Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • AM 40 flat shoes – wow
  • grim168
    Free Member

There a bit gaudy for a 42 year old but what the hell. At just over fifty quid I can cope with that. Just wait till the missus see’s them. Was gonna buy 5 10’s but thats another 30 quid. Once they are covered in shite they wont be so bad. Hope the soles last longer than my North Face trail shoes because they are chewed to bits by my superstar pedals.

goog
    Free Member

wah

I_Ache
    Free Member

Get some MP90s if your worried about the AM40s. The MP90s have the same sole and look a lot better down the pub after your ride.

I think they discontinued them so if you can find them they should be cheap.

grim168
    Free Member

Bit late for that they are here thanks to crc’s fast delivery. Glad I went a size up too.

rewski
    Free Member

They do look a bit like golf shoes, OK once they’ve been caked in mud a few times, one of my soles has been ravaged by my dmr v12s, got a years wear out of them, not sure how that compares to the 5 10s. Super grippy though. have you seen the new AM41’s, they look even more golf shoes.

rOcKeTdOg

Very 80s/back to the future, will look good only with DH pajamas

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Real pleased with mine – especially after I ‘blacked out’ the white bits with 3 coats of synthetic leather dye 😉 For anyone interested, the dye works a treat – was expecting it to just wear/scuff away after a couple of weeks, but it’s lasted months of Peak District wear.

Northwind

They’re not good looking but way better than the 5 10s I had, the construction of those was awful. Not quite as good grip on the Shimanos but still excellent.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m thrilled with mine – had them a few weeks and am liking how secure on the pedals I feel and how much more “heels down, light hands, heavy feet” my riding has become. Can’t comment on 5.10s as I was wearing (relatively sticky soled) trail shoes before.

grim168
    Free Member

fattatlasses, what make of dye did you use and where from.

FOG

I was just about to post a request for Flats that don’t look like the trainers 7 yr old boys use to twang velcro in assembly.
    These aren’t them

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Hey there grim168. I used a dye made by ‘Tarrago’, can’t remember exactly, but think I ordered direct. The website is tarrago.co.uk and the stuff is listed under shoe and fabric dyes as Tarrago Leather (Penetrating) Dye 50ml.

As far as applications goes, I cleaned the ‘leather’ bits on my shoes with meths to degrease the surface. (left the suede bits green). Painted the dye on the white bits and left it to dry, first coat looked c**p, but if you go for 3 or 4 coats, leaving it dry properly between coats (unlike me 🙄 ) it covers really well. oh BTW, one bottle is plenty for one pair of size 10’s.

Good luck

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I really like mine once I got the correct size

Why they made them in white only I have no idea

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I take it the AM 40’s are better constructed than 5:10s?

I love 5:10s but I get through them at quite an alarming rate (instructing/guiding most days). I’d be willing to sacrafice a little grip for something which doesn’t fall apart quite so often.

Stuart

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I think they are although perhaps too early to tell

They also dry quicker than my old 5.10s

jools182
    Free Member

Have Shimano still not got the sizes sorted out then?

philconsequence
    Free Member

sometimes i wonder if its not shimano but shoe sizes in general on other makes?

normally in trainers i have to go a size or 2 up, however when i bought some M&s smart black shoes (kinda figure that m&s is going to be more accurate in sizing than the average skate shoes, willing to be corrected of course) it turned out i was a size 10.5.

now for years i’ve been forced into buying size 12 trainers.

bought some Shimano’s this week and the conversion table they use suggest size 46 or something based on my M&S based sizing and they fit perfectly, better than any trainer i’ve bought.

neninja
    Free Member

I love my Am40’s – super comfy, very grippy, seem well made, keep the worst of the weather out with the lace cover and when they do get wet they dry out really quickly.

simonm
    Free Member

I have AM40s and 5tens. the 5tens grip better for DH, but there isnt much in it. Where the AM40’s win over the 5tens is the stiffness of the sole. There aren’t many flat shoes that have stiff soles.

rewski
    Free Member

I love my too, the soles are a bit shredded now, was thinking about getting them re-soled or just get a new pair. I also have an old pair of nike freeride shoes with a super padded tongue and sides, they’re still going strong, apparently nike pulled out of bike sportswear, saturated market I guess?

ahwiles
    Free Member

you could get them resoled with ‘stealth’ rubber – like what 5:10’s have, there’s a company that does this somewhere…

link someone?

rewski
    Free Member

ahwiles – I know the one – Singletrack reviewed it a few months back, cost £40 though.

Stealth Rubber

chiefgrooveguru

I wear a 42 or usually 43 in real shoes, however both my Brooks running shoes and AM40s are a 44. I’ve heard good things about the AM40 vs 5.10 durability, will report back in a few years with my own findings!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve been guiding in my AM40’s all season and they’re perfect, some wear on the soles but nowhere near being a problem. The join between the soles and uppers is still perfect, that’s where my 5:10’s failed totally. I might even get another season out of them which is a pleasant surprise after my 5:10’s didn’t last out the season. They’re just as grippy as the 5:10’s I think, although it’s hard to tell exactly how much grip a set of shoes have got.

The lace cover is great. My 5:10 laces were always coming undone! They still take some time to dry out if they get wet so are about the same as the 5:10’s there. The sizing is a bit on the small side I have found but I don’t know if they’ve sorted that out for this year.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

All good to know … Doug that’s where all my 5:10s go, shame as the soles still have plenty of life left.

Northwind

Yup, it looks a wee bit like my AM40s will actually get to wear out their sole, which to be fair is wearing a wee bit faster than I like. The sole on my 5 10s was completely mint, it’s just that every other part of the shoe fell to bits 🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

So if I’m normally a size 9 or 9.5 (depending on manfr variations), will I be a 45 in Shimano shoe world, do you think?

sambob
    Free Member

northwind, why not get it re-soled with stealth rubber?

alpin
    Free Member

FOG – Member
    I was just about to post a request for Flats that don’t look like the trainers 7 yr old boys use to twang velcro in assembly.
    These aren’t them

have a look at Nike Mogan. pref Mogan Mid.

it’s what i’ve been riding with for the past (almost) 2 years. not as soft as 5-10 rubber, but amplyly so. they’re originally BMX shoes which means you get lots of funky designs to choose from.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=de&rlz=1T4SKPB_deDE282DE285&biw=1263&bih=771&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=mogan+nike+mid&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Jamie
    Free Member

have a look at Nike Mogan.

Wot I have been using for last 8 months or so. Only £25 in the sale as well.

Northwind

sambob – Member

“northwind, why not get it re-soled with stealth rubber? “

Probably will once I’m done with the soles that are on there, the rest of the shoe seems like it’ll go on forever. Though saying that they’re only £55 new so I can see me just buying another pair, not sure.

alpin
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

have a look at Nike Mogan.

Wot I have been using for last 8 months or so. Only £25 in the sale as well.

i was in the UK last week. visited Nike outlet store and bought three pairs (two old style, one new) for 90 quid….

Woody
    Free Member

CRC have the MP90’s in white for £35 – I nearly bought a pair but after clicking on the 360deg view I think I’ll pass as I’m definitely a few decades too old for them 😳

HERE

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

woody i was considering same, but they look like cheap girly reeboks from 20 years ago but with a random rad gnarl camo sole. Guess thats why theve been discontinued and are discounted.

simonm
    Free Member

YUK ! bucket quick…

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Personal experiences are obviously gonna differ but my 5 10s lasted years of abuse. My AM40s didnt survive a year until the sole fell off. In addition the outer pvc type coating came off the whole toe box on the left one and the heel of the right making them act more sponge like. I liked them, and would rate them as a good shoe but compared to 5 10s in my experience they were very fragile.

Considering they are a similar price I would just go for a 5 10 in future as they are much more durable and grippier.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘AM 40 flat shoes – wow’ is closed to new replies.