Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • American history documentary series from 1980s??
  • Turnoisier
    Free Member

I’m desperately trying to remember the name of an epic documentary series about American history. It must have been shown on either BBC2 or channel 4 in an early evening slot (probably 5-6pm) at some point in the mid to late 1980s, and seemed to go on forever. As far as I remember, it focused quite heavily, but not exclusively, on the expansion of the west and the ‘Indian wars.’

I realise that this is not a great deal of information, but I would be delighted if anyone is able to help. If you can, you’ll probably be in your late 30s or early 40s, and watched it after school like me. I’ve spent some time looking for it on various websites, but without any luck so far.

It’s starting to drive me slightly crazy. Hence this last-ditch appeal to the collective mind.

Alternatively, if anyone could recommend a similarly epic ‘History of America’ documentary series, that would help to ease the pain.

Cheers!

woody2000
    Turnoisier
    Free Member

Nope.

It was narrated by someone with a wonderful deep, flowing, slightly melancholic American accent. The film ‘Wisconsin Death Trip’ reminded me of it, partly because of the narrator’s voice.

IHN

I remember that too I think. Was it basically a massive montage of black and white images with a voiceover?

Turnoisier
    Free Member

Yes! Yes it was! I don’t remember any interviews with knowledgeable historians, politicians or anything like that. It was very much a ‘this is how it was’ sort of documentary.

Any ideas?

Jamie
    Free Member

The only notable US documentarian I know of, is Ken Burns.

Turnoisier
    Free Member

If it were being made today, it would almost certainly be narrated by Morgan Freeman…

Turnoisier
    Free Member

It wasn’t by Ken Burns, I don’t think. I’m pretty sure it was shown in the UK in the late-ish 1980s.

Jamie
    Free Member

Alternatively, if anyone could recommend a similarly epic ‘History of America’ documentary series, that would help to ease the pain.

Audiobook, but it’s weighty:

David Reynolds – America, Empire of Liberty

Amazon Links:

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

Turnoisier
    Free Member

Thanks, Jamie, I will check that out.

IHN

Weren’t there (at least) a couple of series? I seem to remember one on the West (called simply The West, or A History of The West or something?) and one on the Civil War

weare138
    Free Member

Was it the Civil War documentary?

Turnoisier
    Free Member

‘The civil war’, I think, is a series by Ken Burns, whom Jamie mentioned.

The one I have in mind was broader in focus, and dealt with the Indian wars in great depth.

There are various documentaries with ‘the west’ in the title, but I haven’t been able to find the right one from the 1980s by searching for that phrase.

JoB
    Free Member

i think i know what you mean, might have been later than the 80s though, seem to remember it being broadcast over several days over the christmas period in several 2-3hr segments?

it’s bugging _me_ now 🙂

Turnoisier
    Free Member

Delighted to have infected someone else with this problem 🙂

It may have been repeated in the 1990s over Christmas, as you say, but I’m certain that I watched it with my brother after school over a period of many weeks. I may be confused, but I don’t think so.

hels
    Free Member

“Eyes on the Prize” was a documentary about the civil rights movement.

IHN

i think i know what you mean, might have been later than the 80s though, seem to remember it being broadcast over several days over the christmas period in several 2-3hr segments?

Me too

it’s bugging _me_ now

Me too!

FuzzyWuzzy

Not sure of the one you’re talking about (the only b&w montage one with the distinctive drawl-ish voice was the Civil War one that I can remember). For a more modern one then “America – The Story of Us” I thought was a good watch

http://www.history.com/shows/america-the-story-of-us#

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘American history documentary series from 1980s??’ is closed to new replies.