Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Alternatives to Roadrat?
  • shmoo
    Free Member

Hi thinking of a new bike project. I want to do a bit of road, some light off road and mostly commuting/ riding on disused railway cycle trails (some long inclines so will need gears)/ canal tow paths on it. I want to run drops (most likely on one midge), and will be 700cc wheels with mostly cyclocrossish tyres. May also want to run cable discs in future.

At moment Cotic Roadrat seems to fit bill the best, but also looking at Surly Crosscheck (but can't use discs), Singular Peregrine would be nice but pricy alternative.

Would be using derailleur gears initailly, but may convert to Alfine once 11 speed hub comes out (if they ever sort a drop shifter).

Is it possible to use Cotic chain tugs on a Pompino inorder to run gears?

Any advise/ ideas appreciated

cheers

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Uncle john, kaff, pomp, all cheap, all good fun

orena45

New On One Pompetamine?

rootes1

Pearson Hanzo?

funkynick

I've used one of these on my Pompino before to add gears… and it works just fine.

BigDummy
    Free Member

If Cross-check appeals but for the discs then the Surly Karate Monkey would do you perhaps. You see a fair few Monkey builds with midges and the like.

I don't use drops, but am running 42mm slicks on mine at the moment, which works very nicely.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I'm in a similar situation and looking at the Kinesis Tripster.

johnners
    Free Member

My experience – had a Cross-Check, fancied a Roadrat, bought one and built it up, hated the way it rode vs the Surly, sold the Roadrat, still got the Cross-Check and love it.

I thought the Roadrat gear/chaintug thing was horrible if you ever have to take the back wheel out. Oily chain and mech flopping about, it's a complete arse. Fine s/s or Alfined of course.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Kona Honky inc or Genesis Croix De Fer

Andy

My solution for the same thing; built up yesterday morning, from some spare 29er bits and a frame off the classifieds.

Steerer tube is long as might run with drop bars.

antigee

Onzadog – Member
    I'm in a similar situation and looking at the Kinesis Tripster

nice tip thanks in the description says suitable ‘inboard’ mounted disc brake – what does that mean?

Onzadog
    Free Member

It means the mounts are on the chain stay rather than the seat stay to keep them away from the rack and guard mounts.

antigee

Onzadog – Member
    It means the mounts are on the chain stay

thanks – kinesis website suggests Tektro Lyra's but reviews don't seem great – i guess there is no reason why Avid BB7's won't fit? I'd be running STI's so i guess thats about it choicewise?

also

PaulGillespie – Member
    Kona Honky inc

am i right in thinking that kona's are only available as full builds?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I emailed Dom at Kinesis and he sent me the drawing for the rear drop outs. I scaled that up and offered by the brake I was planning on using (Hope Enduro 4, number 3 caliper 165mm rotor with adaptors for drop levers). Glad I did that as my first choice, the number 5 caliper for the 145mm rotor isn't going to fit. However, it does look like there's plenty of space in there so it shouldn't be an issue. I'd be very surprised if the Avids didn't fit.

antigee

I emailed Dom at Kinesis

thanks – i'd be surprised too but sounds like might be worth checking now i understand what "inboard" means

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Roadrat?’ is closed to new replies.