• This topic has 27 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • american gun control law watered down
  • titusrider
    Free Member
    yossarian
    Free Member

Votes still count for more than people’s lives.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Though the opinion polls say they want more control, the NRA & Money mean more than votes and lives.

scaredypants

They should run it anyway and then watch who votes against

then shoot ’em

vinnyeh

Odd how it works, seems that polls show that the majority of people are happy with a ban, but politics means it was always doomed.

mtbfix

Unfortunately the nature of democracy means that a politicians first duty is to stay elected. Working in the national interest comes second as its hard to do when out of power. Ho hum.

molgrips
    Free Member

The problem with democracy is that it assumes people actually know what’s best for them in the long run.

footflaps

Unfortunately the nature of democracy means that a politicians first duty is to stay elected get rich.

FIFY

br
    Free Member

Unfortunately the nature of democracy means that a politicians first duty is to stay elected. Working in the national interest comes second as its hard to do when out of power. Ho hum.

And by law you elect them to act in whatever way they want, that’s Democracy.

hora
    Free Member

When will they advocate arming children?

Think I’m joking? I bet at somepoint someone will push for say 10yr old’s as sane/mature enough to carry a .22 for personal protection.

molgrips
    Free Member

Unfortunately the nature of democracy means that a politicians first duty is to stay elected get rich.

Not convinced by that superb eloquent and well researched argument 😉 After all many politicians are already pretty rich before they start, and could most likely make plenty more money being bigwigs in business than they do as MPs.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It was completely pointless. Banning ‘assault weapons’ wouldn’t save a single life. If you can’t use an assault weapon you use a shotgun. More than adequate for the job.

You either ban them all or don’t bother (and you can’t ban them all due to the constitution).

richmtb

It was completely pointless. Banning ‘assault weapons’ wouldn’t save a single life. If you can’t use an assault weapon you use a shotgun. More than adequate for the job.

Correct.

Handguns are the cause of 95% of the gun deaths in the States. Banning them was never even on the agenda

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Correct.

Handguns are the cause of 95% of the gun deaths in the States. Banning them was never even on the agenda

Right time to ban hand guns then…..

jon1973
    Free Member

Though the opinion polls say they want more control, the NRA & Money mean more than votes and lives.

I can’t see any reason why the National Rivers Authority need to be armed. It’s madness.

rattrap
    Free Member

Politicians in refusal to pass knee jerk legislation that won’t make a jot of difference to the problem shocker

JoeG
    Free Member

hora – Member

When will they advocate arming children?

Think I’m joking? I bet at somepoint someone will push for say 10yr old’s as sane/mature enough to carry a .22 for personal protection.

That is the stupidest thing that I have ever heard! 😯

Everyone knows that you need something a lot bigger than a .22 for personal protection! 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

rattrap – Member
    Politicians in refusal to pass knee jerk legislation that won’t make a jot of difference to the problem shocker

Unfortunately when you let things get this far then anything to kerb the number of nutters with guns for no practical, legal or sensible reason other than “cause we can”

5thElefant
    Free Member

Unfortunately when you let things get this far then anything to kerb the number of nutters with guns for no practical

1) Target shooting and self defence are both practical uses

legal

2) It’s a constitutional right – that’s as legal as you can possibly get

sensible reason other than “cause we can”

3) I’m tempted to give you that one, but see 1

JustAnotherLogin
    Free Member

I was reading recently about some interesting aspects to this gun issue. Firstly deaths per gun is actually very very low. There are a huge amount of guns in circulation so deaths per gun is tiny. In fact once you take out crim-on-crim killings and also suicides then the likelihood of you being killed prematurely by a gun is really quite small. The school shootings are thankfully extremely rare. Yet because of the horror of events there’s often a fear and emotion attached to gun killings far beyond the rational risks. In fact, if you worried about your child being killed then they are far more likely to drown than be shot. But there is no national outrage to ban swimming pools.

Of course banning swimming pools would be silly but politicians could probably do far more good with their limited time, money and political agreement taking more interest in deaths on the road or mental health.

I fear there will never be enough political and social agreement in the US for them to resolve the issue. We may not have the gun problem but I think we also suffer from politicians clashing on emotive issues rather then tackling things that would make far more difference e.g road deaths.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1) Target shooting and self defence are both practical uses
    legal

2) It’s a constitutional right – that’s as legal as you can possibly get
    sensible reason other than “cause we can”

3) I’m tempted to give you that one, but see 1
    The more guns the more need for self defense and the more need to propagate the fear of being gunned down in your own home to sell anti aircraft weaponry to pensioners…
    Target shooting is easy keep guns near the targets
    Bunch of spoilt brats anyway…..

5thElefant
    Free Member

It all stems to the constitution, which was admirable. No standing army and the right for armed citizens to ensure the power was held by the people, not the government.

It all went tits up, but it was a good idea at the time.

LHS
    Free Member

The time and effort being spent on this would be much better spent on tackling mental health issues. Money spent on identification, treatement and support would have a much greater impact.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It all stems to the constitution, which was admirable. No standing army and the right for armed citizens to ensure the power was held by the people, not the government.

It all went tits up, but it was a good idea at the time.
    And we all know how basing modern life on ancient bits of paper ends up…

5thElefant
    Free Member

It was fiddling things so they could have a standing army that caused the problem.

The constitution was basically the same as switzerland. They turned out OK.

binners

To be fair to the Americans. If there are 3.5 million weapons already in circulation, then any idea of control is a bit of a moot point

Its like trying to retrospectively legislate against cars

rattrap
    Free Member

Sorry, but its hard to deny that this looks like fun!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCppmoZiXUY&sns=em[/video]

JoeG
    Free Member

To be fair to the Americans. If there are 3.5 million weapons already in circulation

The number is more like 100x that amount. I found the figure of 310 million in a CNN article which estimated that number as of 2009. So roughly one per person.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘american gun control law watered down’ is closed to new replies.