Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Aluminium frames and braze-ons
  • ChrisL

I am vaguely aware that re-welding Aluminium frames is not very practical, as they need to be heat treated after welding. Is the same the case for getting braze-ons added to an Aluminium frame? I am not familiar enough with the processes involved to know.

I’m thinking of getting my Chameleon resprayed by Argos and if it’s practical it’d be nice if I got some cable guides for its uppy-downy seatpost while it’s with them.

ChrisL

Bump, in case the lunchtime crowd are more knowledgeable on this subject.

thepodge
    Free Member

you can’t braze aluminium.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ChrisL

So presumably things like cable guides and the like are welded onto Alu frames so will be impractical to add later?

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

What does brazing mean and how is it different to welding then?

jimw
    Free Member

Brazing is a form of hard soldering, where a filler rod of a different, lower melting point metal alloy, commonly copper/zinc, is added to the components when well below the melting point of the parts to be joined. The filler rod combines with the surface of the component material, commonly steels, to form a microscopically thin compound that holds the parts together. Welding involves heating the components and a filler rod of the same material till all reach melting temperature, forming a join that is all one material. It is possible to produce a kind of aluminium soldering with some aggressive fluxes and a lower melting point alloy rod, but in my (limited) experience is very difficult to achieve good joins as the difference in the melting points of the alloy component an the filler rod is very small!
    edit: I should have said that the melting point of all of the common brazing alloys are above the melting point of aluminium,and also aluminium is so reactive it requires special fluxes to keep clean

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s possible as the frame is heat treated.

Brazing is akin to soldering and uses lower temperatures.

thepodge
    Free Member

You could use glue on guides or some alu frames rivet them on

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Aluminium frames and braze-ons’ is closed to new replies.