UK

jon1973
    Free Member

Actually it would probably be better to prescribe heroin.

Probably best to take the children in to care and then treat the mothers.

binners

Don't worry. It happened in Scotland. In a few years they won't be part of Britain (Great or otherwise).

Then we'll all be able to point and laugh, like we do when those stories come on the news about those kerazeeeeeee Americans, when one of has eaten so much he now weighs more than his house. Or something…..

konabunny
    Free Member

Probably best to take the children in to care and then treat the mothers.

In whose interest is that?

konabunny
    Free Member

PS when my cousins were growing up in Iran or Nigeria (they moved around a lot – can't remember which one it was), the babysitter used to give them some sort of opium milky drink to make them sleep.

bol

barnsleymitch – Member

plus 1

I actually found that quite moving. Couldn't have summed it up as well myself.

Moses

No change there.
    My parents still have an old family recipe book from the C19th, with a child's sleeping medicine that's basically opium, alcohol and sugar.

I'm sure it worked

toppers3933
    Free Member

lets just go back to how it was in the 1800's shall we? ill look into opening a workhouse for all those orphans.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely no one is that ignorant??

Read and weep mate.

But yes – thick/disturbed/derranged/desperate people everywhere, nothing to do with Britain.

Drac

A lot of maternity units have midwives that look after the heroin babies. They get assesed some keep the babies others have them taken into care. Who does benefit ? The child and mother.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

It's happened for years one way or another. Before methadone it would be brandy or whisky.
    Drac is spot on, that current processes include assessement pre birth and post delivery to assess parenting competence.

A few years ago I worked in an area with quite a high number of methadone users, and in 14 months saw at least 4 methadone overdoses. All described as "accidental" by the parents, but life threatening in two cases, history of all kids were that they'd had to undergo a withdrawl process at birth. Got a mate currently working on a special care baby unit and things have not changed, still got a lot of babies being born to drug dependent mothers needing withdrawl management.

trailmonkey

I think Britain's great because of its diversity, its funny, creative people, the NHS, its music, sport, and how the majority of its people are self deprecating, piss taking, irreverant and above all decent

I don't have a problem with diversity, in fact I positively welcome it but to place it first in a list of things that enriches your life just sounds quite false at best and downright patronising at worst – Yeah I love brown people, I think they're great.

If you were going to list the Notting Hill carnival or going for a curry or growing up with 2Tone music, I could understand that but to just state diversity as a generic commodity only proves how people see different cultures in England as still being other.

Drac

Trailmonkey I think you've read way too much into that and it's not what he meant. Even excluding different cultures for it's size the uk is very diverse. So really it's you acting like that claiming such a thing.

yunki
    Free Member

but to place it first in a list of things that enriches your life just sounds quite false at best and downright patronising at worst

That's not very astute.. we're talking about a news story where a British person has done something quite controversial and then we are discussing that story with a random bunch of humans with a whole heap of different values, beliefs and opinions..

Being a member of this forum reminds me daily exactly how diverse our British culture is..

trailmonkey

So really it's you acting like that claiming such a thing.

I'm being patronising by suggesting that the many facets of a multi cultural society aren't just a generic other ?

If you're suggesting that I haven't given examples of a wide enough diversity then perhaps you're right but as you say, it'a a pretty wide catchment area.

I stand by what I said.

Drac

Yes comments like "Those darkie fellows they know how to through a party. And those Indian chaps they can do some really good good, careful though it makes ones Tongue sting, watch in the morning too it can make ones bottom quite runny old chap." See how it can be twisted.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘And Britain just keeps getting greater…………’ is closed to new replies.