Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Am I Odd?
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I was so hot at work yesterday I felt ill. So today I am wearing shorts and a T-Shirt and am still warm. Some people have the heating at full blast and are sitting around with jumpers on. The heating in my office hasn’t come on at all yet this so called winter.

So am I odd or are there others that think its a bit on the warm side?

Jamie
    Free Member

Is it that time of life?

jon1973
    Free Member

I’ve always been like that. I sit in the living room at home with shorts and an t-shirt on, while my wife has a blanket wrapped around her.

derek_starship
    Free Member

MANOPAUSE 😳

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Generally I dont get too hot when Im sitting around.

But on the Tube or Train Im always boiling also I find the air get very warm/moist and it becomes more difficult to breathe easily.

So there I am taking off layer after layer while everyone else has suits/coat/hats etc on.

Just wishing someone would open the window its very easy.

Mind, if Im working (ie sitting still at a computer), and im anywhere near an air conditioning unit its jumpers, coats and woolly hats all the way. No matter the time of year.

jon1973
    Free Member

MANOPAUSE

Hot flushes, the desire to eat chocolate and cry for no reason is not the same a being hot all the time 😉

scu98rkr
    Free Member

In response to your question Im guessing some people are sitting near an air conditioning unit.

In a modern office it is very difficult to create a stable temperature thoughout the whole room.

Most air conditioning units pump out air at one temperature. Normally then there a lot of computers or people creating heat near the thermo.

That means that the people right under the air conditioning get very cold and some one in a corner surrounded by computers will be far too hot.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m only 29 it cant be the Manopause this early in life!

And shirly symptoms of the Manopause would be more like wanting to eat pork scratchings and drink real ale while trying to relive a lost youth by taking up an ‘extreme’ sport. Hmmm

scuzz
    Free Member

Are you really fat?
    You are aren’t you.
    Fatty.
    😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Button it tubby!

Im sat in the office in just a shirt, no heating in here apart from electric jobbie which hasnt been on all week. ’tis mild indeed. Arr.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I’m generally a hot person too

I work in an office with a mental post menopausal woman who refuses to stop making exaggerated shivering noises hourly if the temperature’s anything less than 26degrees 👿
    A couple of times a day she’ll switch on a fan on her desk when she has a hot flush though. 95% of the time though she tries to set the AC to 28! + she’s got a 3KW heater under her desk.

She thinks we’re the most unreasonable people in the world wanting the AC set to a sensible 23-24 🙄

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m still wearing shorts at work….will break the trews out if it snows again (thermostat is at 14!!)

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The curry I had last night made me have the sweats all night.

But you’re right, the last few days have been warm, not like winter at all. There’s a cold snap coming though, and I can’t wait.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Early Onset Manopause then.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I’m generally a hot person too

I work in an office with a mental post menopausal woman who refuses to stop making exaggerated shivering noises hourly if the temperature’s anything less than 26degrees
    A couple of times a day she’ll switch on a fan on her desk when she has a hot flush though. 95% of the time though she tries to set the AC to 28! + she’s got a 3KW heater under her desk.

She thinks we’re the most unreasonable people in the world wanting the AC set to a sensible 23-24

Yeah but does she sit directly in the path of the air conditioning units ?

29erKeith
    Free Member

2 sets of 4 desks with an AC unit directly above the centre of each set of 4, centrally controlled, all set with low fans and are all brand new units which gently diffuse the air as much as any can (according to the AC engineer) so we’re all in more or less similar positions in relation to the units themselves.

3 sets of digital thermometers placed around the office, they’ll all be within a degree of 24 be she “doesn’t believe them” and still insists it’s freezing and wants it cranked up to 28!
    and to top it all off she’s Scottish and used to live in the north of Canada for a few years and we’re all “Southern Softies”

The company’s spent thousands trying to shut her moaning up and failed
    both AC units changes twice in the last 4 years all worked ok

rant over 😆
    she gets right on my wick!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

24 be she “doesn’t believe them”

But it wont be 24 degress all the time, air conditioning cant do that as far as I am aware.

Generally AC senses it is getting too warm then turns on for a bit. The AC then over compensate and it gets too cold so it turns off for a while. It then becomes too hot and they turn on again.

Also you have to take into account the differences in physical mass if she is a particularly small woman or you have a large surface area in comparison to your overall weight you will feel alot colder than some one else.

In my office their have been many many arguments over the air conditioning, but the workers change very quickly.

At one time people have demanded it as low as 21 degrees where as now its at 26 degrees with people complaining if it goes lower. (which I personally think is now a bit warm)

Being a baldy sitting directly in front of the air conditioning can be annoying as I often have to wear a hat while at work.

When we had it at 21 degrees i’d often have several layers on then go outside on to realise it was 28 degress or something and suddenly be sweating like the pig that knows its dinner.

I just think the air conditioning is a very personal thing and very difficult to get right.

I reckon the main problem is putting too many people/computers in the same room.

This means you have to use quite large air flows try and keep a steady temperature this has 2 problems.

1. People in the draughts are too cold, people not in them are too warm.
    2. Air flow cooling increases how different individuals feel the temperatures.
    Individuals with a larger surface area to volume are very quickly cooled.
    Individuals with a small surface area to volume will retain their heat for longer.

Therefore thin or small people general dislike the way AC tends to over then under compensate. As they need a steady air temperature for them to regulate their own temperature.

This is what happens to me sometimes when the AC is off I can almost feel sweat starting to form then suddenly its back on Im freezing.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

If AC could really create steady temperature ie 24 with out excessive air flows, people would be able to wear the correct clothing to be at the temperature they want to be at.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I’m sat here in my Buff

scuzz
    Free Member

Well, ASHRAE have a seven point thermal sensation scale, upon which occupants of buildings with air conditioning and no natural ventilation have been found to be twice as sensitive to temperature deviations than those in a natually ventilated building. Change in air speed, clothing or other physical factors only accounts for half this varience in sensitivity, they put the rest down to psychological factors.

That’s right, scu98rkr and post menopausal woman – you’re both mental.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Change in air speed, clothing or other physical factors only accounts for half this varience in sensitivity, they put the rest down to psychological factors.

Totally agree with this. When I’m out side obviously wind speed can change but often dont get the same affect as with air conditioning.

Like you say I would put alot of this down to psychological factors.

But the biggest factor is when Im outside Im generally doing something I want to do.

When your at work your generally doing something you dont want to do, all day, sitting still. If Im going to do this I want conditions as much to my liking as possible as I expect everybody else does.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My brother is like that – doesn’t feel the cold at all and happily wanders around in teeshirts all the time.

donsimon
    Free Member

I just think the air conditioning is a very personal thing and very difficult to get right.

Seconded. A couple of the main problems are that the systems can be designed badly, in that if you can feel air movement it’s designed badly, and secondly walls can move in offices so what was once a well designed system bcomes a nightmare because there is a wall right next to the diffuser or a filing cabinet disrupting air flow or someone has blocked off a diffuser somewher else in the system or attached a light fitting on the ceiling to break the air flow. I’m happy that I never designed a system badly, but I do know there were offices that had problems. 😉

toby1

I tend to find those that move around more generate their own heat. I.e. cycle to work, feel no need for heating in the office after.

That being said, it is crazy mild at the moment, I was wandering around in a t-shirt at the weekend too, I tried a coat earlier in the day and I was sweating boat loads.

It’s not fat, it’s insulation for my muscles 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Am I Odd?’ is closed to new replies.