Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Amplifier woes
  • edoverheels
    Free Member

I have a Cambridge Audio Azur Amp that seems new to me but is probably 6 or 7 years old. One channel keeps dropping out. Can’t find anyone to fix it. I can change cam shafts but cannot do electrics. Do I forget it and throw it away or keep striving for a repair?
    (I am looking to sort out HFi with DAB and I pod etc which hasn’t made it easier to decide)
    Wondering if STW was going to be useful or usual abuse and flame fest.
    I listen to a lot of music but a bit of a kit luddite but with bikes I am the oposite.
    Any words of wisdom about amp repairs gratefully received

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why can’t you find a repairer?

What’s it worth once fixed?

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Amazing , I have a Cambridge Amp that did exactly the same, then it packed totally and no sound. Someone looking at it next week but they assure me it can be sorted for pence.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Depends which model it is.
    Repairs are never cheap, generally because of labour costs.
    It might be cheaper to pick up a s/h one on ebay.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Lots of amps have channel protection circuits which will shut the channel down if too low a resistance is seen at the output. This could be a fault with the amp but may also be a short in the speaker cable or a faulty drive uniting the speaker itself.
    An easy and free way forward is to swap speakers AND the cables. That will tell you where the problem lies. A classic where unterminated cables are used is for a few strands of the + and – to be touching intermittently. Does the amp run very hot? Could be thermal protection but I’d expect that to kill both channels.

edoverheels
    Free Member

I googled it, but it was just guitar or valve amp repairs. Fair enough if that is the case and I will use this as an opportunity to make changes. But, just goes against the grain to bin something that seems fine for me at the moment.
    In the old days there seemed to be lots of people that could fix hifis, maybe not any more.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Google the fault – I did and fixed a dab ipod dock for 50p.

I’d be surprised if there were no repairers nearby…

RichPenny
    Free Member

You may find someone local to fix it, but it’s not that easy to make a living doing that sort of work these days. Your attitude is the right one though and I hope you do get it sorted.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Amplifier woes’ is closed to new replies.