Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • american iphone
  • sweepy
    Free Member

A friend is going to America tomorrow. Is there anything to stop them buying an iphone over there and bringing it back for use here?
    Thanks in advance

jonk

If its sim free then it will be fine. Apple warranty is world wide.

SBrock
    Free Member

You will have to buy a uk ad charger but a small price to pay for the saving, but use one from your iPod or iPad.

joemarshall
    Free Member

If it is on Verizon, it won’t work in the UK at all – totally different network technology.

If it is on AT+T, it will work in the UK if you jail-break it. But you will have to buy a 24 month contract with it, making it a very expensive way to buy one compared to buying a UK Sim free iPhone.

Last I heard, you couldn’t buy Sim free phones in the USA generally, unless it’s changed in the last couple of years.

peteimpreza

You can now buy contract free iPhones in the USA. Just drop your own SIM in and off you go. But as said above don’t get a Verizon one as they are for a netwrok standard not used over here.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Oh, looks like you can now at least for iPhones, but the price isn’t massively different (remember that US prices don’t include sales tax), and you’d have to cross your fingers with the warranty if anything goes wrong (apparently sometimes they do support it, sometimes they don’t).

speed12
    Free Member

I have a feeling the 4S is a ‘worldwide’ phone in that it can work with any of the different network systems (rather than the separate Verizon ones in the states) – may be wrong on this though.

speed12
    Free Member

iPhone 4S world phone

Yeah, there is now no longer a Verizon (CDMA) iPhone, so any you bought in the states would work well over here or anywhere in the world.

vinnyeh

Phone is the same price in the UK and US, only difference is the sales tax added on, (obv.20% here, whatever is appropriate for the American state you buy in). Not much in it really- I wouldn’t call it a ‘must buy’ for the saving alone.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘american iphone’ is closed to new replies.