Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Am I being ripped off?
  • shermer75
    Free Member

OK. So I bought a Dawes Galaxy- apparently a very good touring bike. On the first ride home the back wheel went very out of true and several bolts that held the rack and mudguards in place had started to fall out. Took it back, they trued the wheel, the bike managed the journey home. Then when I went to fit a front rack, two of the bosses in the fork were threaded. It had come from the factory like that. So now, considering I am planning to cycle this bike to Africa and it cannot seem to manage from Wandsworth to Clapton, I took it back again and felt I was within my rights to ask for a refund. This has been flatly refused. He is insisting on repairing the bike (a new fork is being fitted) so I'm not losing out in that way, but I have lost confidence in the bike. Am I right to ask for a refund? Should I be entitled to one? What's the general consensus on that one, eh?

druidh
    Free Member

If the shop can remedy the faults, then that's as far as your rights extend.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dawes Galaxy- apparently a very good touring bike

One of the best.

Where did you buy it? Always advisable to clean/tap threads before fitting things like racks etc, and any decent bike shop should have done that for you.

shermer75
    Free Member

Thanks druidh, that's interesting. It's good to know I'm not being treated as a mug. I don't think I'm going to name the shop until this is all over. They might come up all good in the end, and it would be a shame to give them a bad name. Have to admit it's not looking great so far though…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

druidh – Member

If the shop can remedy the faults, then that's as far as your rights extend.

Nope druidh – thats wrong – under the sale of goods act if its faulty you can insist on your money back.

If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

Its repair / replace / refund at the buyers choice

Having said that I would be happy with a properly repaired bike – I doubt you will find something more suitable. Sounds like a rubbish shop with poor mechanicing standards

Maybe speak to Dawes about it if you get no satisfaction from the shop

shermer75
    Free Member

Oh. that's not so good then is it. Hmmm.

lazlo53
    Free Member

Whereabouts in Africa?

shermer75
    Free Member

I have been trying to contact Dawes, but cannot find a phone number. Have sent an email, but the only address I could find was an internet sales one. Hrumph!!

shermer75
    Free Member

I was simply gonna head for Morocco and then go south, seeing how far I could get before the money/time/roads run out. Not much of a plan really, but it appealed to me! 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have you checked on routes south from morrocco? last time I looked it was only possible in convoys as there are bandits and minefields in the area.

lazlo53
    Free Member

Well it sounds like the sort of plan that I make, and they've mostly worked out, Bon voyage, keep us all informed if you can.

Edric64
    Free Member

Tel: (0121) 748 8050 Dawes cycles head office

35 Tameside drive
    Castle Bromwich
    Birmingham
    B35 7AG

shermer75
    Free Member

yeah, I was gonna take an Emergency Fez so I reckon I'll be alright! 😉 Only checked out the routes in a fairly braod way to be honest, which counties to avoid etc. Not really looked at the fine detail yet!!

shermer75
    Free Member

Shit, thanks Edric! Absolutely diamond!! Will definitely call them tomorrow…

dano
    Free Member

You can only take it back for a refund within a reasonable time which you have to inspect the goods, which you are well within. I would phone trading standards and get a reference number. Take the bike back to the shop and leave it with them. state you want a refund and that you are not taking to goods.
    Then buy it from a better shop.

Edric64
    Free Member

That's ok hope you get it sorted I have always liked the Galaxy .Even done cx on one .Hope your trip to Africa goes well.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I used to be a manager in a bike shop, and we were always told that according to the law, if the bike is used at all, the purchaser has to give the seller three attempts at fixing the issue before they are entitled to a refund.

higgo
    Free Member

I used to be a manager in a bike shop, and we were always told that according to the law, if the bike is used at all, the purchaser has to give the seller three attempts at fixing the issue before they are entitled to a refund.

Whoever told you that was wrong.
    Were they De La Soul fans?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

scottyjohn – follow my link for guidance on the law.

its very clear. If the goods are faulty its refund / replace / repair – buyers choice ( unless one of the options is too costly – it must never be more than the total cost of the goods to remedy)

Dano – its not a reasonable time to inspect the goods – its just a reasonable time which will depend on circumstances. It could well be months.

saleem
    Free Member

Scottyjohn.who told you that the company Human Resources 😆

bassspine
    Free Member

all I can say is, it was standard procedure to run a tap through all bottle bosses, mudguard fixings and rack mounts on all Galaxies, Sardars and Super Galaxies in the previous shop that I worked in (we sold shedloads of them by mail order). The paint is often thick enough to cause a thread to knacker if you don't.

(they are a brilliant bike, especially the older lugged frame ones)

shermer75
    Free Member

Hi Bassspine, well it's quite clear that none of that had been done. You can see the paint on the threads of the bosses that aren't used. Is it just a case of a bad shop then? Everyone is saying the bike is excellent. I just haven't seen it yet myself!!

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Very common on a lot of Dawes (I ran a shop for eight years) Have to agree with Basspine, the amount of paint in some of them was quite impressive & quality of the bolts used dreadful, so the combination wasn't good unless you chase the threads first.

bassspine
    Free Member

I'd call it a price worth paying for Dawes thick high quality paint – Ardaznailz indeed

shermer75
    Free Member

I've got the bike back, with the fork replaced, everything seems to be working perfectly well. Spoke to Dawes (thanks Edric!) and they say that their policy is to only replace or refund if the bike cannot be fixed. So the shop (Stratton Cycles in Wandsworth, London) was doing everything right as far as the warranty was concerned,. They've fixed everything that has gone wrong so far, and in very good time. Reading some of the replies here and on the CTC forum (where I also posted) it looks like they could have checked the bike over more thoroughly when I bought it, but maybe they were having an off day. Panic over! I've got my bike back. Woohoo!! 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Glad to be of service!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

shermer – warranty and your rights under the sale of goods act are not the same thing and your rights under the sale of goods act are with the shop.

Under the sale of goods act you have an absolute right to refund or replace if it is faulty.

Having said that if your bike is fixed I see no problems. Its really just poor preparation from the shop

shermer75
    Free Member

Hi TJ, does that mean the shop has to refund the money or Dawes?

MarkN
    Free Member

Your contract is with the shop as you bought the bike from them. They should take it up with Dawes, not you. Don't ever be fobbed off by a shop saying that you need to go back the the manufacturer. This is part of the sale of goods act.

Ewan
    Free Member

The shop – they are the people that you have a contract with.

shermer75
    Free Member

Interesting. Oh well, as it turned out I don't think I needed to do that but it's good to know. That would explain why the shop owner looked so panicked when I asked for a refund! Poor fella!!

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Glad it's sorted for you; the Galaxy is a great bike. Have a great time and keep safe 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Am I being ripped off?’ is closed to new replies.