Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • An interesting 'what all-in-one scanner/copier/printer for about £100?' thread
  • IHN

Well, alright, it’s not interesting at all, but still.

What all-in-one scanner/copier/printer for about £100? Need one for light home office use. Would like colour printing, doesn’t have to be photo quality though.

I’m guessing that they’re all much of a muchness…

P20

We bought a Kodak one, mainly as it was on offer and the cartridges are cheap (£20 both). It is however the loudest/noisiest printer on earth. Does the job

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I bought a HP B110 from Amazon last january for about £35. All seemed good, until last week (note, just over a year since purchasing) when the “ink system has developed an error”. From googling, it seems its fatal, so now I can’t even use the scanner on it as it won’t boot up.

Rubbish 1-year warranty and 1-year design life…
    I’ll stick to seperates in the future.

ransos
    Free Member

We have an Epson one, which costs about £60. Photo printing and scanning is v. good quality. The only irritation is that I can find no way of remotely turning it on (it’s networked).

Given that the cost of replacing all the ink cartridges is about the same as buying a whole new printer, I suppose they’re viewed as disposable items these days.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

the cost of replacing all the ink cartridges is about the same as buying a whole new printer

which is a bind after I bought a bulk box of cartidges from ebay for a bargain price. Kind of restricts the replacement model…

mustard
    Free Member

ir_bandito – what did you expect for £35?!

Given that the cost of replacing all the ink cartridges is about the same as buying a whole new printer, I suppose they’re viewed as disposable items these days.

I can’t stand the whole disposable culture we’ve gotten into, I’d happily pay more for a reliable machine that would last than get a cheapie that needs replaced every year. Must start researching this actually as I decided at the weekend that I abuse the facilities in work too much…

IA

I’ve one that’s decent that i’m looking to get rid of, but CBA to post. So if Edinburgh’s handy then you’re welcome to one…just needs some ink to run.

maccruiskeen

I’d happily pay more for a reliable machine that would last than get a cheapie that needs replaced every yea

What you pay for the machine is moot. A printer doesn’t really cost less to make and sell than a set of cartridges, they are sold at a loss as the profit is in the ink.

spooky_b329

Just bought a £38 ‘all-in-one’ Epson Wifi printer from Argos, currently on half price. Cartridges are about £8-10 for black and individual colours (plus 10% off if you buy extra’s with the printer. Wifi is good as the printer can live in the spare bedroom whilst I print stuff from the comfort of the sofa 🙂

Kodak does have cheap ink but I think the colour cartridges are combined, so if you print out lots of one colour (blue skies or perhaps a logo on letters, you have to stump up the cash for all the colours at once) when its only the cyan you’ve run out of. Also the printers are more expensive.

Not sure how up to date this is, but apparently Lexmark and HP have the print heads integrated into the cartridges, which is the reason they are the most expensive, but also means the printers are not so ‘throw-away’. Most printers, you cannot replace the print heads.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Lexmark X6690.
    Ink is reasonably cheap, does everything I need and it’s Wi-fi enabled so you don’t need to hook it up to a pc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

No need to pay £100, we have an excellent HP wireless one which cost £65. It can do photo quality of you want to pay for the paper and the ink. It has large black catridge and another for colours which is very useful as for home/office the black always runs out first.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Epson SX515W here.
    Works fine on wifi for both scanning and printing.
    Compatible cartridges typically about 70p -ish each.
    Think the machine cost about £45.

a review here

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’m looking for one as well.

and as Ecky posts the EPSON SX445W is at the top of my list.

It’s one of the smallest as well.

And epson is a Decent make.

Currys comet are selling it for 59£ at the moment down from 99 which may mean a new model is coming soon.

maccruiskeen

I’d try to get separate colour cartridges rather than combined – in fact now its the ink I research and I buy a printer to fit. Otherwise you end up junking expensive cartridges which still have ink in them. Especially if you are printing stuff that has a lot of graphic content- flat colours rather than photos

One snafu I’ve had with combined scanner/printers is many feed paper in from the front, taking it round a tight curve and out again, problematic if you have to printer onto thicker paper – like photo paper or transparencies.

ransos
    Free Member

Just bought a £38 ‘all-in-one’ Epson Wifi printer from Argos, currently on half price. Cartridges are about £8-10 for black and individual colours (plus 10% off if you buy extra’s with the printer. Wifi is good as the printer can live in the spare bedroom whilst I print stuff from the comfort of the sofa

Can you turn your Epson on remotely? I can’t find a way of doing it, which is a bit of a pain because we keep the printer in the spare bedroom and have the laptop downstairs.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The SX515W just hibernates after a while when not in use and wakes up when you send anything to print.
    You don’t need to switch it on remotely, as you never switch it off.
    I’d assume all the Epsons behave similarly. Don’t know what the power consumption is like in that state but it clearly appears to be designed as a “hibernate” mode as the print head “parks” and the display goes off after a few minutes of inactivity.

eyerideit
    Free Member

found this company link that sell a full set of Espon ‘fox inks for £18.

z1ppy

Just about to buy a Canon MX410 on offer for £40 from Staples, supposed to be better quality output that the kodac, and given the price difference, the ink price should be offset for a while. We don’t do a huge amount of printing, it more about being able to scan as our current HP is dying.

Bear in mind that new printer are only ‘supposed’ to come with half full ink cartridges, it’s not that much of a bargain.

jeff
    marcus
    Free Member

You can have my HP officejet thingy for the price of a curry if you colllect.

MrOvershoot

HP 7510e
    Have one of these seems good so far

chakaping
    Free Member

Mustard +1

I have got through 3 in 3 years and would happily pay more for one that just flipping worked.

tonyplym
    Free Member

If you can afford a little more then you might find an Epson WorkForce Pro WP4515DN worth a look – I’ve just purchased the “print only” version (WP4015) and am very happy with it – networkable, duplex printing and decent sized individual ink cartridges. Best price probably from here – they delivered mine very promptly. Also comes with a 3 year Epson warranty.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

We have the Epson SX535WD

Great printer, wife uses it for business.

spooky_b329

Can you turn your Epson on remotely? I can’t find a way of doing it, which is a bit of a pain because we keep the printer in the spare bedroom and have the laptop downstairs.

No, and I didn’t notice anything in the manual about a sleep mode. It did cross my mind as well when I was choosing one, but I decided it was still easier to run up and plug it in, rather than carry the laptop upstairs and fish the USB lead out from behind the desk.

But Lidl are/were selling those 3 packs of remote controlled sockets, quite tempting as you can turn off sockets with the remote that normally require hanging perilously over the telly whilst balancing on your big toe 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I recently bought an HP Officejet 6500a, wireless printer, copier, fax, scanner with double side printing, HP e-print ( email what you want printing as an attachment to it from anywhere). We can even print wirelessly to it from the IPad too.

Less than £100.

Fairly happy with it so far.

z1ppy

Well I wandered down to staples and went to buy the printer, spoke to an assistant and got asked “so what printer cartridge pack do you want with it sir?…
    Eh? Do what?
    They don’t come with any bloody ink… what the fricken point of that then?

He says it’s been a normal thing for the last couple of years… I thanked him for warning me (customers have been returning them due to this) promptly reversed direction and wandered off.

So these Epsons & HPs recommended above, do they come with any ink?

CaptJon
    Free Member

I was looking at nice shiney colour laser printers online the other evening. I got a bit carried away with all the fancy stuff i could print on them, and almost clicked buy. Fortunately i had a quick look at the price of replacement ink… half the price of a new printer!!!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘An interesting 'what all-in-one scanner/copier/printer for about £100?' thread’ is closed to new replies.